London, Bank - free of cars in working hours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I didn't see any signs up on Friday , is this fake news?

mustang1

Legendary Member
Iirc this was talked about on the media about 6 months ago and is for a one year trial. I reckon they'll extend the trial period indefinitely.

Then they'll try and these indefinite trials in other parts of London too.

Sounds like appropriate news.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Well big up the City of London Corporation then, and fark the mayor. Nice to see we can get stuff done without the political parties.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I didn't see any signs up on Friday , is this fake news?
There've been electronic boards up for the last couple of weeks - I go past one near St Pauls. It's definitely real; it's been on the cards for some time. At the moment it's only an experiment, but I suspect it'll go permanent.

The City corporation, although it's extraordinarily undemocratic and a throwback to the middle ages is in some respect quite enlightened. It has noticed that most people go through Bank junction on foot; from memory cycling is the third most common mode of transport after walking and bus passengering.

It's worth taking a look at some of the background documents: https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/ser.../traffic-management/Pages/Bank-On-Safety.aspx

I can't find it now, but I believe there's a map comparing where the pedestrian crossings are with where people actually walk across the road. It shows that the number of people using the crossings is really quite small.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
There've been electronic boards up for the last couple of weeks - I go past one near St Pauls. It's definitely real; it's been on the cards for some time. At the moment it's only an experiment, but I suspect it'll go permanent.

The City corporation, although it's extraordinarily undemocratic and a throwback to the middle ages is in some respect quite enlightened. It has noticed that most people go through Bank junction on foot; from memory cycling is the third most common mode of transport after walking and bus passengering.

It's worth taking a look at some of the background documents: https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/ser.../traffic-management/Pages/Bank-On-Safety.aspx

I can't find it now, but I believe there's a map comparing where the pedestrian crossings are with where people actually walk across the road. It shows that the number of people using the crossings is really quite small.

It's a good point actually, I'd forgotten - it's the pedestrians that put me off cycling around there more than the cars! :laugh:

Still, less car traffic is always a good thing ;)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It's a good point actually, I'd forgotten - it's the pedestrians that put me off cycling around there more than the cars! :laugh:

Still, less car traffic is always a good thing ;)
I do also find that traveling east from london bridge through bank is a bit dodgy as cyclists are pretty much herded to the left when many want to go straight along cheap side or right to monument, so there's a double jeopardy to play with traffic either going straight or turning left towards Blackfriars

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I do also find that traveling east from london bridge through bank is a bit dodgy as cyclists are pretty much herded to the left when many want to go straight along cheap side or right to monument, so there's a double jeopardy to play with traffic either going straight or turning left towards Blackfriars
If you're going east from London Bridge you don't need to go anywhere near Bank!

For what it's worth, I come out of Lombard Street and want to go on to Cheapside. I filter to the front of the queue on King William Street and stick myself in the middle at the front of the traffic, pointing towards Cheapside. As long as the other riders are reasonably aware I can get along Poultry and then Cheapside without trouble. I'm always well out of the way before motorised traffic gets going, and point clearly rightwards as I'm going down Poultry.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If you're going east from London Bridge you don't need to go anywhere near Bank!

For what it's worth, I come out of Lombard Street and want to go on to Cheapside. I filter to the front of the queue on King William Street and stick myself in the middle at the front of the traffic, pointing towards Cheapside. As long as the other riders are reasonably aware I can get along Poultry and then Cheapside without trouble. I'm always well out of the way before motorised traffic gets going, and point clearly rightwards as I'm going down Poultry.
Edit, see my next post, I'll leave this here to show how stupid I was!

if you work there you do. Actually until a week ago you did have to as canon st had been shut eastbound forever and there was no way down to the cycle highway. So I guess that's why so many riders came that way, plus those who work at St. Paul's I guess.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Sorry...west

Doh!

Reactions: srw
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru

Hmm, I regard Cheapside as booby trapped also. I used to go down the backstreet that runs parallel to it, Gresham, then cross Bank from Prince's Street onto King William. Buses, taxis, peds, motos filling every square centimetre on that street and running the gauntlet at the junction with London Bridge to look forward to.

Top Bottom