london super cycle highways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
I have been along the CS8 and CS3 end to end both ways , but only at weekends , as said some junctions are a bit confusing , pedestrians, joggers to contend with , but all in all pretty good ,
my only concern is the surface , that blue coating , it is a bit to much on the slippery slope side when its wet , I think that at saturation point , both heavy rain and cyclists , I would be riding with exteme caution ,

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I have seen many...many near misses with pedestrians (and one collision at embankment) but every time that is the pedestrians fault for crossing on a red. So I suspect more pedestrians jump the red light than cyclists
Nonsense. Pedestrians can't 'jump' red lights, as they are not bound by them.

Dan B

Disengaged member
So when that happens we get the road back, right?
The previously rather awful Taviplace cycle track has, I believe, recently been doubled in width by reallocating a lane from the road alongside it. So the precedent is there. Whether Sadiq & Will ever do anything with it is another question, of course

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have been along the CS8 and CS3 end to end both ways , but only at weekends , as said some junctions are a bit confusing , pedestrians, joggers to contend with , but all in all pretty good ,
my only concern is the surface , that blue coating , it is a bit to much on the slippery slope side when its wet , I think that at saturation point , both heavy rain and cyclists , I would be riding with extreme caution ,
I have to agree about the paint. On some sections it has a "gloss" finish which causes me to ride very cautiously in the wet. Although, I o Ly tend to ride them in the wet if I'm on one of my own bikes (not a Boris bike...much heavier, fatter tyres) so cant say how well the perform overall.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
In a legal sense perhaps but they are there for a reason...green man means cross, red man means dont.
The reason they are there is because traffic planners and drivers don't like pedestrians going wherever they want. This does not give them either legal or moral authority. People can walk wherever they want, and cyclists need to ride in accordance with the expectation that they will do so.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The reason they are there is because traffic planners and drivers don't like pedestrians going wherever they want. This does not give them either legal or moral authority. People can walk wherever they want, and cyclists need to ride in accordance with the expectation that they will do so.
Yeah yeah that's all very well. But stepping out in front of a moving bicycle, in a red man isn't advisable.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Yeah yeah that's all very well. But stepping out in front of a moving bicycle, in a red man isn't advisable.
Whether I would advise it depends on context, but you said that collisions were often the fault of pedestrians for crossing against the advice of the red man. Your light being green doesn't absolve you of your responsibility not to hit pedestrians.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Whether I would advise it depends on context, but you said that collisions were often the fault of pedestrians for crossing against the advice of the red man. Your light being green doesn't absolve you of your responsibility not to hit pedestrians.
True but it doesn't absolve the pedestrian of their responsibility either.

By the way, I'm not seeking absolution, just pointing out that on Cs there is as much conflict caused by cyclists not acting responsibly or being aware as pedestrians.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
True but it doesn't absolve the pedestrian of their responsibility either.

By the way, I'm not seeking absolution, just pointing out that on Cs there is as much conflict caused by cyclists not acting responsibly or being aware as pedestrians.
My particular concern with CS, apart from the main one of how much space it concedes, is the environment it creates for people on foot. A protected cycleway is an additional and different obstacle to people walking freely.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My particular concern with CS, apart from the main one of how much space it concedes, is the environment it creates for people on foot. A protected cycleway is an additional and different obstacle to people walking freely.
True.

I see your point. You seemed to be arguing that pedestrians should do whatever they want, without responsibility but If you are saying that the cs routes are not good for pedestrians...or everyone...then I agree.

I actually still believe that despite their ease of use and speed, they are not good for cyclists...in the long run (or bigger picture) either.

J1888

Über Member
Can't offer stats but my daily commute on the Farrindgon Street/Blackfriars Bridge superhighway sees a hell of a lot of red light jumping

I'm not a fan of segregation.

I'm also not a fan of the slow removal of responsibility.

I'm not a fan of attempts to remove all risk and the creation of bland, sterile environments.

But....and it pains me to type this bit...the super highways in London are really rather good.

Sure some of the junctions are a mess and sure pedestrians are taking time to get used to looking the wrong way before crossing.

But they are quick, clean, clear and in the most part, well planned. I see very few riders ignoring the red lights (proportionally probably 2%) and even less instances of cars attempting to drive up them (proportionally .000000001%, ie I've seen two since they opened).

So, for what they are designed to do, they seem to work.

I just wish we didn't need the design In the first place and could invest the same amount of cash and energy into an ongoing ...national...education process, starting at school.

I'd rather start at world war 3. Have you ever even been to a school before! They are horrible sadistic places rife with bullying, taunting and abuse. Unis and colleges are humane if you want an education. But school is why Im a self-gratification artist and not an engineer.

Cant comment on the super cycle highways coz I never been to London. I have heard mixed opinions of them tho.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
When the oil runs out we will. Not only will they be unable to power cars, but they'll be unable to create the plastics to build them. Patience grasshopper, patience.

But what about carbon fibre bikes? :eek:

The thing that annoys me the most is when cyclists don't stop at zebra crossings when it's clear there are pedestrians wanting to cross. CS3 goes through many zebra crossings and it makes me sad that people thank me for stopping to let them cross.

Although good manners may suggest otherwise, there is no requirement to stop at a zebra crossing unless the pedestrian has stepped onto it. (rule 19)
rule 19.JPG

Is the Leeds one really bad then?

Leeds - Bradford is the curates egg of Cycle Super Highways. Parts of it are actually quite good, but far too much of it is shockingly bad.
There is a thread about it on the 'Advocacy' board.

True.

I see your point. You seemed to be arguing that pedestrians should do whatever they want, without responsibility but If you are saying that the cs routes are not good for pedestrians...or everyone...then I agree.

I actually still believe that despite their ease of use and speed, they are not good for cyclists...in the long run (or bigger picture) either.
Is there a difference for a pedestrian looking at a red man and a pedestrian crossing anywhere else where's there's no lights? Are they more obliged to not cross at a red man than when there's no indication?

If there's no diffference are cars/cyclists more able to expect pedestrians to not cross in front of them if there's a red man?

Top Bottom