london super cycle highways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm not a fan of segregation.

I'm also not a fan of the slow removal of responsibility.

I'm not a fan of attempts to remove all risk and the creation of bland, sterile environments.

But....and it pains me to type this bit...the super highways in London are really rather good.

Sure some of the junctions are a mess and sure pedestrians are taking time to get used to looking the wrong way before crossing.

But they are quick, clean, clear and in the most part, well planned. I see very few riders ignoring the red lights (proportionally probably 2%) and even less instances of cars attempting to drive up them (proportionally .000000001%, ie I've seen two since they opened).

So, for what they are designed to do, they seem to work.

I just wish we didn't need the design In the first place and could invest the same amount of cash and energy into an ongoing ...national...education process, starting at school.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The education approach has been going on for decades with bugger all effect. The only way we're going to get a meaningful change in the improvement of safety is to put in place the protection that will enable widespread uptake of active travel.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The education approach has been going on for decades with bugger all effect. The only way we're going to get a meaningful change in the improvement of safety is to put in place the protection that will enable widespread uptake of active travel.
Other countries have succeeded in transforming the view and integration of cycling...or cyclists, in relatively short periods of time. I think we are just not doing it right...or with any genuine appetite.

What form of protection do you mean...legal...physical...social?

I have to disagree and say that more than 2% of riders jump the red lights. I commute using the East West Superhighway and I see that at every junction. Granted as you said some junctions could have been designed better to potentially remove the long wait times at the lights, which might reduce the number of riders jumping the lights, but I have seen more than a few riders who jump the lights and then crash into pedestrians running across the crossing. It's the same whether it's rush hour, at night or the weekends. Often these riders simply ride on, which is just unbelievable. At least apologise...?

The thing that annoys me the most is when cyclists don't stop at zebra crossings when it's clear there are pedestrians wanting to cross. CS3 goes through many zebra crossings and it makes me sad that people thank me for stopping to let them cross.

Lonestar

Veteran
Till the CS 2 was built I cycled from Stratford to Aldgate for the last 25 years of my commute(from 1990) but since it's been built (2016) I avoid as much as possible and get off it at Bow...I've only used it once this year on very early shift to see any changes and it hasn't changed much.On the return commute I don't use it at all.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have to disagree and say that more than 2% of riders jump the red lights. I commute using the East West Superhighway and I see that at every junction. Granted as you said some junctions could have been designed better to potentially remove the long wait times at the lights, which might reduce the number of riders jumping the lights, but I have seen more than a few riders who jump the lights and then crash into pedestrians running across the crossing. It's the same whether it's rush hour, at night or the weekends. Often these riders simply ride on, which is just unbelievable. At least apologise...?

The thing that annoys me the most is when cyclists don't stop at zebra crossings when it's clear there are pedestrians wanting to cross. CS3 goes through many zebra crossings and it makes me sad that people thank me for stopping to let them cross.
I'd still stick with 2%. For every hundred riders (that's about every 10 minutes) ill see a couple who cant be arsed and jump the lights.

I've never seen that result I a collision with pedestrians though.

I have seen many...many near misses with pedestrians (and one collision at embankment) but every time that is the pedestrians fault for crossing on a red. So I suspect more pedestrians jump the red light than cyclists.

Incidentally, that collision involved a small group of middle aged people (possibly tourists). Who had to be detained by other riders as they tried to simply leave the scene after causing a young female rider to take a pretty nasty fall.

I understand how annoying it is when riders cause conflict and just carry on but pedestrians do the same on a very regular basis

Lonestar

Veteran
Really, why?

You want me to go into the many reasons when I've already quoted the fact that the road I commuted on for 25 years and used for the last 40 I sadly no longer use.Well I use as far as Bow but no longer down to Aldgate.Truthfully I'm glad to get off it ASAP.I avoid the CS 2 fully on the return because I can.

I'm talking about the CS 2 CS 3 and EW Route here.I run down to Westminster sometimes but only when it's not busy as it can be pretty horrendous.

I'd stick with 50% RLJers and that's being generous....Do you actually use the CS's regularly or have you got rose tinted glasses?

The pedestrian point...but as you get to know how the CS's work you must know that the pedestrians are always going to be a problem the poor design isn't their fault...as are the joggers that run everywhere all over the cycle lane on the EW route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You want me to go into the many reasons when I've already quoted the fact that the road I commuted on for 25 years and used for the last 40 I sadly no longer use.Well I use as far as Bow but no longer down to Aldgate.Truthfully I'm glad to get off it ASAP.I avoid the CS 2 fully on the return because I can.

I'm talking about the CS 2 CS 3 and EW Route here.I run down to Westminster sometimes but only when it's not busy as it can be pretty horrendous.

I'd stick with 50% RLJers and that's being generous....Do you actually use the CS's regularly or have you got rose tinted glasses?

The pedestrian point...but as you get to know how the CS's work you must know that the pedestrians are always going to be a problem the poor design isn't their fault...as are the joggers that run everywhere all over the cycle lane on the EW route.
Yep, pretty regularly.

Possibly 3-10 times a day, Last week I covered 15 miles in one day riding between meetings on the cs system but average around 5 a day, not including my commute, which adds another 3 or so. (From tower bridge to canon street)

I also use the entire system, from the west end right across to lime house , from kings cross down to the elephant and castle.

So yes, I think I am a pretty regular user. My most regular rides are on the super highway from Cannon Street to mill bank and whilst the blackfriars and Westminster junctions are a pain, the rest is very satisfying. I agree hat I see a lot of runners, especially on the embankment section but this doesn't cause me any issue and isn't a fault of the design. I do think the section from tower bridge to lime house is a bit 'toy town' with far too many opportunities for stopping at junctions, swapping road sides and bumping over uneven surfaces...it's also very slim for two way riding but it's a small component of an overall system, probably 1 -2 miles?

I ride the CS at many different times of the day, rush hour, lunch times, evenings, nights so get to experience a very wide range of use, looking at my TFL receipt, I have logged a boris bike hire (sorry Santander ) every working day since February except two days that I had as holiday (to ride Flanders).

My job requires me to attend sites around London, throughout the day and the cs system, coupled with boris bikes is always more favourable to the tube, unless it's raining.

Top Bottom