London commuting.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ianrauk, 5 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

Which ferry? If you mean Woolwich, that's already free to cyclists.

2. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

It'll be the City Clipper. City bound, it stops at Greenwich (south bank), then Docklands pier (north bank).

Last edited: 22 Mar 2018
  3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

No, the one on the line of the proposed bridge. RB4 on https://www.thamesclippers.com/route-time-table

I know about Woolwich and have used it. It seems a bit strange to me that the Sustrans "cycle" route still uses the Greenwich foot tunnels instead of the Woolwich ferry - I guess a millennium lottery project wanted to go past the millennium dome, but why not reroute now?

4. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

Well, if I'm riding from Central London to Charlton, as I do occasionally, the Greenwich foot tunnel is on my route. The Woolwich ferry adds an extra couple of miles. This proposed new crossing would be no use to me for that journey so I would continue to use the foot tunnel.

5. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Sure, as probably would others heading to Charlton, plus parts of Greenwich and maybe Eltham and so on, unless they're really keen to keep cycling legally - but there's a lot of journeys to south and west of there which would be better served by the new bridge (especially people working at Canary Wharf).

As for the Sustrans long-distance route, it's coming along the Thames from Kent and heading for Limehouse, so the Woolwich ferry seems a pretty obvious choice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice