London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I believe the main refurb work is installing a funicular railway-style lift.

With the entrance ripped to bits it wouldn't be possible to keep a bore open.

There was some work in progress pics online at one time, but I think they stopped when the project hit the buffers.

Lonestar

Veteran
London commuters, generally speaking, do the rest of the cycling community a dis-service.

Just this morning at Liverpool Street, red light, stationary lorry in main lane and idiots just cycle through at full speed, nearly hitting a crossing pedestrian. I've seen this (amongst multiple other infractions) enough to determine this is normal in London. It's not where I live.

Sadly I know what you mean.

Lonestar

Veteran
Shorter Street last night and yet again cars turning into the cycle lane.Once one goes they all follow,like sheep.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How Sadiq Khan aims to be London's most cycle friendly mayor

Guardian piece HERE

And another piece from Andrew Gilligan from the same paper HERE

Last edited:
For anyone who might benefit, there's a consultation on a proposed change to a cycle superhighway in London

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/west-smithfield/consultation/subpage.2015-09-03.3976631085/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You are not being dim as the website is not very clear.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/west-smithfield/
Thanks. So if I've understood that table near the bottom correctly, these proposals would make driving (I guess that's what they mean by "traffic") and buses faster and cycling slower? Walking much faster, which is good, but it seems odd for it to be unbalanced in favour of motorists, doesn't it?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Isn't that the underlying purpose of all these segregated facilities, to keep cyclists out of the way of proper traffic?
Not necessarily, but it does seem like this bit of CS6 is going that way. :sad: I can see myself continuing to use Hatton Garden and Shoe Lane instead of CS6 if that new section is as stop-start as it looks.

Cycle tracks can also be a good way to unravel routes where you don't really have a choice of adjacent roads and thereby keep the farking motorists out of the way of people cycling (as in most of the tracked part of CS3 IMO - but not where it crosses under CS6), plus open routes to cycling where motorists can't fit.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From the Standard

Cyclists make up 70% of Blackfriars Bridge traffic

CYCLISTS account for up to 70 per cent of all traffic on Blackfriars Bridge following the introduction of a cycle superhighway, Transport for London has revealed.

The change of use was almost as dramatic on Victoria Embankment, part of the flagship East-West superhighway, with cyclists forming 52 per cent of Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter traffic at the busiest times. A total of 4,695 cyclists used the North-South superhighway on Blackfriars Bridge in the three-hour morning peak — one rider almost every two seconds — while 3,608 used the Embankment route.

The figures emerge in a report detailing “significant increases” in cycling since the two routes were introduced by then mayor Boris Johnson shortly before he left office in May. TfL said the number of cyclists on the two routes was about 55 per cent higher than preconstruction, peaking at 70 per cent on the bridge at the busiest times.

Andrew Gilligan, the former cycling czar who championed the implementation of the superhighways, hailed the “truly extraordinary numbers”.

He said: “Rush-hour cycling use on the North- South superhighway is equivalent to the people carried by 64 full double-decker buses.”

The report also reveals for the first time why the completion of the EastWest route around Buckingham Palace is a year behind schedule — because TfL has been attempting to save money after a massive overspend.

The largely segregated route between Paddington and Tower Hill is now estimated to cost £58.7 million — £18.4 million above the initial £40.3 million estimate — because construction was started before designs were completed in a desperate bid to finish the project during Mr Johnson’s mayoralty.

TfL said motorists going east along the Embankment and Lower and Upper Thames Street in the evening peak were suffering additional delays of “10-15 minutes” due to the removal of a lane to allow the superhighway to be built.

Earlier this week, the Standard revealed that completion of the western section of the East-West superhighway a t Hyde Park had s parked complaints from residents in Lancaster Gate and Knightsbridge due to temporary roadworks and road closures. Cycling campaigners dismissed this as “short-term pain for long-term gain”.

Top Bottom