London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Linky no worky

Works for me, anyone else?

OK; all very odd.

I'll take a look later, on a different device.

As you were

upload_2017-11-8_13-56-35.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Greenwich Foot Tunnel ‘to be full up with cyclists’ by 2025, TfL says

Linky HERE
WTF do they mean "even though riding a bicycle is technically banned"? Surely part of the reason why the tunnel is going to hit its theoretical maximum is because riding is banned, as a pushed cycle takes up more room for more time?

What do locals make of the options? It's not a route I'd use much from my most frequent arrivals point at Kings Cross.

Mile195

Veteran
Perhaps once the Silvertown tunnel gets built, they could restore 1 bore of the blackwall tunnel back to non-motorised use instead and provide another cycling route across the river there as an alternative...
...Although apparently they've been talking about a crossing there since 1976, so I probably won't put any money on it happening soon...

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Perhaps once the Silvertown tunnel gets built, they could restore 1 bore of the blackwall tunnel back to non-motorised use instead and provide another cycling route across the river there as an alternative...
...Although apparently they've been talking about a crossing there since 1976, so I probably won't put any money on it happening soon...

There's all sorts of crossings being mooted, bridges, tunnels, a ferry. I just wish they would get on with it. Not only Ped/Cycle crossing but another road crossing too to relieve some motor traffic off the A200.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
WTF do they mean "even though riding a bicycle is technically banned"? Surely part of the reason why the tunnel is going to hit its theoretical maximum is because riding is banned, as a pushed cycle takes up more room for more time?

The main reason for the theoretical maximum is the lifts - there's only one lift at each end of the tunnel and they have finite capacity. Even though they've been revamped recently, the lifts are still quite slow.

And that's when they're working! (I have had to carry my bike up the stairs on occasion.)

What do locals make of the options? It's not a route I'd use much from my most frequent arrivals point at Kings Cross.

Several times lately I've had cause to ride between the West End and Charlton and the foot tunnel is on my preferred route (down through Covent Garden to the river, then along the Lower Thames St cycle path (CS3?) to Tower Hill, along Cable Street to Limehouse and then onto the riverside path down to the tunnel). The congestion in the tunnel doesn't affect me since I'm always using it outside peak times. Hard to say how the new crossing options would work without seeing how they're integrated into the surrounding infrastructure.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It already doesn't look wide enough to cope with demand.
Just like our Motorways.:okay:

mjr

The main reason for the theoretical maximum is the lifts - there's only one lift at each end of the tunnel and they have finite capacity. Even though they've been revamped recently, the lifts are still quite slow.
Good point - I was reading it too literally. If that's the case, why don't they tunnel out ramps instead? If what I've read is correct, the tunnel is 15m down, which I think means a 5% ramp would need about 300m, putting the southern portal somewhere like Nelson Road or Romney Road and the northern portal in Millwall Park, assuming they try to avoid tunnelling under buildings or through the rail lines. Probably expensive, but more than a bridge?

mjr

I thought there was already a ferry? - for the number of cyclists it just needs a better ferry?
Are you thinking of Woolwich not Greenwich? The nearest ferry to Greenwich is the Docklands hotel one that costs something around £5 IIRC - the DLR is closer and cheaper, although cycles are only allowed off-peak.

Lonestar

Veteran
Was on cs3 this morning along embankment..felt like I was in the tour de france...what a buzz

I wont use it in the rush-hour and neither the CS 3 from Limehouse to Tower Gateway.Have to use Tower Gateway to Southwark Bridge section,though.
I use it from Southwark Bridge to Limhouse on return although I don't want to.After that the route sort of settles down a bit.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I wont use it in the rush-hour and neither the CS 3 from Limehouse to Tower Gateway.Have to use Tower Gateway to Southwark Bridge section,though.
I use it from Southwark Bridge to Limhouse on return although I don't want to.After that the route sort of settles down a bit.

I enjoy it alot more now that it has quitened down....The above post was probably from when I started using the route and was quite surprised at the amount of people using it.And the excitement of it all also.Im on it around 7am so I would guess the start if rush hour

Top Bottom