London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
I think to be honest given the length of the tunnels and the time taken to walk it cant see it ever being removed.
To be honest really not to much hassle to walk the length of the tunnel.
Peds should come first in a shared space.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
On an unrelated London theme: I just cycled from Deptford to Waterloo and hit only 1 red light. (On that oddity Quietway 1* and a green bike.)

*Which is pretty smooth and surprisingly direct. Unfortunately, it's likely to be the only decent Quietway built. Too many uncooperative London councils....

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On an unrelated London theme: I just cycled from Deptford to Waterloo and hit only 1 red light. (On that oddity Quietway 1* and a green bike.)

*Which is pretty smooth and surprisingly direct. Unfortunately, it's likely to be the only decent Quietway built. Too many uncooperative London councils....

Isn't it a bit 'higgledy piggledy'?

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not as indirect as you might expect. And relatively few junction stops. When you next go up in the direction of Westminster (it stops at the southern end of Westminster Bridge) give it a try.

May do, even though it's not really designed for the likes of me. It is well signed too which I was surprised about.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think to be honest given the length of the tunnels and the time taken to walk it cant see it ever being removed.
To be honest really not to much hassle to walk the length of the tunnel.
Peds should come first in a shared space.
They should close the Rotherhithe tunnel to motorists. It wasn't designed for them, it's dangerous for them (see the number of warning/restriction signs on the approaches!) and the Blackwall tunnel and Tower Bridge aren't too far away if one's motorised. I can dream...

Brains

Legendary Member
Where would they come out?
On the south side next to the Gypsy Moth pub, (next to Greenwich Maritime DLR station) and on the north side, opposite the Island Gardens DLR station

It would have been a fairly simple cut and cover build when they were putting in the DLR tunnel about 7 years ago, it would have cost a bit more, but in the long term saved money and of course massively increased usage of both the stations and the foot tunnel, which may have been the reason for not doing it at the time, as by now they would be under pressure for another foot/cycle tunnel

Brains

Legendary Member
They should close the Rotherhithe tunnel to motorists. It wasn't designed for them, it's dangerous for them (see the number of warning/restriction signs on the approaches!) and the Blackwall tunnel and Tower Bridge aren't too far away if one's motorised. I can dream...

Tower Bridge was designed for horse and carts, which is why it has a very gentle rise and fall (good for bikes!)
The Old (now northbound) Blackwall tunnel was designed for trams with pedestrians on a walkway on the side
Neither were designed for, nor are suitable for, motorised vehicles.

It would be far more logical to change Tower Bridge to be pedestrians, cycles, motorbikes and possibly buses and/or taxis
Then to make the old Blackwall tunnel a loop of the DLR between Stratford and Charlton - the rail already exists (ideally with bikes permitted on the trains through the tunnel)

Then to employ a team of tunnel builders for a 20-30 year period and start by building a tunnel to replace Tower Bridge (300m downstream), and then build 7-10 further double tunnels every couple of miles all the way to Dartford
Who pays for all of this ? the Tunnel Toll does.
The Dartford Tunnels and the Dartford Bridge are both tolled, and both paid back within 25 years of opening and now run at a considerable profit

Lonestar

Veteran
Agree about Tower Bridge...Rarely use it....Had a spell of using it in the rush hour but found better alternatives.Only use it on my very early 3am/4am commutes.Sometimes.

Last edited:

Kominic

Regular
London commuters, generally speaking, do the rest of the cycling community a dis-service.

Just this morning at Liverpool Street, red light, stationary lorry in main lane and idiots just cycle through at full speed, nearly hitting a crossing pedestrian. I've seen this (amongst multiple other infractions) enough to determine this is normal in London. It's not where I live.

subaqua

What’s the point
London commuters, generally speaking, do the rest of the cycling community a dis-service.

Just this morning at Liverpool Street, red light, stationary lorry in main lane and idiots just cycle through at full speed, nearly hitting a crossing pedestrian. I've seen this (amongst multiple other infractions) enough to determine this is normal in London. It's not where I live.

nope it just seems normal when a few do it.

there is the odd nobber granted, but it is most certainly not "normal" .

Reactions: srw

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You could then tun them really into cycle tunnels, like they have under the Tyne at Newcastle

Our northern correspondent writes:

Refurbishment of the Tyne cycle and pedestrian tunnel has been beset with problems, contractor going bust, more asbestos to remove than first thought.

Looks like the latest reopening date is spring 2018, although no-one's holding their breath up here.

The closure is no more than an occasional nuisance for me as a leisure cyclist, although it's bound to have wiped out a lot of commute and utility journeys.

The alternatives are the ferry at South Shields which has a bike number limit, or the Gateshead Millennium (blinking eye) bridge, which is a good few miles inland.

http://www.tynepedestrianandcyclisttunnels.co.uk/

Brains

Legendary Member
I wonder why they closed both of them at the same time ?
Surely it would have made sense to refurbish one and keep the other open for bi-directional traffic

A 6+ year closure is not good ......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Surely it would have made sense to refurbish one and keep the other open for bi-directional traffic

Yeah, but it's only walkers and cyclists. No councillor is going to lose an election because they upset walkers and cyclists. It's not like it inconveniences any motorists. That would only happen if they closed one of the motoring tunnel bores to maintain a walking and cycling connect, so they don't.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I've only been through it once a few years ago, but I think it may only be single bore.

Top Bottom