local club TT, what times/speeds do people achieve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I too will be doing my first TT's next year. Just finished building my bike from spare bits and bobs:

http://instagram.com/p/crJWkZI8Vt/

This year was all about my Marmotte mission, next year I'm going to be focusing on TT, so winter training will all be TT specific.

Nice steady winter, rideen NOT on a TT bike, harder stuff from mid-December, longer rides (2+hours for TT specific) for stamina and simply sitting on the bike, going to intervals by February. Don't bother with silly February races, too cold, too dodgy with surfaces, injuries likely from both. Ever thought of doing a bit of 'cross for variety? This helps bike handling (can be sadly poor with TTers) and stamina, plus it's quite good fun! Concentrate on a build phase and about a month before the fits TT you are intending to ride, start getting used to the TT bike position. 30 minutes at first will be more than enough,but you MUST be close to race speed after the first few sessions, to get your body used t high outputs in a very forced position. Best of luck!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Nice steady winter, rideen NOT on a TT bike, harder stuff from mid-December, longer rides (2+hours for TT specific) for stamina and simply sitting on the bike, going to intervals by February. Don't bother with silly February races, too cold, too dodgy with surfaces, injuries likely from both. Ever thought of doing a bit of 'cross for variety? This helps bike handling (can be sadly poor with TTers) and stamina, plus it's quite good fun! Concentrate on a build phase and about a month before the fits TT you are intending to ride, start getting used to the TT bike position. 30 minutes at first will be more than enough,but you MUST be close to race speed after the first few sessions, to get your body used t high outputs in a very forced position. Best of luck!

Disagree on that count. In ultimate terms you have nothing to lose by riding in TT position through the winter, but you have plenty to gain.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman

Over winter I'll be doing the hard work on the TT bike indoors on turbo or rollers. Outdoor rides will be done on the CX bike.

oldroadman

Veteran
Disagree on that count. In ultimate terms you have nothing to lose by riding in TT position through the winter, but you have plenty to gain.
I respect your opinion. Mine is based on a bit of experience and advice from high level coaches. Then again, I could be out of date, and what suits one can work for another.
As for turbo work all winter on a TT bike, hope the weather is decent so you can get out a lot. Something more boring or uncomfortable is hard to imagine.:headshake:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Agreed, and I do go out a lot during winter, in fact just about any conditions baring ice & snow. However I have a specific training plan to follow for next season based around building my stamina and threshold power for 10 & 25 mile TT's.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
So.... Did my first club run Friday, 35 'casual miles' they did a 2 mile TT train into a headwind at about 23mph which I started at the back and just lasted the distance even taking my turn on the front, struggled but hung in there, one of the other guys got dropped so made me feel better.

Turns out they've dropped the 10 mile TT in a few weeks as they haven't done all the paperwork for it....

Got a hill climb coming up though not really my sort of thing, im not built for it im far too big but might as well give it a shot...

D

Deleted member 20519

Not really relevant but I watched a video of my local club doing a team time trial and they were doing 39mph :eek:

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

so... found the local tt route and took my sparkly new canyon out for a spin to it.

did 28:56 and def had more in me. put me 98th of 140 on strava. ave of 20.8mph. To the turn with wind on my back i was up at 24.5mph.

so when the actual tt come round im hoping for 26ish

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
so... found the local tt route and took my sparkly new canyon out for a spin to it.

did 28:56 and def had more in me. put me 98th of 140 on strava. ave of 20.8mph. To the turn with wind on my back i was up at 24.5mph.

so when the actual tt come round im hoping for 26ish

Just spotted this thread and that you are from Rochester. So come along to the Gravesend CC 10 series at Grain, every Tuesday night from April 8th
http://www.gravesendcc.org.uk/tens/Tens.htm

All standards, from ex pro's to beginners. Just turn up and sign on.

Keep an eye on the website as there are currently road works on the course and some may be cancelled.

Cheers Keith

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

Just spotted this thread and that you are from Rochester. So come along to the Gravesend CC 10 series at Grain, every Tuesday night from April 8th
http://www.gravesendcc.org.uk/tens/Tens.htm

All standards, from ex pro's to beginners. Just turn up and sign on.

Keep an eye on the website as there are currently road works on the course and some may be cancelled.

Cheers Keith
i may well take you up on that. where is the grain course start finish?

Sharky

Guru
i may well take you up on that. where is the grain course start finish?

There is a map on the link above, but we meet in Power station Road just before Grain.
The course is from grain out to the Fenn Bell RoundAbout and back. Exactly 10 miles.

Cheers keith

spennie

Veteran
When I used to time trial a few years ago and still now when I go up and watch, there are people of mixed ability's and different times. Just go and enjoy yourself and have fun, because that's what everyone else is doing, your soon get hooked and times will improve.

mark william

most club 10s are usually 10 miles. a tt bike will make you roughly 1 miniuit quicker than if you were on your road bike or you could fit a aero bars.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

Top Bottom