Local knowledge required please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Your commute does not look the most direct that I have seen. :whistle:^_^

That's the I'm late for work route :rolleyes:

If you have an idea on the best route to take out of north London that would be good too and i know the route goes a bit funky at Luton airport, we're not actually cycling up the runway apparently :angry:.

The route out of London is fine, and the A1000 is the "less worst" way out of North London. Carrying on north, through my patch, it's all OK after allowing for the Luton scenic diversion. Past Milton Keynes, I'm not sure why you've got the little diversion back down to Towcester, but I've been on all the roads up to that point, and you should be fine.

Steady

Über Member
I’d consider the A52 in Derby a “big, main, busy road”, you didn’t list whether you and the group are comfortable cycling along a dual carriage way but I’m definitely not. I’ve seen people cycling along the A52 though, so it is done, just not by me, because it's outside of my risk comfort zone. :blush:

As an alternative I'd follow on Derby Road/Nottingham Road (runs parallel with the A52) past Asda from Spondon and meet the A61 at the bottom of Nottingham Road.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ok, as promised, I've been playing with my OS maps (no, I don't do Strava!) ...

The route that I am going to suggest between Towcester and the Trough of Bowland is based on scenic rides that I have done, with a little detour into Penistone and no serious concessions whatsoever to make it easier!

You could save your legs in various places e.g. by taking the A646 from Hebden Bridge to Padiham and then the A671 to Whalley but the high roads are much nicer! :thumbsup: (They might not be if it were dark by the time you got to them though ...:whistle:)

Map:

Towcester to Trough.gif

Route profile:

Towcester to Trough profile.gif

I have attached a GPX file of the route. from the outskirts of Towcester to the junction at Marshaw, just beyond the Trough of Bowland.

It is a pretty strenuous route once you get into the Peak District. I didn't bother plotting the last bit into Lancaster, but there are 2 obvious ways from Marshaw.

I don't know the roads between London and Towcester so I wouldn't offer any opinion on the choice of them.

I hope you find some of that useful!

Attachments

• Towcester to Trough.gpx
    72.8 KB · Views: 36

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ok, as promised, I've been playing with my OS maps (no, I don't do Strava!) ...

The route that I am going to suggest between Towcester and the Trough of Bowland is based on scenic rides that I have done, with a little detour into Penistone and no serious concessions whatsoever to make it easier!

You could save your legs in various places e.g. by taking the A646 from Hebden Bridge to Padiham and then the A671 to Whalley but the high roads are much nicer! :thumbsup: (They might not be if it were dark by the time you got to them though ...:whistle:)

Map:

View attachment 79643

Route profile:

View attachment 79644

I have attached a GPX file of the route. from the outskirts of Towcester to the junction at Marshaw, just beyond the Trough of Bowland.

It is a pretty strenuous route once you get into the Peak District. I didn't bother plotting the last bit into Lancaster, but there are 2 obvious ways from Marshaw.

I don't know the roads between London and Towcester so I wouldn't offer any opinion on the choice of them.

I hope you find some of that useful!

Are you trying to kill them off Colin? :laugh:
I'd suggest that there is maybe a slightly easier stretch Penistone - Outlane (after that I have no idea really, you're the expert). You've taken them via Holmebridge and then Green Gate Lane which is a really hard climb. Carrying on via Meltham you take them up Scapegoat Hill out of Slaithwaite which is probably one of the hardest hills in the area.
It's a beautiful route but proper hard. If I were riding it, I'd carry on along Penistone Road to Holmfirth. Then take the A646 towards Huddersfield. Finally turn off to the B6111 Swallows Lane (there are plenty of different ways to do this, I'd choose the simplest which is via St Thomas' Road) which meets Colin's route near the top of Scapegoat Hill.
Colin's suggestion is the most picturesque but also the hardest. I'm suggesting something about half and half (there are more urban and easier routes than I've suggested). Really depends on what you want. The prettiest roads are always the steepest around here unfortunately

ColinJ

Are you trying to kill them off Colin? :laugh:
I'd suggest that there is maybe a slightly easier stretch Penistone - Outlane (after that I have no idea really, you're the expert). You've taken them via Holmebridge and then Green Gate Lane which is a really hard climb. Carrying on via Meltham you take them up Scapegoat Hill out of Slaithwaite which is probably one of the hardest hills in the area.
It's a beautiful route but proper hard. If I were riding it, I'd carry on along Penistone Road to Holmfirth. Then take the A646 towards Huddersfield. Finally turn off to the B6111 Swallows Lane (there are plenty of different ways to do this, I'd choose the simplest which is via St Thomas' Road) which meets Colin's route near the top of Scapegoat Hill.
Colin's suggestion is the most picturesque but also the hardest. I'm suggesting something about half and half (there are more urban and easier routes than I've suggested). Really depends on what you want. The prettiest roads are always the steepest around here unfortunately
The part of the route between Towcester and Coventry is the route I do between my two sisters' homes, minus the town centres.

The route between Coventry and Hebden Bridge is the way I went in 2004 when riding back from a visit to my mum. (I rode down the week before via your local climb of Snake Pass but found it shut by roadworks on the return leg, so I went via Strines instead.). I didn't do the detour through Penistone but added that here because it was a requirement.

The Hebden Bridge to Trough of Bowland route is one that I have ridden lots of times and is very nice apart from a few boring miles through Burnley.

I admit that it is tough, but I reckon a relay team should be able to cope. I managed the toughest 240 km of it solo in about 13 hours, carrying a pannier. :thumbsup:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I know you say you're sorted for your London exit, but here for your perusal is my chosen route from London up to the Warwickshire village of Marton. I've ridden it several times (as have some other CC-ers) and it's very nice. It just about meets up with your route at Milton Keynes.

London - Marton

In planning the London exit my view was: all cycling in London is crap, and at least the A5 is straight and crap, with no really scary junctions, so escape up the A5. Leave the A5 at Canons Corner (where there is a McD's for wee stop #1) Then Stanmore Hill, only really big hill of the whole ride. There's a bit of cycle path through Watford which is all good surface, and quite pleasant (I'm quite proud of that bit). Then you're free of urban sprawl. And it's lanes pretty much all the way via Berkhamsted, Tring, Siverstone, Priors Marston.

ColinJ

I know you say you're sorted for your London exit, but here for your perusal is my chosen route from London up to the Warwickshire village of Marton. I've ridden it several times (as have some other CC-ers) and it's very nice. It just about meets up with your route at Milton Keynes.

London - Marton

In planning the London exit my view was: all cycling in London is crap, and at least the A5 is straight and crap, with no really scary junctions, so escape up the A5. Leave the A5 at Canons Corner (where there is a McD's for wee stop #1) Then Stanmore Hill, only really big hill of the whole ride. There's a bit of cycle path through Watford which is all good surface, and quite pleasant (I'm quite proud of that bit). Then you're free of urban sprawl. And it's lanes pretty much all the way via Berkhamsted, Tring, Siverstone, Priors Marston.
My route also passes through Priors Marston. Your route that far, then mine with the easier bits suggested by @nickyboy in the Huddersfield area could be a very nice 24 hour ride for the cycle relay team?

I'd be interested to know what route is finally chosen, and how the ride goes. Take lots of photos and write it up in the 'Your Ride Today' thread!

OP
OP
themosquitoking
My route also passes through Priors Marston. Your route that far, then mine with the easier bits suggested by @nickyboy in the Huddersfield area could be a very nice 24 hour ride for the cycle relay team?

I'd be interested to know what route is finally chosen, and how the ride goes. Take lots of photos and write it up in the 'Your Ride Today' thread!
I'm sure we can work out a route that won't kill at least one of us, thank for all that @ColinJ As soon as we have decided on a route i'll post it up again for another critique.

Barnet Goat

A relatively minor point but your route from Barnet to Potters Bar under the M25 (the Dancers Lane/Wash Lane section) takes you off-road onto a narrow, non-tarmaced and (today) very muddy path for around half a kilometre. It could be that you're looking for a bit of light relief before the rigours of ColinJ's section, however , if you want to stay on normal roads I would suggest either:

- Kitts End Rd, right onto Dancers Hill, left onto Baker St into PB, left Mutton Lane, right onto Warrengate Lane to rejoin your route or....
- left at Barnet Church onto Wood St, right Galley Lane, left at Horse shoot Bridge to cross A1, right Holmshill into Ridge, Blanche Lane, Greyhound Lane and then rejoin your route on Swanland.

The latter is more attractive but probable a slightly longer route. If you know your original proposed route and are happy with it then please ignore the above.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
By the way, I rode my route above yesterday. If you should be interested in using any of it, be aware that this road through Whippendell Wood is filthy dirty muddy and floody. (As are some neighbouring roads but this one in particular)

Top Bottom