Local knowledge required please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Congrats on your 24hr turbo boredom fest. I'm well impressed.

Your route no longer goes anywhere I have local knowledge to offer, but I would note that it looks WAY nicer than some of the previous versions.

Martin, I'm liking this. I may have to pinch!
I can send you the route via ridewithgps if you like. On the actual ride we were a little bit naughty and rode a few roads in on the North circular that cyclists are not supposed to use, but it was 2am and the roads were pretty quiet! I could tag the route to Blackpool from Manchester on the end as I do that quite often.

twinnies

Regular
I can send you the route via ridewithgps if you like. On the actual ride we were a little bit naughty and rode a few roads in on the North circular that cyclists are not supposed to use, but it was 2am and the roads were pretty quiet! I could tag the route to Blackpool from Manchester on the end as I do that quite often.
Oh yes please :smile:

twinnies

Regular
Congrats on your 24hr turbo boredom fest. I'm well impressed.

Your route no longer goes anywhere I have local knowledge to offer, but I would note that it looks WAY nicer than some of the previous versions.
Lol, it wasn't boring at all as I had friends doing hourly stints with me for the whole 24 hours. We had a giggle especially at the muppets you get in Asda at 3am!

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Sorry to ask for your indulgence again people but we've had another go, no tow paths now but if you can see anything here that looks dodgy to your trained minds please let me know. I'm not too sure personally about the route over the Mersey but since i have only ever crossed it on the M6 i'm pretty clueless.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9001063

Thank you you lovely peeps. :smooch:

Sorry to ask for your indulgence again people but we've had another go, no tow paths now but if you can see anything here that looks dodgy to your trained minds please let me know. I'm not too sure personally about the route over the Mersey but since i have only ever crossed it on the M6 i'm pretty clueless.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9001063

Thank you you lovely peeps. :smooch:

Wasteful bit around the Southern loop of Shrewsbury? The Runcorn- Widnes bridge crossing over the Mersey is quite a buzz, the bikepath is on the pavement on the East side and is fairly tight, fine on drops but on flat bars with mirrors you'll be resetting the mirror on the north bank...
This route is a cobbled up affair, part of one I did that went through Shrewsbury to home (Wirral) on a stage of LEJoG, I have then appended a route across South of Chester to Frodsham (on main road not NCN) and then added how a Liverpool clubmate took us through Runcorn to the bridge.

http://191.235.223.25/BRTWebUI/Course/774996

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I think we do need to go thru the route with a fine toothcomb once we have sorted out the general places we are going via. Just a small glance at various points brings up lots of little hmms.

Photo 29-03-2015 20 57 41.jpg

I'm sure its been loosley plotted so far with a standard routing site, so it always throws these sorts of things up. And going thru it will be mind numbingly dull, but I can do so when I have a little time and once the main route is set in stone.

The more we can minimise little things like this, the easier it will be on the day / night.

twinnies

Regular
I think we do need to go thru the route with a fine toothcomb once we have sorted out the general places we are going via. Just a small glance at various points brings up lots of little hmms.

View attachment 84151

I'm sure its been loosley plotted so far with a standard routing site, so it always throws these sorts of things up. And going thru it will be mind numbingly dull, but I can do so when I have a little time and once the main route is set in stone.

The more we can minimise little things like this, the easier it will be on the day / night.

That was about the 5th time I had manually inputted the route, hours of clicking from London to Blackpool for it not to save for whatever reason so yes it's loosely mapped, as long as we are going in the right direction I'm happy to just follow the town signs and make judgements on the day. TBH I was losing the will to live having done it so many times. If you want to re-do it feel free but could you create it so I can easily pop in on my Garmin.

OP
OP
themosquitoking

View attachment 84151

I think that little odditie is to avoid a steep bit. The straight through road is called something hill.

OP
OP
themosquitoking
That was about the 5th time I had manually inputted the route, hours of clicking from London to Blackpool for it not to save for whatever reason so yes it's loosely mapped, as long as we are going in the right direction I'm happy to just follow the town signs and make judgements on the day. TBH I was losing the will to live having done it so many times. If you want to re-do it feel free but could you create it so I can easily pop in on my Garmin.
Twinnies, that's Nomadski. He's going to be riding with us, you'll like him, even though he lives down here he's from up there and he has the greatest wife in the world.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes

Oh I totally understand how annoying and frustrating it can be routing out this stuff for it to go all belly up at the last minute! I've had a little look from the start to about Harlesden and began replotting it to avoid going the wrong way down one way streets etc. Will do this over the next few weeks till I have something more complete and I'll post a link to the GPX you can just add to the newfiles folder on your garmin. Will also post a link to the route on RideWithGps here so others can maybe have a look.

Congrats on the epic 24hr Asda adventure btw!

I think that little odditie is to avoid a steep bit. The straight through road is called something hill.

Looking at streetview it doesn't look any hillier that way, but then its hard to judge on a flat photo. I'll see what happens to the elevation when I get to that bit.

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Looking at streetview it doesn't look any hillier that way, but then its hard to judge on a flat photo. I'll see what happens to the elevation when I get to that bit.
I was just going by the road names, i'd hate for anyone to think that i knew what i was talking about. We'll get together the weekend after easter with beer and sort it out.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I was just going by the road names, i'd hate for anyone to think that i knew what i was talking about. We'll get together the weekend after easter with beer and sort it out.

Heh, for that pictured oddity, going the shorter route there is 1.9 miles and rises 78ft. Going the original way is 3.6 miles and rises 264ft ;)

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Ive been going through it, am up as far as Alcester atm. Have made some minor changes as using the OpenstreetMap routing, it quite likes the idea of taking road bikes across fields, down dirt tracks, and round the back of peoples houses!! ;)

I want to get a quick consensus on this junction.

Currently the mapping has us going up this rather busy looking (notice the truck!) dual carriageway for a short distance.

Pic 2.jpg

I plan to change it slightly to go around and then use the underpass to get across the road...

Pic4.jpg

It's actually only 0.2 mile longer but I think whoever is doing that stretch might appreciate the quieter aspect!

What do you think?

EDIT: It leads to another field. Going have to reroute thru Alcester to rejoin the route.

Top Bottom