London to Brighton route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I want to plan a route from London (near Hyde Park (central) ) to Brighton and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommended routes or nice parts to cycle through with a road bike? I don't use google maps because it usually comes up with long-winded routes or even through fields and unpaved paths. I prefer plotting my own routes using strava. Any helps is much appreciated!

si_c

Guru
Have you looked at the London to Brighton organised ride?

Sharky

Guru

mikeIow

Guru
Try using cycle.travel - it is a brilliant route planning tool.
You can print maps (overview/detailed) or take GPS to put on a device.
It came up with this within seconds of me typing in, and obviously you can start or end where you like.

FWIW, I've done the BHF ride perhaps 4 times over many years....the route is okay, if you can find that.
Getting out of London on nice roads is always the challenge....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
TBH my route is mainly A Roads so not really for inexperienced cyclists.
Their best bet is to get the route for the BHF ride and follow that.

Aye, I suppose there were some fast roads - past Gatwick, for example, and the bit where we crossed the M23 or M25, whichever it was.

Several pretty villages as well, although we were going that fast (for me), I didn't take much of it in.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
+1. Lot of roads that Ian's route, or the ones taken on FNRttCs, that just aren't suitable for many riders in daylight…

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

My favourite route.
Make your own way through London.
Bletchingley, Outwood, Smallfield, Copthorne Common, Turner's Hill, Ardingly, Lindfield (nr Haywards Heath, stop at cafe), Slugwash Lane, Wivelsfield Green, Westmeston, Ditchling Beacon, Brighton.

None of these roads are super busy, but from Bletchingley to Lindfield it's mostly medium sized roads. Twiddly lane alternatives can be constructed.
Thank youuu so much :smile: I'll use your suggestions to plot my route on strava.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Im not that experienced but i don't mind A routes but B routes are just nicer to ride along and I can ride side by side in some of them if I'm cycling with someone. I'm used to riding in traffic so it's nice to get a break from it with B routes.

Top Bottom