London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't know what technicians they have keeping the lifts in the Greenwich Foot Tunnel in order but they need replacing. Hardest bit of the commute is lugging my bike up those bastard stairs
Wasn't it only a few years ago they were upgraded/replaced?

Wolf616

Über Member
Wasn't it only a few years ago they were upgraded/replaced?

I've no idea, I've only been commuting in London for ~1 year. Either way, they break down far too often (and get repaired far too slowly). At least install a bicycle stair lift for those of us who are weaklings, please!

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've no idea, I've only been commuting in London for ~1 year. Either way, they break down far too often (and get repaired far too slowly). At least install a bicycle stair lift for those of us who are weaklings, please!

They used to be manned lifts. The people that manned them were a fairly friendly, jolly sort. Happy to chat. But the lifts were very old.

Wolf616

Über Member
Not always. I have seen one of them tell a cyclist that he couldn't use the lift because he had ridden through the tunnel, and that he would see him upstairs once he had carried his bike up.

That makes me like the lift wo/man even more, to be honest

Lonestar

Veteran
Tower gateway traffic lights don't seem to work at silly 'o'clock at the end of Shorter street in the westerly direction.Had to walk across yet again after waiting ages for them to change.Only saw two cyclists on the inward commute of approx ten miles.Missed the 50 other ninja cyclists I guess.Went the longer way via Westminster which I avoid during the day as it's either too busy or there are too many joggers everywhere....

Squeezing inside to get tot he cycle lane on Southwark Bridge clot of a coach driver decides to open his right hand plug door into the traffic (by pressing a button on his dash) cutting down my space and forcing me to stop suddenly and I wasn't too amused.Would guess he didn't think of looking in his mirror.Managed to get onto the cycle lane after that.After Bow low level stuck behind lorry which hasn't moved after lights have changed (mobile phone distraction?) but decide against going on the inside.Doubted he was going left but couldn't be sure.As it was he then signaled and did a left turn (reckon he saw me in his mirror).Good stuff but he should have already have been gone before I got there instead of faffing about.

Also additional.

The road layout at Tower Gateway/Shorter Street seems to be a very poor layout of which the motorised vehicles cannot get used to.Also numerous U turns from traffic coming from the Tower Bridge direction.Cars going into Shorter Street bus lane or the cycle lane herein.

@Shaun could you let this thread rise as I think it could be quite a useful thread.Cheers.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Tower Gateway Shorter Street...The lights stick at red between 1am and 5am and change rarely...On the return three cars came into Shorter Street as I came from the westerly direction so watch out folks.Mistakes are common there.

Red light jumper from the east jumped the lights quite smugly at Cannon Street Road junction he was on the CS 3...not seeing the black bimmer wanting to throw a right there but Mr Bimmer driver was a good'un and patient so no problem.(On the return)

(Look up Bimmer if you are not sure what it is)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice to see this thread die.Nice one.:sad:

I only really started it to highlight the new supposed Cycle Super highways.

Most London commuters post in the Commuting thread.

Lonestar

Veteran

Interesting.I've thought about a fixie with disk brakes.Also car in bike lane at Shorter Street yet again plus van coming from Cannon Bridge direction in cycle lane going at a rate of knots (to my astonishment) before it met a not amused cyclist coming the other way.I was standing at the cycle lights on the pavement waiting to cross onto Southwark Bridge @ 0815 on the inward commute.It eventually got back on the road but surely the driver should have realised much earlier.Not that there was a jam or anything.

markharry66

Über Member
Lifts to both Tunnels were replaced back in 2010 so they are exactly 6 years old. I have been using the foot tunnel at woolwich for about 20 odd years.
Prior to the change of lifts they would break down on a regular basis. Since the change and improvement they now breakdown on a regular basis thats progress for you. Only difference now is they do not have to employ someone to man the lifts.
I hear they are looking at a new system in the foot tunnels to warn cyclists to get off their bike. Perhaps investment should have been used on the lifts instead....

Brains

Legendary Member
I hear they are looking at a new system in the foot tunnels to warn cyclists to get off their bike. Perhaps investment should have been used on the lifts instead....

Or perhaps finish off the tunnels as originally designed, which was to have a gentle slope at either end, and therefore no need for lifts at all.

With the Greenwich one, this would still be fairly easily possible, as both north and south the original run outs still exist.
With the Woolwich one you would need a 90 degree bend on either end to bring the slope out parallel with the river.

You could then tun them really into cycle tunnels, like they have under the Tyne at Newcastle

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I heard from a couple of cycletrainer.uk ride leaders that the powers that be were considering allowing considerate cycling during off peak periods for a trial period. I did notice a couple of weeks ago that the electronic signs which usually read out ''No cycling'' had wording similar to ''Be considerate to pedestrians.'' Though perhaps that was a pre-trial period trial....
Where would they come out?
There's free surface space provided the ramp doesn't continue straight on. A little trickier at the Greenwich end I'd imagine because it might threaten a few underground car parking spaces.

Top Bottom