local club TT, what times/speeds do people achieve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
If you only gain a minute over a 10 by riding a TT bike you are doing it wrong!

Completed my first 10 mile TT on a road bike with clip on TT bars in a time of 27.12 a couple of weeks ago.
Did the same course last night on my TT bike in a time of 25.21.

Circumstantial I know, but I did seem to find it much easier to maintain a higher pace on the TT bike, contrary to some of the articles and comments I've read recently which have suggested that having a dedicated TT bike is one of the least important factors to going fast, when compared to things such as skin-suits and aero helmets, for instance. Not so, in my very limited experience! :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have set myself a goal of a long 23 on my road bike before I contemplate a TT bike, pointy helmet and skin suit. posted a mid 24 last year on our local course so with a bit of training I recon I might get there. Then my issue would be to explain to the wife why I need five bikes in the garage as well as hers and the kids. Now that could prove to be the real challenge. :rolleyes:

Sharky

Guru
Had our 10 last night and nearly everybody improved by 2 mins.
http://www.gravesendcc.org.uk/tens/Tens.htm

Rode the same bike, but conditions were different. Tail wind going out - opposite of previous week.

Just a reminder that you can spend a fortune on equipment, just to gain a few seconds, when all you need to do is to pray to the "Gods" and ask for a perfect windless day and you will get the PB that you want.

Cheers keith

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Completed my first 10 mile TT on a road bike with clip on TT bars in a time of 27.12 a couple of weeks ago.
Did the same course last night on my TT bike in a time of 25.21.

Circumstantial I know, but I did seem to find it much easier to maintain a higher pace on the TT bike, contrary to some of the articles and comments I've read recently which have suggested that having a dedicated TT bike is one of the least important factors to going fast, when compared to things such as skin-suits and aero helmets, for instance. Not so, in my very limited experience! :smile:

It depends on what the articles really mean and how you interpret it tbh. The way I read a lot of these articles they are referring to the frame aerodynamics really (often comparing a basic TT bike with the latest and greatest, assuming no other changes) and not so much the improved position they afford you. If you look at it in that way they tend to be correct. But when you consider the positional and handling benefits, the gains become much bigger, as you have probably found.

Had our 10 last night and nearly everybody improved by 2 mins.
http://www.gravesendcc.org.uk/tens/Tens.htm

Rode the same bike, but conditions were different. Tail wind going out - opposite of previous week.

Just a reminder that you can spend a fortune on equipment, just to gain a few seconds, when all you need to do is to pray to the "Gods" and ask for a perfect windless day and you will get the PB that you want.

Cheers keith

Ah, but if you spend the fortune and get the good weather you get even better PB's :tongue:

I do think people often overlook a roll of electrical tap in favour of spending a couple of hundred quid though :tongue:

Blue

Legendary Member
First race of 2014 done on Wednesday night. Five miles in 11:56, that's an average speed of 25.14 mph. That gives me a Club Gold standard and I came 6th out of 40 entrants.

Chuffed to bits, to say the least, as a few months of hard work paid off. I thought I wasn't going to break 25 mph because the wind was like a brick wall on the last part of the course and I lost a bit of speed going up a 1/2 mile drag to the 4.5m point, but I managed to hang on by digging deep and nearly biting through my own tongue :laugh:. Not too bad for an old codger who will be applying for his bus pass in a few weeks! All the people who beat me are between 15-30 years younger than me so I was pleased to hold my own with that age group.

Next race is next week and I hope I get better conditions for that one as it's a 10 miler and I would love to hold the gold standard.

Top Bottom