Local knowledge required please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few of us are planning a charity ride in summer from London to Blackpool to be completed as a kind of relay in about 24 hours. This is the first draft of the route we are planning to take and as i have never been along 98% of this route i thought we'd throw it out to the hive mind that is CC. Could you take a quick look at the route and let me know if we have picked the best or most sensible route or if there is a better way. We're planning to stay off main roads, big A roads, as much as possible and the route must go threw Penistone (funniest place name in England) and Preston.
https://www.strava.com/routes/449092
If you have an idea on the best route to take out of north London that would be good too and i know the route goes a bit funky at Luton airport, we're not actually cycling up the runway apparently :angry:.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A few of us are planning a charity ride in summer from London to Blackpool to be completed as a kind of relay in about 24 hours. This is the first draft of the route we are planning to take and as i have never been along 98% of this route i thought we'd throw it out to the hive mind that is CC. Could you take a quick look at the route and let me know if we have picked the best or most sensible route or if there is a better way. We're planning to stay off main roads, big A roads, as much as possible and the route must go threw Penistone (funniest place name in England) and Preston.
https://www.strava.com/routes/449092
If you have an idea on the best route to take out of north London that would be good too and i know the route goes a bit funky at Luton airport, we're not actually cycling up the runway apparently :angry:.

I can comment on the 50km stretch before you get to Penistone, local riding for me. You have chosen an extremely scenic route there, but it includes some of the hardest riding the area has to offer. The really hard stretch is from Bamford and is known locally as "The Strines". It is popular with keen cyclists but is properly hard. If you and your team are up for it, that's great. However, if you want to make it less difficult then you would probably need to skirt E of Chesterfield and Sheffield. Not as scenic as the Peak District but certainly easier

@ColinJ should be able to offer some advice on the bit from Penistone to Burley

OP
OP
themosquitoking
I can comment on the 50km stretch before you get to Penistone, local riding for me. You have chosen an extremely scenic route there, but it includes some of the hardest riding the area has to offer. The really hard stretch is from Bamford and is known locally as "The Strines". It is popular with keen cyclists but is properly hard. If you and your team are up for it, that's great. However, if you want to make it less difficult then you would probably need to skirt E of Chesterfield and Sheffield. Not as scenic as the Peak District but certainly easier

@ColinJ should be able to offer some advice on the bit from Penistone to Burley
Cheers but i have a feeling that the hard bit you're talking of was part of the TDF route so it has to stay (some people eh???), i will be off the bike and in the van for 20 or 30 miles around there i think.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cheers but i have a feeling that the hard bit you're talking of was part of the TDF route so it has to stay (some people eh???), i will be off the bike and in the van for 20 or 30 miles around there i think.
Yes, part of the Strines was in the TdF, although you'll be going in the opposite direction. The way you're going is harder!

This is the climb you really need to be in the van for ^_^

https://www.strava.com/segments/714675

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Yes, part of the Strines was in the TdF, although you'll be going in the opposite direction. The way you're going is harder!

This is the climb you really need to be in the van for ^_^

https://www.strava.com/segments/714675
Sweet thank you. We do have a little 17 year old whippet that we'll be keeping wound up in the van for stretches such as these. he'll get up most hills faster than a minibus filled with fat old blokes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Beggars lane is very dangerous, depending on the time of day (its a rat run to "Nexts" headquarters) and has several 'blind bends' with lunatic car drivers who get caught out on them and end up 'running wide'
I'm from Enderby originally and have lost several friends on that road.
A better route would be the A47 as at least that has a cycle path (on road) from Desford cross roads.

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Beggars lane is very dangerous, depending on the time of day (its a rat run to "Nexts" headquarters) and has several 'blind bends' with lunatic car drivers who get caught out on them and end up 'running wide'
I'm from Enderby originally and have lost several friends on that road.
A better route would be the A47 as at least that has a cycle path (on road) from Desford cross roads.
Thank you, would you carry on up the B582 and turn right onto A47?

Freds Dad

Veteran
Is there any reason you are going into Preston as Longridge to Broughton would be a more direct route.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, I was wondering why you want to go through Preston. If you insist on risking Burnley, the next logical place is Whalley and then Longridge and then Inglewhite, Inskip, Blackpool.

...and why do you want to finish in Blackpool? It's a dump. Really.

Your mad desire to ride through Penistone means you'll be tackling the Pennines. A much flatter and no less pleasant route would be up through the West Midlands and Shropshire then Cheshire.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yes, I was wondering why you want to go through Preston. If you insist on risking Burnley, the next logical place is Whalley and then Longridge and then Inglewhite, Inskip, Blackpool.

...and why do you want to finish in Blackpool? It's a dump. Really.

Your mad desire to ride through Penistone means you'll be tackling the Pennines. A much flatter and no less pleasant route would be up through the West Midlands and Shropshire then Cheshire.

TBH the route they've chosen from Matlock to Penistone is as benign as it gets in the Peak District. Other than the bit I mention upthread it is a good rolling route. Not much flat, up and down all the time but no really hard climbs until you get to the Strines. Of course it would be easier to go the route you suggest, and it is very pleasant but I got the impression that they have to go via Penistone

Top Bottom