London commuting.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ianrauk, 5 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. damj

damj Well-Known Member

Absolute nightmare!

2. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

blimey, I commute into central London and this reminds me that i ride a route in summer/daylight to avoid routes like that

3. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

That was more than a year ago though. Have things settled down at all?

4. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

Not my route for years but my impression is that more and more people are riding after a few mild winters and the new infrastructure, I avoid my most obvious routes due the number of riders, and many of them bad riders too, as soonas you get cycle congestion you get idiots trying to pass and overtake and undertake.

I ride a route with hills and a few nasty sections to avoid that

So in short a qualified no not really I suspect

i used to ride through London from Tottenham to Wimbledon in the mid eighties and hardly anyone rode in London rush hour back then

Lonestar likes this.
  5. I too used to commute into London in the mid-80s, from Tooting to the City and West End, and until Kennington or Stockwell I was on my own. On a busy morning you might get half a dozen of us going over the bridges together, and that felt like a crowd. I love seeing the numbers riding in London these days, give or take a bit of localised bunching. Some things have improved with time.

NickNick, Markymark and mjr like this.
  6. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Not ever so. Some kneejerker put a load of barriers on Blackfriars Bridge that create congestion bottlenecks at the ends. Apparently they're "temporary" but I suspect that might be like the "temporary" tin shed at King's Cross that was there 40 years :sad:

NickNick likes this.
  7. User1252

User1252 Guest

Southwark bridge has likewise.

8. MichaelO

MichaelO Über Member

Aren't they on all/most bridges following the London Bridge attack?

9. User1252

User1252 Guest

Probably, I haven't been to check.

mjr likes this.
  10. Small point of order as I know how precise and accurate you like to be...
    Crossing against a "DON'T WALK" light is, in the US (as that's your context), called "crossing against the light" or similar.
    "Jaywalking" is crossing the street where there is no designated crossing, for example mid-block. It's this normal everyday behaviour that the motoring lobby managed to criminalise with the advent of the motor car. Marked crossings came into existence as part of that process to criminalise jaywalking.

mjr and TinyMyNewt like this.
  11. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

For crossing freely to be an offence, it needs to be within a certain distance of a marked crossing, doesn't it?

12. In the US, you have to be within the lines of the crossing to not be committing the offence. (There may be variances in different states.)

13. In the small town I grew up, crossings were few and far between. Technically, every time we crossed the road virtually anywhere in town, we were jaywalking. But law enforcement didn't give a damn. And we all knew the Justice of the Peace personally. :okay:

ETA: Look up the history of jaywalking. It's an offence created so that motorists would have something to throw back, if they hit a pedestrian. Total con.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2017
  14. OP
    OP
    ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Greenwich Foot Tunnel ‘to be full up with cyclists’ by 2025, TfL says

Linky HERE

Dogtrousers likes this.
  15. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

Linky no worky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice