London to Birmingham via Grand Union Canal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Has anyone here done this?

I really want to give this a go. I live in London now however Birmingham will always be "home". I could get on the canal in watford and then cycle to birmingham spend the weekend at my mums house, possibly get collected by my wife in the car or cycle back a few days later. Of course I'm thinking well in advance here when its safe to visit family & wishfully thinking of things to do when we are out of lockdown.

I've found the below useful article on someone else experience of doing this the other way round. Here they suggest you need roughly 2 or 3 days. I was hoping to do this in one day so don't need to carry too much with me & save time. Am I being totally unrealistic? Its 120 miles ish, which is fine on open roads but with people traffic on canals and the slower pace as result is it still possible?

https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-from-birmingham-to-london/

I will be riding a cyclocross bike with decent 700x30 mavic all road wheels/tyres. So should be ok with the "off road" sections. I have a large saddle bag that will take enough food/snacks. Two water bottles on the frame. Spare tubes, multitool pump etc if they don't fit in the saddle bag with the food will go into my jersey pockets. I'll need to find somewhere to put my phone and a small battery pack to keep it charged up. I hope to only use it if I get lost, otherwise, stick to the canal and keep cycling till I get to Birmingham. I may buy a handlebar bag to carry other bits. Not sure what else I need to carry, overnight clothing etc I shouldn't need as I have everything at my mums house.

Any other tips or advice for someone taking on a solo ride like this?

Thanks in advance

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Apart from being incredibly boring, it would be a big ask in one day as large parts of it are very slow going due to congestion and bad surfaces. Another good blog about the journey is at: https://harlechjoe.wordpress.com/2017/05/24/cycling-through-forgotten-britain-the-grand-union-canal/

Reactions: C R

alicat

Legendary Member
I wouldn't try it until social distancing is over - not fair on all the people you will pass especially since canal towpaths are more crowded at the mo.

Whenever I cycle on a canal I worry about ending up in the drink. I wouldn't like to be having that fear for so far.

pjd57

Veteran
The mileage isn't too bad but a lot will depend on the quality of the path surface .
I only have experience of the Forth and Clyde canal which in general is pretty good , and the Union canal, Falkirk to Edinburgh which isn't great.

I've done Glasgow to Edinburgh and back using them, it's about 115 miles. It's just a long slog particularly on the Union section as it had no locks it follows contours and adds about ten miles on to the road distance.

London to Birmingham...

Go for it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd not want to try and cover 120 miles in 1 day on canal paths only, the going will be very slow indeed in some sections with anglers, dog walkers and long leads, runners, walkers, all sorts of hazards and street furniture to be aware of and deal with. Some sections would be far better going of course, but even so, that's a long way. Aiming for that distance in one push I'd want to be on roads where I could maintain good progress for most of the day without being held up constantly, or worrying that my pace was inappropriate to others sharing the same space.​
I think there are two ways to look at this, either stick to the canal and break the journey overnight at a pub / B+B halfway, or if it has to be a one day shot between the two cities then plan a quieter road route on Ride With GPS.​

vickster

Legendary Member
Google maps suggests it's around 110 miles by bike from Watford to Birmingham, why do you need to do it on the canal all the way?

Have you done many 100 mile+ solo rides?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Has anyone here done this?

I really want to give this a go. I live in London now however Birmingham will always be "home". I could get on the canal in watford and then cycle to birmingham spend the weekend at my mums house, possibly get collected by my wife in the car or cycle back a few days later. Of course I'm thinking well in advance here when its safe to visit family & wishfully thinking of things to do when we are out of lockdown.

I've found the below useful article on someone else experience of doing this the other way round. Here they suggest you need roughly 2 or 3 days. I was hoping to do this in one day so don't need to carry too much with me & save time. Am I being totally unrealistic? Its 120 miles ish, which is fine on open roads but with people traffic on canals and the slower pace as result is it still possible?

https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-from-birmingham-to-london/

I will be riding a cyclocross bike with decent 700x30 mavic all road wheels/tyres. So should be ok with the "off road" sections. I have a large saddle bag that will take enough food/snacks. Two water bottles on the frame. Spare tubes, multitool pump etc if they don't fit in the saddle bag with the food will go into my jersey pockets. I'll need to find somewhere to put my phone and a small battery pack to keep it charged up. I hope to only use it if I get lost, otherwise, stick to the canal and keep cycling till I get to Birmingham. I may buy a handlebar bag to carry other bits. Not sure what else I need to carry, overnight clothing etc I shouldn't need as I have everything at my mums house.

Any other tips or advice for someone taking on a solo ride like this?

Thanks in advance

It sounds like a great adventure, and eminently "do-able". Like @pjd75 I've cycled Glasgow to Edinburgh along the Canal, but unlike @pjd75 I only cycled one way. I Really enjoyed it and looked on it as an adventure, so there wasn't any pressure to make a certain amount of progress by a certain time.
I've done a few long solo runs and if I could offer any advice it would be to take regular breaks off the bike, stay hydrated and change into something warmer well before dusk.
All the best on your adventure if you decide to go ahead, and please come back and let us know how it went.🤞

( There's a " Grand Union Canal Run ", an annual foot race from Gas Street basin in Brum to Little Venice in London. 145 miles with a cut off of 45 hours. Course record is 22:15 men, 27:26 women.
I know a couple of people who have done it and they say it's quite tough in places :eek: )

On a flat road I'll average around 12 mph while touring.
Once I go off road I'll drop to a maximum of around 2/3 of this speed.
So I'd expect 120 miles to take around 10 hours on road or 15 hours off.
So just doable but I'd need to be very fit to do that many hours on a bike in one day.

Luck ............. ^_^

jay clock

Massive member
I did a couple of days on the Canal du Midi and turgidly dull. And very tiring avoiding obstacles, tree roots etc and looking a few feet ahead. 120 miles of that in a day would be murder

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I did a couple of days on the Canal du Midi and turgidly dull. And very tiring avoiding obstacles, tree roots etc and looking a few feet ahead. 120 miles of that in a day would be murder
Interesting. I’ve done many rides along the Canal du Midi and loved it. It’s a bit bumpy in places but beautiful.

Top Bottom