London -Erbil(Iraq) on 2 wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ebahassan

Über Member
Hi Folks,
I am 62 year old male planning to cycle from London to Erbil in Iraq on 1st august 2019, I am gathering information and tips about the routes, camping as much as I can, any body interested, welcome to join me all the way or part of the route, I have allocated 3 month to do the trip it is a round 3000 miles, I am from Erbil originally, been in UK since June 1990. I am a British Citizen

Hello Eba

cant help with any of that route I'm afraid, but maybe look at the London to Istanbul race page - no idea why I cant remember the name of the race at the moment - but there should be some useful route information on that.

I hope you will keep us updated once you start and send any photos/write ups as you go along.

I wish you all the best for the trip and hope that you stay safe.

Brains

Legendary Member
November-December cycling through Turkey ?
It will be cold
It will be snowy
It will be wet
Passes will be closed
Places to stay will be closed
Wild Camping will be 'interesting'

I' be inclined to leave a bit earlier, like May, pootle through Europe in the height of Summer (following the Rhine/Danube route) with the intention of hitting Istanbul by late August, September/early October through Turkey, which would put you in Erbil by November.

I think you're maybe underestimating the distance a little.
Google maps says it just over 3,000 miles.
But that sticking to motorways/main roads in a car.
Which will be/are probably more direct than the roads you want to cycle on.
I'd probably add around 25% for meanders.

Then again only 5 hours on a bike at 10 mph is 50 miles per day, 6 days a week for 13 weeks is 3,900 miles.
So the distance is reasonably easily doable in the time given without pushing to hard.

To get a better idea of what's involved I'd look on "Crazy guy on a bike" for others who have cycled this route.

Luck ................ ^_^

Brains

Legendary Member
If you are serious about doing this, the European section of the route starts at Harwich to Hook of Holland on the ferry, goes down the Rhine to and then joins up with the Danube

There are very good cycle routes along these rivers, and also very good books, the best of which are published by BikeLine (get it in English if you can, but German is OK, as it's the maps and index you need, (not the tourist details)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3850001...=9044970&hvtargid=pla-454248759568&th=1&psc=1

Plan you route using this app
https://cycle.travel/map

And you will need to allow more time.
Hook of Holland to Erdine on the Turkish border is over 2,000 miles
That is do-able in two months, basis 250 miles a week/50 miles a day with the odd day off, which is a good pace, as long as you avoid winter.

It's another 1,500 miles from Erdine to Erbil, you will not be averaging 50 miles a day across Turkey and i have no idea how easy the border crossing into Iraq would be or what the cycling conditions would be like there.
It may be easier to use public transport for Eastern Turkey/Iraq section of the ride

You may need to allow another 2 months for this section, I would also very carefully plan your arrival date, Turkey (and Northern Iraq) only have a few cycling months of the year, you need to avoid the height of summer and the middle of winter

As above look at crazyguyonabike and reach out to @SatNavSaysStraightOn of this parish who now lives down under by did your route a few years ago (with a disastrous end, but that is another story)

OP
OP
E

ebahassan

Über Member
Hello Eba

cant help with any of that route I'm afraid, but maybe look at the London to Istanbul race page - no idea why I cant remember the name of the race at the moment - but there should be some useful route information on that.

I hope you will keep us updated once you start and send any photos/write ups as you go along.

I wish you all the best for the trip and hope that you stay safe.
Thank you, I will keep you informed

OP
OP
E

ebahassan

Über Member
November-December cycling through Turkey ?
It will be cold
It will be snowy
It will be wet
Passes will be closed
Places to stay will be closed
Wild Camping will be 'interesting'

I' be inclined to leave a bit earlier, like May, pootle through Europe in the height of Summer (following the Rhine/Danube route) with the intention of hitting Istanbul by late August, September/early October through Turkey, which would put you in Erbil by November.
Thank you,
It will be very hot in Turkey and Iraq, I brought the starting day earlier to 15 July, in fact I booked a ferry ticket to Dunkirk, I will take it easy.

OP
OP
E

ebahassan

Über Member
I think you're maybe underestimating the distance a little.
Google maps says it just over 3,000 miles.
But that sticking to motorways/main roads in a car.
Which will be/are probably more direct than the roads you want to cycle on.
I'd probably add around 25% for meanders.

Then again only 5 hours on a bike at 10 mph is 50 miles per day, 6 days a week for 13 weeks is 3,900 miles.
So the distance is reasonably easily doable in the time given without pushing to hard.

To get a better idea of what's involved I'd look on "Crazy guy on a bike" for others who have cycled this route.

Luck ................ ^_^
Thank you
I will leave earlier on 15th July and take it easy,
I looked at (Crazy guy on the bike) very interesting

OP
OP
E

ebahassan

Über Member
If you are serious about doing this, the European section of the route starts at Harwich to Hook of Holland on the ferry, goes down the Rhine to and then joins up with the Danube

There are very good cycle routes along these rivers, and also very good books, the best of which are published by BikeLine (get it in English if you can, but German is OK, as it's the maps and index you need, (not the tourist details)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3850001...=9044970&hvtargid=pla-454248759568&th=1&psc=1

Plan you route using this app
https://cycle.travel/map

And you will need to allow more time.
Hook of Holland to Erdine on the Turkish border is over 2,000 miles
That is do-able in two months, basis 250 miles a week/50 miles a day with the odd day off, which is a good pace, as long as you avoid winter.

It's another 1,500 miles from Erdine to Erbil, you will not be averaging 50 miles a day across Turkey and i have no idea how easy the border crossing into Iraq would be or what the cycling conditions would be like there.
It may be easier to use public transport for Eastern Turkey/Iraq section of the ride

You may need to allow another 2 months for this section, I would also very carefully plan your arrival date, Turkey (and Northern Iraq) only have a few cycling months of the year, you need to avoid the height of summer and the middle of winter

As above look at crazyguyonabike and reach out to @SatNavSaysStraightOn of this parish who now lives down under by did your route a few years ago (with a disastrous end, but that is another story)
Thank you
I take your points, I decided to start earlier on 15th July, I booked ferry ticket from Dover to Dunkirk
I re-planned my route using cycle travel maps

Brains

Legendary Member
Thank you
I take your points, I decided to start earlier on 15th July, I booked ferry ticket from Dover to Dunkirk
I re-planned my route using cycle travel maps

15 July in Dunkirk
1,850 miles to Erdine,
Basis 250 miles a week
7-8 weeks
Puts you at the Turkish border on about 1st week of September

I wouldn't go Dover to Dunkirk
The route I'd go is to get the overnight Harwich - Hook ferry.
Then cut roughly SE straight across to the Rhine near Dusseldorf.
Then up the Rhine.
It's a lot flatter that way, look at a topographic map of europe to check it out.
That way you'll have a few weeks to cycle yourself fit before the pull across the ridge to the Danube.

Luck ............ ^_^

Brains

Legendary Member
I wouldn't go Dover to Dunkirk
The route I'd go is to get the overnight Harwich - Hook ferry.
Then cut roughly SE straight across to the Rhine near Dusseldorf.
Then up the Rhine.
It's a lot flatter that way, look at a topographic map of europe to check it out.
That way you'll have a few weeks to cycle yourself fit before the pull across the ridge to the Danube.

Luck ............ ^_^

I agree with a Start at Harwich/Hook of Holland as the best route

You don't have to pull across the ridge to the Danube, there are two flat(ish) routes between the rivers Rhine and Danube.
You either follow the Main/Danube Canal route
or the much older Karls Canal route

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine–Main–Danube_Canal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossa_Carolina

OP
OP
E

ebahassan

Über Member
Hi Folks,
does anybody know
1. where is the best place to leave Rhine river and Join Danube cycling track
2. where is the best place to leave Danube river to head to Istanbul

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

ebahassan

Über Member
I agree with a Start at Harwich/Hook of Holland as the best route

You don't have to pull across the ridge to the Danube, there are two flat(ish) routes between the rivers Rhine and Danube.
You either follow the Main/Danube Canal route
or the much older Karls Canal route

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine–Main–Danube_Canal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossa_Carolina
Hi
Thank you
where exactly or near which city I have to leave Rhine and join Danube canal to Danube River

Top Bottom