Local knowledge required please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wasn't planning off-roading yesterday. Underneath all the mud and floods was a perfectly good road surface ... somewhere, or at least there used to be. Still I spent a very satisfying hour or so this afternoon cleaning my bike. It's sparkling now.

twinnies

Regular
Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys, much appreciated. Bear in mind we will be undertaking this epic adventure in June so hopefully the muddy roads will be clear by then. I will re -do the route and post it up here.........just let me get my 24 hour turbo session done first. Yes I said 24 hours! This Friday at 4pm I will get on my turbo in the foyer of my local Asda ( Lancaster) and will not get off again until 4pm on Saturday so if anyone is local come and say hello.

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys, much appreciated. Bear in mind we will be undertaking this epic adventure in June so hopefully the muddy roads will be clear by then. I will re -do the route and post it up here.........just let me get my 24 hour turbo session done first. Yes I said 24 hours! This Friday at 4pm I will get on my turbo in the foyer of my local Asda ( Lancaster) and will not get off again until 4pm on Saturday so if anyone is local come and say hello.
Good luck. Also we raised quite a bit at the ball so you might be able to get ten minutes off somewhen.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I certainly would not fancy 24 uninterrupted hours on a turbo trainer ... Even ignoring fatigue, I would be a wreck from saddle sores, a stiff neck and back, and my bladder would have exploded long before the day was up! :laugh:

Surely you would be allowed (say) a 3 minute break per hour? :whistle:

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Nope, no stopping. Twinnies is double hard and is having a catheter fitted for the day and the whole turbo trainer and bike will be mounted on absorbent pads.

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Attention again please everyone. The need for us to go via Penistone is now gone which makes the route a lot flatter and shorter, thankfully as we have now lost our secret weapon rider, but obviously now we are looking at a new route. We're missing out all the bits you advised us on @ColinJ don't know if you know much of the new bits but if any of you know anything about the roads we're planning to ride please share. Thank you.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7119713

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think you ought to revise the route-setting methodology!

This is how I do it ...

Let's say that I want to get from A to D via B and C. I start by drawing straight lines on my giant digital OS map between A and B, B and C, & C and D.

I then zoom in to see what roads are close to those lines and also to see if the lines go though any built-up areas. If the roads look a bit busy or the lines take me through congested areas, I would look at the map and decide whether to put extra 'via' points in to create lines over more promising-looking territory.

A few iterations of that process and I have the basis for my route, away from most A-roads and town centres.

The final stage is to choose the exact route, taking into account whether I want to stop anywhere e.g. a shop or cafe, in which case I would make sure that there were shops/cafes where I wanted them.

So I would be thinking 'why go through Milton Keynes', 'why go through Rugby' and so on, and route around them.

There can be 'gotchas' like major rivers to cross with few bridges, or maybe one-way systems.

My final check is to use Street View to check anything that looks iffy. If the Street View car couldn't get down the road, then I probably wouldn't try to either. (Obviously, towpaths and cyclepaths are exceptions but I wouldn't end up on those by accident!)

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I’d consider the A52 in Derby a “big, main, busy road”, you didn’t list whether you and the group are comfortable cycling along a dual carriage way but I’m definitely not. I’ve seen people cycling along the A52 though, so it is done, just not by me, because it's outside of my risk comfort zone. :blush:

As an alternative I'd follow on Derby Road/Nottingham Road (runs parallel with the A52) past Asda from Spondon and meet the A61 at the bottom of Nottingham Road.
I'd consider the A61 a fast, busy road - it's part of the Outer Ring Road. There's a cycle route that follows the River Derwent pretty much all the way through the city. I think it does close to the new velodrome, and along the river just the other side of Darley Park, which is lovely in the summer.

twinnies

Regular
Sorry for my prolonged absence guys. As Matt said I completed my 24 hour cycle ( including pee stops every 2 hours, which become every hour after 10 hours) Just short of 5k was raised so well worth the fudge pain! In fact despite covering 416.2 miles I was out running the next day, should have tried harder! Anyway I have re- done the route AGAIN! Bear in mind it's not set in stone, especially out of London but at least we will be heading in the right direction. I have taken us away from the finish slightly as we will be picking up my cycling mates before heading back to the Tower. Feedback welcome as always. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9001063

Top Bottom