London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
OK, let's see if I can understand it to try to summarise questions into 140 characters if there's stuff we can't find. It's been some time since I've cycled around E&C as I tend to turn off St George's Road before I get there, so I'm working from satellite photos - do you mean where the kerbed track ends as you head north into Newington Causeway and there are bus stops before it becomes a full-on bus(+bike+...) mandatory (solid-line) lane?

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/ro...er_uploads/responses-to-issues-raised_v01.pdf says "Although a bus stop by-pass will be provided southbound on Newington Causeway, space restrictions mean it is not possible to provide this provision northbound." There might be more detail at https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/elephant-and-castle/ but it seems to me like the cycle track north had to end somewhere and that was considered the least awful at the time.
That's the place.

They could have moved the bus stops to the north of Southwark Bridge Road, which would have meant they didn't have to cut straight across the cycle track to get to the stops.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
View attachment 157665

@ianrauk - how long has that been no left turn for the traffic?

I'm not sure as I don't do that route. But I think ever since the superhighway opened.
Let's ask @gaz

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
View attachment 157665

@ianrauk - how long has that been no left turn for the traffic?
I'm not @ianrauk but I think it's since the CS works. Part of the reason was to add more pedestrian space to the north end of Westminster Bridge, though, so it wasn't only the CS motivating that change. I am surprised that there seems to be no signage telling southbound traffic to use Northumberland Avenue and Whitehall to get onto the bridge, but maybe they want to split the load with loops of Parliament Square. The answer may be somewhere in https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cycling/eastwest/?cid=cycle-east-west

They could have moved the bus stops to the north of Southwark Bridge Road, which would have meant they didn't have to cut straight across the cycle track to get to the stops.
Sorry to keep asking stuff, but is that building site north of Southwark Bridge Road still there? I'll probably ask if there's any plan to move the stops northwards once/if it's gone. There might be, as those stops seem unusually close to the previous stop by the Tabernacle and I can't see the width restriction at that precise location.

Wolf616

Über Member
Does anyone use their bicycle to commute from south (specifically West Norwood) to central North (specifically Angel)? I'm moving jobs soon and this will be my new slightly shorter, albeit through bastard Central London, commute and I was wondering how much I should be gearing myself up for a terrible route

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does anyone use their bicycle to commute from south (specifically West Norwood) to central North (specifically Angel)?
Someone who knows more may be here but I've done Brixton station area to/from King's Cross in the past which isn't too bad for adults. Brixton Road has London bus lanes which are what they are, then it joins CS7 which is one of the old paint+pray ones slowly being upgraded with cycle track sections, then change onto CS6 near Elephant and Castle and that's all modern roadside cycle track albeit with lots of traffic lights and currently runs out on Faringdon Road I think. There's a cycle-only right turn near the Royal Mail place at Mount Pleasant (map says Margery Street) which is a bit of a bad old narrow cycle track but it lets you contraflow into the streets southwest of Angel. I think the section south of E&C is worse but I prefer cycle tracks to bus lanes and I know that's not a universal opinion on here.

Lonestar

Veteran
Ahhh the flagship CS. It's lovely . Apart from the massive speed tables ( oh the irony ) , and the cars driving in the lane. Pity the other CS are funking rubbish.

Marvellous,these CS's really do brighten up my commute.

Forgot about the cars in the lane which are a minor irritation.Then there's loony joggers skateboarders and roller skaters...moped riders...have I missed anything.Cop car blue flashing?

Haven't seen a fire engine or a tuk-tuk yet.That's another few to tick off and perhaps a Boeing 737 attempting to land.

TBH though the roller skaters have got it wrong.At this time of year you need ice skates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Pretty busy that Cycle Super Highway

Top Bottom