London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The cable car can be used by cycles which is close enough to the blackwall tunnel to ensure there is never a case for opening the blackwall tunnel to bikes. Although at £9 a go (or £1.70 if you can commit to using 10 trips over the year) I think I would find it a little frivolous to commute using it every day if I needed to go that way.

Cash fare is £4.50 or £3.50 if you use your Oyster/Contactless

tatr

I tend to avoid the cable car because I don't like the black looks you get when walking past the tourist ticket queue directly to the oyster gate, even though that's what you are supposed to do according to the staff.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I tend to avoid the cable car because I don't like the black looks you get when walking past the tourist ticket queue directly to the oyster gate, even though that's what you are supposed to do according to the staff.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. And the staff are very helpful and cyclist friendly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
DPVWEWRXkAA0x4l.jpg

from http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/of...-use-in-london-set-to-overtake-car-use/022268

Blimey. Stuff's working. At a guess 2003 congestion charge, 2010 cycle hire docks, 2008-2012ish first wave CS, and we wait to see if we can spot 2016ish second wave CS (EW and NS).

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Just came back from commute on the CS 3 and the cops were there on the junction of Leman St/Dock street and CS 3/Cable Street...A car had hit the bridge parapet and the car looked totalled.Even the passenger doors were gone.How bloody hard did he hit it?

It looks like it's been scrapped on the spot.

Wasn't there on the commute in.These Weekend commutes are getting madder and madder.

Last edited:
Just came back from commute on the CS 3 and the cops were there on the junction of Leman St/Dock street and CS 3/Cable Street...A car had hit the bridge parapet and the car looked totalled.Even the passenger doors were gone.How bloody hard did he hit it?

It looks like it's been scrapped on the spot.

Wasn't there on the commute in.These Saturday commutes are getting madder and madder.
Maybe the emergency services caused most damage extracting the occupants

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
mjr said:
View attachment 384402
Blimey. Stuff's working. .

No, it isn't working at all. The total number of vehicles has actually declined, yet the traffic congestion and journey times are WORSE now than before the congestion charge came in! How can worsening congestion and making it more difficult for people to go about their business possibly be regarded as a success? The Mayor and TfL are a complete bunch of muppets.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, it isn't working at all. The total number of vehicles has actually declined, yet the traffic congestion and journey times are WORSE now than before the congestion charge came in! How can worsening congestion and making it more difficult for people to go about their business possibly be regarded as a success? The Mayor and TfL are a complete bunch of muppets.
I don't know what numbers you're using... oh, wait, you're not using any :tongue: We used to call that proof by, err, shall we say vigorous handwaving.

The numbers of people (not vehicles) has remained similar since the congestion charge encouraged about 20k through motorists to fark off. It's just that the mix has changed for the better. That's a success.

tatr

No, it isn't working at all. The total number of vehicles has actually declined, yet the traffic congestion and journey times are WORSE now than before the congestion charge came in! How can worsening congestion and making it more difficult for people to go about their business possibly be regarded as a success?

The only way to reduce the number of cars is by making journey times longer so people choose another form of transport.

Reducing the number and speed of cars makes it easier to go about your business as a pedestrian or cyclist.

So that sounds like it's been a success.

Last edited:

jahlive905

Anyone else bummed out that the window where Tooley street was only for cyclists is over? It used to be so fun and quick whizzing along there. Now it's bumper to bumper with lots of HGVs and peds to contend with. And a ridiculous number of traffic lights too. Boo.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anyone else bummed out that the window where Tooley street was only for cyclists is over? It used to be so fun and quick whizzing along there. Now it's bumper to bumper with lots of HGVs and peds to contend with. And a ridiculous number of traffic lights too. Boo.

Window? Do you mean the bus lane entrance to Tooley Street or the segregated bike path??

Top Bottom