London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jahlive905

A window as in a time frame. See this page.

"Tuesday 3 May 2016 until 2018 – road users

Tooley Street is closed to eastbound traffic from Borough High Street to Bermondsey Street."

That was bliss. But I've just checked and it's only temporary:

"Tooley Street will temporarily reopen to two-way traffic from 18:00 on Saturday 24 February until mid-March 2018."

So during mid-March to May the cars should be gone again :dance:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A window as in a time frame. See this page.

"Tuesday 3 May 2016 until 2018 – road users

Tooley Street is closed to eastbound traffic from Borough High Street to Bermondsey Street."

That was bliss. But I've just checked and it's only temporary:

"Tooley Street will temporarily reopen to two-way traffic from 18:00 on Saturday 24 February until mid-March 2018."

So during mid-March to May the cars should be gone again :dance:

Ah right, so you mean it's now reverted back to normal 2 way traffic.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Mixed feelings on that one. I didn't much like the segregated bike lane because it seemed slightly too narrow and you'd always get some twerp (usually a courier) trying to overtake you even if there wasn't room. Not to mention the hazard of pavement lemmings - always a problem when there's nowhere to escape to due to being fenced in.

On the other hand, it was nicer than fighting for space and air alongside the buses etc.

Do the CSs get gritted. I ask because I’ve here in Brussels they have some new mintractors that clear and then salt the main cycle paths. It’s snowing at the moment :cold:so I expect they will be out later.

Then do need a bit of fine tuning, the salt seems to come out in batches that makes cornering occasionally interesting:ohmy:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Do the CSs get gritted. I ask because I’ve here in Brussels they have some new mintractors that clear and then salt the main cycle paths. It’s snowing at the moment :cold:so I expect they will be out later.

Then do need a bit of fine tuning, the salt seems to come out in batches that makes cornering occasionally interesting:ohmy:
Nope, at least not the separate/off-road sections. The Christmas FNRttC had to be aborted because of black ice. We were on Cable Street (CS3) when a few of us nearly came a cropper, on the path not the road, and we were warning other cyclists who came along when one chap didn't take heed, and went down hard. Stragglers of That Not London tiptoed round to St Pancras to keep warmer for a few hours. When I made my way back down to Guildford for a train home (set off 4.47, I wasn't going to wait for the first train from Waterloo) I kept to the road & went for A-roads rather than lanes.

Pete Owens

View attachment 384402
from http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/of...-use-in-london-set-to-overtake-car-use/022268

Blimey. Stuff's working. At a guess 2003 congestion charge, 2010 cycle hire docks, 2008-2012ish first wave CS, and we wait to see if we can spot 2016ish second wave CS (EW and NS).
I think what you are seeing there is the effect of Ken Livingstone. The only individual policy that can definitely be seen on the graph is the congestion charge producing a significant dip in private car use. But there followed a whole raft of pro-people transport policies (or anti-car in the right wing press), and Ken was one of the few politicians to have the courage to go with them. When Boris came in he was full "end-the-war-on-motorists" rhetoric - and his first actions were abandoning the extension of the congestion charge, reducing the pedestrian crossing time at lights and letting other vehicles into bus lanes. It takes time for the change of policy to start impacting on the streets and some of Ken's programs (such as the "Boris" bikes) were retained, but by 2012 you can see the graphs levelling off.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hopefully a new pedestrian/cycle bridge across the Thames is on it's way

London river crossings: TfL planning construction timeline for Rotherhithe-Canary Wharf pedestrian and cycling bridge
by Rebecca Smith

21 March 2018

rother-5ab2233cd316d-5ab2236b8be56.jpg

The aim is for a crossing to provide an alternative for the Jubilee Line (Source: TfL)
Plans for a new river crossing in east London were given a boost today with the backing of Londoners, so Transport for London (TfL) will now draw up more detailed designs and a construction timeline.

The results of a consultation on the Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf bridge that will provide a pedestrian and cycling route across the Thames were published this morning, with 93 per cent of the 6,093 responses in favour of the new crossing.

TfL’s provisional preferred option of a navigable bridge was supported by 85 per cent of responses to the consultation, and the northern alignment between Nelson Dock and Westferry Circus got the strongest support.

crossing-5ab22353b0149.jpg

(Source: TfL)

The development would link existing and planned cycle routes on both sides of the river, and is aimed at fuelling sustainable growth in east London, Canada Water and the Isle of Dogs by providing a useful alternative to the Jubilee Line.

At present, pedestrians and cyclists don't have many spots where they can cross the river east of Tower Bridge easily and safely - restricting access to key destinations such as Canary Wharf and Canada Water.

TfL said the Greenwich Foot Tunnel is already operating at capacity at peak times and the Rotherhithe Tunnel is regularly avoided by pedestrians and cyclists due to the dominance of traffic and narrow footways.

Deputy mayor for transport, Val Shawcross, said:

I’m delighted that thousands of people took part in the consultation, and have given us such overwhelming support for a new walking and cycling crossing between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf.

With its growing population, a new river crossing is much needed in this part of East London, providing vital new connections for residents, businesses and commuters around Canary Wharf. Our plans should enable thousands more people to make walking and cycling a part of their everyday lives, improving life for everyone.

Gareth Powell, managing director of surface transport at TfL, said: “We are now working with Atkins, our design and engineering consultants, and local stakeholders to develop an accessible and achievable crossing that links to new and proposed walking and cycling routes on both sides of the river.”

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Hopefully a new pedestrian/cycle bridge across the Thames is on it's way

London river crossings: TfL planning construction timeline for Rotherhithe-Canary Wharf pedestrian and cycling bridge
by Rebecca Smith

21 March 2018

View attachment 400955
The aim is for a crossing to provide an alternative for the Jubilee Line (Source: TfL)
Plans for a new river crossing in east London were given a boost today with the backing of Londoners, so Transport for London (TfL) will now draw up more detailed designs and a construction timeline.

The results of a consultation on the Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf bridge that will provide a pedestrian and cycling route across the Thames were published this morning, with 93 per cent of the 6,093 responses in favour of the new crossing.

TfL’s provisional preferred option of a navigable bridge was supported by 85 per cent of responses to the consultation, and the northern alignment between Nelson Dock and Westferry Circus got the strongest support.

View attachment 400956

(Source: TfL)

The development would link existing and planned cycle routes on both sides of the river, and is aimed at fuelling sustainable growth in east London, Canada Water and the Isle of Dogs by providing a useful alternative to the Jubilee Line.

At present, pedestrians and cyclists don't have many spots where they can cross the river east of Tower Bridge easily and safely - restricting access to key destinations such as Canary Wharf and Canada Water.

TfL said the Greenwich Foot Tunnel is already operating at capacity at peak times and the Rotherhithe Tunnel is regularly avoided by pedestrians and cyclists due to the dominance of traffic and narrow footways.

Deputy mayor for transport, Val Shawcross, said:

I’m delighted that thousands of people took part in the consultation, and have given us such overwhelming support for a new walking and cycling crossing between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf.

With its growing population, a new river crossing is much needed in this part of East London, providing vital new connections for residents, businesses and commuters around Canary Wharf. Our plans should enable thousands more people to make walking and cycling a part of their everyday lives, improving life for everyone.

Gareth Powell, managing director of surface transport at TfL, said: “We are now working with Atkins, our design and engineering consultants, and local stakeholders to develop an accessible and achievable crossing that links to new and proposed walking and cycling routes on both sides of the river.”
Smashing. It might even stop people cycling through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

*runs away*

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Smashing. It might even stop people cycling through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

*runs away*
I suspect it depends where on the north side they're going. TfL could probably test the effect by setting a cyclist fare of zero on the ferry (is it about £4 at the moment?) although that's still not going to be as attractive as a bridge.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I suspect it depends where on the north side they're going. TfL could probably test the effect by setting a cyclist fare of zero on the ferry (is it about £4 at the moment?) although that's still not going to be as attractive as a bridge.

Which ferry? If you mean Woolwich, that's already free to cyclists.

mjr

Which ferry? If you mean Woolwich, that's already free to cyclists.
No, the one on the line of the proposed bridge. RB4 on https://www.thamesclippers.com/route-time-table

I know about Woolwich and have used it. It seems a bit strange to me that the Sustrans "cycle" route still uses the Greenwich foot tunnels instead of the Woolwich ferry - I guess a millennium lottery project wanted to go past the millennium dome, but why not reroute now?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
No, the one on the line of the proposed bridge. RB4 on https://www.thamesclippers.com/route-time-table

I know about Woolwich and have used it. It seems a bit strange to me that the Sustrans "cycle" route still uses the Greenwich foot tunnels instead of the Woolwich ferry - I guess a millennium lottery project wanted to go past the millennium dome, but why not reroute now?

Well, if I'm riding from Central London to Charlton, as I do occasionally, the Greenwich foot tunnel is on my route. The Woolwich ferry adds an extra couple of miles. This proposed new crossing would be no use to me for that journey so I would continue to use the foot tunnel.

mjr

Well, if I'm riding from Central London to Charlton, as I do occasionally, the Greenwich foot tunnel is on my route. The Woolwich ferry adds an extra couple of miles. This proposed new crossing would be no use to me for that journey so I would continue to use the foot tunnel.
Sure, as probably would others heading to Charlton, plus parts of Greenwich and maybe Eltham and so on, unless they're really keen to keep cycling legally - but there's a lot of journeys to south and west of there which would be better served by the new bridge (especially people working at Canary Wharf).

As for the Sustrans long-distance route, it's coming along the Thames from Kent and heading for Limehouse, so the Woolwich ferry seems a pretty obvious choice.

Top Bottom