London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been at lights with 30-40 cyclists. If they were all in cars it would take 5 light changes to all get through. We all make it in 1 plus 3 or 4 cars. It's the way forward in central London.

There is no need for private cars. It should be bikes, buses, blue badge holders, a handful of green taxis and liveried commercial vehicles only.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For those that would like to see how many cyclists there are in London.
Check out this vid. Jump to the 11th minute

It's actually worth watching the whole video as it does give you a good idea as to what cycling in London is like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
More from the Guardian

Sadiq Khan to spend £770m on London cycling initiatives

Mayor’s proposed investment gets near levels seen in cycle-friendly nations such as Netherlands and Denmark

Among the plans are two new cycle superhighways, where riders would be largely separated from motor traffic.

London’s mayor, Sadiq Khan, has promised to spend £770m on cycling initiatives over the course of his term, saying he wants to make riding a bike the “safe and obvious” transport choice for all Londoners.

Following criticism that Khan has not been as bold as his predecessor, Boris Johnson, in committing to new bike routes, and amid increasing worries about air quality in London, Khan’s office has set out what is described as a hugely ambitious programme to boost cyclist numbers.

The proposed spending of about £17 per person per year gets near the levels seen in cycle-friendly nations such as the Netherlands and Denmark.
Among the plans are proposals for two new cycle superhighways, routes on which riders are largely separated from motor traffic by kerbs and dedicated traffic lights, the first of which were built under Johnson and have proved hugely popular.

Cycle superhighway 4 would go from Tower Bridge to Greenwich in south-east London, and cycle superhighway 9 is planned to run from Olympia to Hounslow in west London, the City Hall announcement said.
The spending, which represents 5.5% of the budget for Transport for London (TfL), also covers the delivery of a series of extensions or new cycle superhighways already planned under Johnson.
It will also involve more so-called mini-Holland schemes in suburbs, which involve reducing through-traffic on quiet residential streets, and more than a dozen quietway routes along back streets.
Khan said he was delivering on his manifesto promise to be “the most pro-cycling mayor London has ever had”. He said: “With record amounts of money now committed for cycling in London, we will continue to work over the coming months developing further detailed plans for making cycling a safe and obvious choice for Londoners of all ages and backgrounds.”

London is seen as something of a national testbed for schemes to tempt more people out of cars and on to bikes. While overall levels of cycling for transport across the UK have stayed largely static over recent years, in London they have accelerated rapidly, especially on the new protected bike lanes.

TfL statistics released last week showed that cycle traffic on the first two major cycle superhighways, one running north to south past Blackfriars bridge, the other east-to-west along the Embankment, had risen by 55% in six months. At peak times, bikes now form the majority of all vehicles on both routes, the figures showed.

Khan has faced criticism that he has been slow to push through new bike routes, amid vehement if largely unfounded criticism from some driving groups, notably London’s taxi trade, that cycle lanes increase traffic congestion.

However, his new funding announcement has won support from cycling groups, including the London Cycling Campaign, Ashok Sinha, chief executive of the organisation, said the new investment “shows the mayor is serious about meeting his promises to triple the extent of London’s protected cycle lanes, fix the most dangerous junctions and enable boroughs to implement major walking and cycling schemes”.

He said: “It will help make London a better, greener, healthier and less congested city.”

Simontm

Veteran
More from the Guardian

Sadiq Khan to spend £770m on London cycling initiatives

... and cycle superhighway 9 is planned to run from Olympia to Hounslow in west London, the City Hall announcement said.

Hmmm. Does it need it? From Chiswick Roundabout to Hammersmith, it's mainly cycle and bus lane. A couple of useless bike lanes especially after Goldhawk turn off but the bus lanes are good to use so extend them. Actually, why not resurface that stretch so I don't have to pogo to the one-way?
The other way? Can be a bit annoying through Brentford but it's fairly relaxed - again with cycle lanes and bus lanes- from the walls of Sion House to Hounslow.
Gonna be fun cycling through those roadworks!

subaqua

What’s the point
From @gaz
Lots of reports from people that these cycle lanes aren't used. Its 5C. Around half past 8 on a thursday morning. Video is 15mins but played at 4x speed.

Count 'em

Ahhh the flagship CS. It's lovely . Apart from the massive speed tables ( oh the irony ) , and the cars driving in the lane.

Pity the other CS are funking rubbish.

tatr

It's going to be interesting to see how busy it gets in the summer. Last summer it wasn't fully open during the best weather. This year it will go past all the key tourist attractions, and it's been written about in Lonley Planet etc.

Even without a full summer of use, it's clearly more popular than planned.

Work on the Thames Super Sewer is due to start on Jan 23. The original plan was to close the superhighway for 3 years.

However that's changed and the route will now be diverted maintaining full segregation.

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/road-changes-at-victoria-embankment

Not quite as convenient as before, but much better than the 2 mile diversion that cars are going to have to deal with.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I know it's been there for a while now, but could somebody introduce me to the person who designed the segregation at the Elephant and Castle roundabout, particularly the bit on the bend round to Newington Causeway which seems specifically designed to deliver cyclists into the path of buses cutting across the road to their stops?

I'd like to know what the thought process was behind that piece of engineering.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know it's been there for a while now, but could somebody introduce me to the person who designed the segregation at the Elephant and Castle roundabout, particularly the bit on the bend round to Newington Causeway which seems specifically designed to deliver cyclists into the path of buses cutting across the road to their stops?
If you're serious and not just wanting to abuse them, https://twitter.com/bricycle probably knows who it was and possibly the reasoning.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
If you're serious and not just wanting to abuse them, https://twitter.com/bricycle probably knows who it was and possibly the reasoning.
Ta. I don't do Twitter, though.

I wouldn't abuse them, just ask what the idea was. I'm not keen on the new layout full stop (I use the bus lane rather than the cycle track going past the Metropolitan Tabernacle, for instance, because of the number of pedestrians on the cycle track), but that bit onto Newington Causeway is, quite frankly, unsafe (IMO).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ta. I don't do Twitter, though.
OK, let's see if I can understand it to try to summarise questions into 140 characters if there's stuff we can't find. It's been some time since I've cycled around E&C as I tend to turn off St George's Road before I get there, so I'm working from satellite photos - do you mean where the kerbed track ends as you head north into Newington Causeway and there are bus stops before it becomes a full-on bus(+bike+...) mandatory (solid-line) lane?

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/ro...er_uploads/responses-to-issues-raised_v01.pdf says "Although a bus stop by-pass will be provided southbound on Newington Causeway, space restrictions mean it is not possible to provide this provision northbound." There might be more detail at https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/elephant-and-castle/ but it seems to me like the cycle track north had to end somewhere and that was considered the least awful at the time.

embankment.JPG

@ianrauk - how long has that been no left turn for the traffic?

Top Bottom