local club TT, what times/speeds do people achieve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Probably true, tis the nature of my job.

Just wanna see where I am comparatively, im 19st and dont want to make a fool of myself
You'll also go faster than you think you will as long as you don't go off too fast.

The adrenaline, race conditions and encouragement from marshals always give you an extra surge. I thought my fast commutes or solo weekend rides when trying hard were the fastest I could do when analysing Strava or garmin data etc, but the competition manages to eek out a couple more mph.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Just do it. No one will think less of you whatever time you get. I wouldn't expect anyone to think you a fool either.
As you are effectively racing yourself (and the weather usually lol) no one cares unless you are a contender for the top places and to be there you need to have had a lot of experience, a lot of fitness and a pretty large amount of money tied up in your bike.
Just go and treat it for what it is - a bit of fun riding against the clock.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Every TT I have ridden has had mixed abilities from world champions down to, in one a lady riding a sit up and beg shopping style bike. Everyone was made equally welcome and the times varied massively. As others have said just do it. ^_^:thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Time trialling is racing.

Club time trials are not at all serious, in ours people often post times outside of 30 minutes. The fast people aren't going to be laughing at the slower people (tbh, people won't care what your time is). I always shout some encouragement as I pass any slower riders that I catch, provided I am not completely blowing by then.

The season is pretty much over, delay any longer and you will have to wait for next season, just go race! The progress you can make with a bit of motivation is immense too, so even if you post a time slower than the fast guys warm ups, you will soon be knocking chunks of time off.

BTW @Edwards80 races our club 10 on a Triban3, since you mention it, although he did just buy a new bike!

VamP

Banned
Every TT I have ridden has had mixed abilities from world champions down to, in one a lady riding a sit up and beg shopping style bike. Everyone was made equally welcome and the times varied massively. As others have said just do it. ^_^:thumbsup:

Every TT you have ridden has had world champions in it? :tongue:

VamP

Banned
No I confess the last one I rode in only had a Commonwealth champ. He only managed a world silver and olympic silver. :tongue:

That's rubbish then :tongue:

Davidc

Guru
Just do it if you feel like it. Other peoples opinions are irrelevant.

I used to do them lots of years ago, when Edward Heath and Harold Wilson were PMs. Not much has changed really. Back then we had abilities from TdF competitors to a couple of people in their 80s and sizes from painfully thin to seriously overweight. Same seems to apply now, only I don't do them any more.

As has been said before the only people who got laughed at were those who took a wrong turn - on more than one occasion me.

It's about the only time I've ridden without mudguards. Used to strip the bike down to basics and put on the wheels with the tubs on them, then afterwards put the guards, rack, lights and normal wheels and tyres back on ready for school or university commute the next morning.

Edwards80

Über Member
BTW @Edwards80 races our club 10 on a Triban3, since you mention it, although he did just buy a new bike!

Indeed! Not just TT's. I started road racing this year on it too and a couple hill climbs. Just go for it. It's as serious as you want it to be really. The bike won't hold you back at this stage, the T3 is a great bike for the money. Don't bother with TT bars yet, just get used to pacing yourself properly and save all the trick kit for later :smile:

You won't look daft. You'll just feel daft if you never give it a try ;)

Top Bottom