London commuting.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ianrauk, 5 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. Heigue'r

Heigue'r Über Member

I enjoy it alot more now that it has quitened down....The above post was probably from when I started using the route and was quite surprised at the amount of people using it.And the excitement of it all also.Im on it around 7am so I would guess the start if rush hour

NickNick and Lonestar like this.
  2. spen666

spen666 Guru

When was it ever solely for non motorised use?

3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

The original Blackwall tunnel (the current northbound, complete with bends to stop horses seeing daylight and bolting) opened in 1897. It seems quite plausible that the early motorised deathtraps weren't allowed into it, but the Thames Tunnel (Blackwall) Act 1887 doesn't seem to be online to check.

4. Urban myth apparently. It was more to do with worming to find the easiest rock to cut through.

5. spen666

spen666 Guru

Think you are incorrect. The evidence would seem to suggest there was no such restriction.

for example
    Taken from the British History website at http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vols43-4/pp640-645

6. mjr

I may have confused it with Rotherhithe - one of them definitely has bends that make little sense as worming.

But were those vans motorised? A "van" used to be merely a enclosed wagon:
    570px-Roger_Fenton%27s_waggon.jpg

Benz's first truck was only 1895 or thereabouts, so it would be surprising if they were that common in London just two years later. However, given the mention of railways, road-going steam traction engines might have been used.

Anyway, what was "incorrect" in saying it's plausible and the original act isn't online? :tongue:

7. spen666

spen666 Guru

So to suggest they were banned in legislation years before the Benz truck came out is wrong

Oh and all the 1887 legislation is online if you look for it and no it doesn't mention any ban on motor vehicles in the Blackwall Tunnel.

I would post it, but it would be a breach of copyright from the source I obtained the details from

The Blackwall Tunnel is shape it is owing to docks/ sewage pipes etc in vicinity

8. It's a very common misconception which I was put right on recently.

mjr likes this.
  9. mjr

Huh? :wacko:

And you won't link it because ...?

10. spen666

spen666 Guru

Erm because it would be a breach of copyright and be a breach of employment and lead to me being dismissed- forget it you are not worth losing my job over

11. NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

Doesn't that imply then that its not freely accessible online and is instead on a subscription based/paywalled site?

mjr likes this.
  12. mjr

Trucks weren't the first motor vehicle anyway. But I still didn't suggest that. I just said it was plausible.

Linking ain't a breach of copyright.

NickNick likes this.
  13. spen666

spen666 Guru

Erm actually it may be - but as its on a pay site, a link would be no use to you as you could not access it in any event

Yes

14. toffee

toffee Über Member

Went through a tunnel in Rotterdam this year, took the bikes down the escalator. Bit hairy as it was fully loaded.
    Not us by the way but the same tunnel - The Maastunnel

View: https://youtu.be/NX7B92O0bbc

Rickshaw Phil and mjr like this.
  15. subaqua

subaqua Guru

theres not much rock in london strata. clay mostly which is quite easy to bore through. but that part of the river is alluvial which is rather soft .

( I am not a geology expert but currently sat in our Head office next to the tunnelling division ( well Civils) )

NickNick and Markymark like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice