London commuting.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ianrauk, 5 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Trucks weren't the first motor vehicle anyway. But I still didn't suggest that. I just said it was plausible.

Linking ain't a breach of copyright.

NickNick likes this.
  2. spen666

spen666 Guru

Erm actually it may be - but as its on a pay site, a link would be no use to you as you could not access it in any event

Yes

3. toffee

toffee Über Member

Went through a tunnel in Rotterdam this year, took the bikes down the escalator. Bit hairy as it was fully loaded.
    Not us by the way but the same tunnel - The Maastunnel

View: https://youtu.be/NX7B92O0bbc

Rickshaw Phil and mjr like this.
  4. subaqua

subaqua Guru

theres not much rock in london strata. clay mostly which is quite easy to bore through. but that part of the river is alluvial which is rather soft .

( I am not a geology expert but currently sat in our Head office next to the tunnelling division ( well Civils) )

NickNick and Markymark like this.
  5. Mile195

Mile195 Über Member

ooops. I appear to have opened a small can of worms.
    I didn't intend to imply there was ever any restriction on motor vehicles. And indeed there probably never was - I think it was open to all before the 1960's (I saw a documentary a while ago which showed the specially built bus they had for taking bikes through the tunnel just after it was changed to motorised use only). But what I meant was, to restore use of the blackwall tunnel to non-motorised traffic as well as whatever else.
    Anyway, it's a moot point because it'll never happen.
    The cable car can be used by cycles which is close enough to the blackwall tunnel to ensure there is never a case for opening the blackwall tunnel to bikes. Although at £9 a go (or £1.70 if you can commit to using 10 trips over the year) I think I would find it a little frivolous to commute using it every day if I needed to go that way.

6. OP
    OP
    ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Cash fare is £4.50 or £3.50 if you use your Oyster/Contactless

7. tatr

tatr Well-Known Member

I tend to avoid the cable car because I don't like the black looks you get when walking past the tourist ticket queue directly to the oyster gate, even though that's what you are supposed to do according to the staff.

NickNick likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. And the staff are very helpful and cyclist friendly.

Trickedem likes this.
  9. mjr

DPVWEWRXkAA0x4l.jpg
    from http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/of...-use-in-london-set-to-overtake-car-use/022268

Blimey. Stuff's working. At a guess 2003 congestion charge, 2010 cycle hire docks, 2008-2012ish first wave CS, and we wait to see if we can spot 2016ish second wave CS (EW and NS).

Last edited: 23 Nov 2017
    smutchin, theclaud and NickNick like this.
  10. NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

User45 likes this.
  11. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

Just came back from commute on the CS 3 and the cops were there on the junction of Leman St/Dock street and CS 3/Cable Street...A car had hit the bridge parapet and the car looked totalled.Even the passenger doors were gone.How bloody hard did he hit it?

It looks like it's been scrapped on the spot.

Wasn't there on the commute in.These Weekend commutes are getting madder and madder.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2017
  12. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

Maybe the emergency services caused most damage extracting the occupants

Lonestar likes this.
  13. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

Good point.Thanks.:okay:

I did think it was a bit strange but I have been up since 2am (and been down to Bournemouth):blush:

Last edited: 9 Dec 2017
    MossCommuter likes this.
  14. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

No, it isn't working at all. The total number of vehicles has actually declined, yet the traffic congestion and journey times are WORSE now than before the congestion charge came in! How can worsening congestion and making it more difficult for people to go about their business possibly be regarded as a success? The Mayor and TfL are a complete bunch of muppets.

Lonestar likes this.
  15. mjr

I don't know what numbers you're using... oh, wait, you're not using any :tongue: We used to call that proof by, err, shall we say vigorous handwaving.

The numbers of people (not vehicles) has remained similar since the congestion charge encouraged about 20k through motorists to fark off. It's just that the mix has changed for the better. That's a success.

smutchin, tatr and NickNick like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice