london super cycle highways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Is there a difference for a pedestrian looking at a red man and a pedestrian crossing anywhere else where's there's no lights? Are they more obliged to not cross at a red man than when there's no indication?

If there's no diffference are cars/cyclists more able to expect pedestrians to not cross in front of them if there's a red man?
I've read this five times now and I still dont understand the question?

Are you asking, should peds not cross on a red man...or should cyclist assume peds will cross at any time regardless of a light?

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Can't offer stats but my daily commute on the Farrindgon Street/Blackfriars Bridge superhighway sees a hell of a lot of red light jumping
By cyclists, or peds?

J1888

Über Member
By cyclists, or peds?

Cyclists - particularly just over the Farringdon St side where there are a couple of sets of lights within a fairly short space - they must think that they're saving themselves time.

Peds on them are a whole different problem - I'm almost used to goons walking out obliviously while staring into the really important stuff on their phone, but a lot of them are just walking straight out without looking both ways.

I've read this five times now and I still dont understand the question?

Are you asking, should peds not cross on a red man...or should cyclist assume peds will cross at any time regardless of a light?
What I mean is a pedestrian crossing a red man is the same as a pedestrian crossing a road. A car or cyclist going through a green light is the same as a car driving down any road. You may proceed but beware that a pedestrian may cross in front of you. And if you think one might you should adjust your speed accordingly.

Lonestar

Veteran
I think the CS 3 Pedestrian interface with the pavement is pretty appalling.(Tower Gateway to Limehouse section)The CS 2 isn't much better with the bus stops either).The CS 3 width is not wide enough as there are many stupid people on it...Last year I nearly got wiped out in the dark by a cyclist tithead with a trailer coming the other way.How I avoided him in the dark I will never know.Unfortunately I have to use that bit to get to Limehouse but I don't use it the other way.

The CS 3 is vastly improved when it's back on the road again after Limehouse but those cycle lights at Westferry are a pain meaning I avoid them by a backstreet in the Canning Town direction and don't use the route the other way as it's appallingly slow and dithery...The lighting sequences on the CS 3 aren't very good and give motorists priority instead of working to a timed sequence.Don't want to delay the motorists do we?

The Cannon Street Road lights have a pushbutton (why?) but the lights still miss giving the cyclists a green with either running through one or two sequences before this happens...Tower Gateway (junction)westwards lights don't bother changing at 5am or earlier (or sometimes once in a blue moon).The cycle lights at the pub eastwards just before Tower Gateway change for about ten seconds (after 9pm) then I find myself stuck there for 2/3/4 minutes every time while it goes through the sequence.During the day the mysterious left turn is banned.So the left hand filter doesn't work.The sequences are mostly poorly thought out anyway as are the lights at Bow and Mile End but I guess the layout has to be like that for safety reasons...There has been times when motorists have misread the sequence maybe looking at the cycling lights on the CS 2 and gone through their red light making a possible conflict...This has happened many times at Mile End to me though not so much now as I stopped using it.A workmate complained he was almost wiped out at Mile End when this happened to him but I got wise to it and was always wary...

The CS 3 regulaty has vehicles invading it.Something else to look out for,

That's just a few to be going on with for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I think the CS 3 Pedestrian interface with the pavement is pretty appalling.(Tower Gateway to Limehouse section)The CS 2 isn't much better with the bus stops either).The CS 3 width is not wide enough as there are many stupid people on it...Last year I nearly got wiped out in the dark by a cyclist tithead with a trailer coming the other way.How I avoided him in the dark I will never know.Unfortunately I have to use that bit to get to Limehouse but I don't use it the other way.

The CS 3 is vastly improved when it's back on the road again after Limehouse but those cycle lights at Westferry are a pain meaning I avoid them by a backstreet in the Canning Town direction and don't use the route the other way as it's appallingly slow and dithery...The lighting sequences on the CS 3 aren't very good and give motorists priority instead of working to a timed sequence.Don't want to delay the motorists do we?

The Cannon Street Road lights have a pushbutton (why?) but the lights still miss giving the cyclists a green with either running through one or two sequences before this happens...Tower Gateway (junction)westwards lights don't bother changing at 5am or earlier (or sometimes once in a blue moon).The cycle lights at the pub eastwards just before Tower Gateway change for about ten seconds (after 9pm) then I find myself stuck there for 2/3/4 minutes every time while it goes through the sequence.During the day the mysterious left turn is banned.So the left hand filter doesn't work.The sequences are mostly poorly thought out anyway as are the lights at Bow and Mile End but I guess the layout has to be like that for safety reasons...There has been times when motorists have misread the sequence maybe looking at the cycling lights on the CS 2 and gone through their red light making a possible conflict...This has happened many times at Mile End to me though not so much now as I stopped using it.A workmate complained he was almost wiped out at Mile End when this happened to him but I got wise to it and was always wary...

The CS 3 regulaty has vehicles invading it.Something else to look out for,

That's just a few to be going on with for now.
The canon street road lights have a push button, really, where?

Lonestar

Veteran
The canon street road lights have a push button, really, where?

"Cannon Street Road.....I mean on the CS 3 crossover.with Cannon Street Road (in case there is some sort of misunderstanding here)..There is a pushbutton similar to what the pedestrians use for when they cross at pedestrian lights.On your left if you are at the front standing by the white line.

The CS 3 from Tower Gateway to Westminster is reasonable but I wouldn't want to use bits of it when it gets really busy.I suppose it's the victim of it's own success.

Have you seen the CS 3 collision video?

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
"Cannon Street Road.....I mean on the CS 3 crossover.with Cannon Street Road (in case there is some sort of misunderstanding here)..There is a pushbutton similar to what the pedestrians use for when they cross at pedestrian lights.On your left if you are at the front standing by the white line.

The CS 3 from Tower Gateway to Westminster is reasonable but I wouldn't want to use bits of it when it gets really busy.I suppose it's the victim of it's own success.

Just watched it , who do you think was at fault ?

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Just watched it , who do yoy think was at fault ?

Well originally I was wrong.I thought it was the boris biker but it wasn't.

On that narrow section though overtaking is pointless and dangerous.Just be patient and stay safe.

Although good manners may suggest otherwise, there is no requirement to stop at a zebra crossing unless the pedestrian has stepped onto it. (rule 19)
View attachment 350139

I see your point and also know what the Highway Code says. Though as a pedestrian, I wouldn't dare step onto a zebra crossing until I see the traffic is slowing down enough for me to make it to the other side in one piece (or the traffic island if there is one).

Maybe it's just me, but as a cyclist it doesn't do any favours for cyclists' reputation if I ride straight across the crossing even though someone is standing there waiting to cross. Granted they are not on the crossing itself so technically I am not doing anything wrong, but it doesn't hurt to be nice and stop, particularly since no pedestrian will stand at the zebra crossing if they do not want to cross.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Ah right, yes I have seen that and didn't realise you had to push it til a rider reached around me and, with a sigh, pushed it for me. It's the only one I've noticed, hence my surprise when I though that another existed so close to my office...and regular commute.

Ive not seen the video no.
Edit, just watched it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom