London commuting.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ianrauk, 5 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Works for me, anyone else?

2. User1252

User1252 Guest

Works for me

3. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guru

And me. Interesting reading.

4. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

OK; all very odd.

I'll take a look later, on a different device.

As you were

upload_2017-11-8_13-56-35.png

5. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

WTF do they mean "even though riding a bicycle is technically banned"? Surely part of the reason why the tunnel is going to hit its theoretical maximum is because riding is banned, as a pushed cycle takes up more room for more time?

What do locals make of the options? It's not a route I'd use much from my most frequent arrivals point at Kings Cross.

Tin Pot likes this.
  6. Mile195

Mile195 Über Member

Perhaps once the Silvertown tunnel gets built, they could restore 1 bore of the blackwall tunnel back to non-motorised use instead and provide another cycling route across the river there as an alternative...
    ...Although apparently they've been talking about a crossing there since 1976, so I probably won't put any money on it happening soon...

7. OP
    OP
    ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

There's all sorts of crossings being mooted, bridges, tunnels, a ferry. I just wish they would get on with it. Not only Ped/Cycle crossing but another road crossing too to relieve some motor traffic off the A200.

8. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

The main reason for the theoretical maximum is the lifts - there's only one lift at each end of the tunnel and they have finite capacity. Even though they've been revamped recently, the lifts are still quite slow.

And that's when they're working! (I have had to carry my bike up the stairs on occasion.)

Several times lately I've had cause to ride between the West End and Charlton and the foot tunnel is on my preferred route (down through Covent Garden to the river, then along the Lower Thames St cycle path (CS3?) to Tower Hill, along Cable Street to Limehouse and then onto the riverside path down to the tunnel). The congestion in the tunnel doesn't affect me since I'm always using it outside peak times. Hard to say how the new crossing options would work without seeing how they're integrated into the surrounding infrastructure.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2017
    NickNick and mjr like this.
  9. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

Just like our Motorways.:okay:

10. mjr

Good point - I was reading it too literally. If that's the case, why don't they tunnel out ramps instead? If what I've read is correct, the tunnel is 15m down, which I think means a 5% ramp would need about 300m, putting the southern portal somewhere like Nelson Road or Romney Road and the northern portal in Millwall Park, assuming they try to avoid tunnelling under buildings or through the rail lines. Probably expensive, but more than a bridge?

11. User1252

User1252 Guest

In Antwerp there is a similar tunnel under the river but way bigger and deeper. It has lifts and long escalators either end.

12. psmiffy

psmiffy -

I thought there was already a ferry? - for the number of cyclists it just needs a better ferry?

13. mjr

Are you thinking of Woolwich not Greenwich? The nearest ferry to Greenwich is the Docklands hotel one that costs something around £5 IIRC - the DLR is closer and cheaper, although cycles are only allowed off-peak.

14. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

The Greenwich Ferry. Love it! :laugh:

15. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

I wont use it in the rush-hour and neither the CS 3 from Limehouse to Tower Gateway.Have to use Tower Gateway to Southwark Bridge section,though.
    I use it from Southwark Bridge to Limhouse on return although I don't want to.After that the route sort of settles down a bit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice