FNRttC London to Maldon, Friday May 18

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It just so happens (if @mmmmartin should wish)....
Oxford? Bit more clag on the exit, but soon in The Chilterns, wheeee down, flat finish. Just need to sort catering. Unless @CharlieB wants to get his apron out.

What route would that take approximately do you think? If for example it passed through south Oxfordshire I think I could rustle up some volunteers to lay on a spread similar to @Trickedem and his team do at Strood, in our village hall. Depends on the route passing near Didcot, which may be way out.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It just so happens (if @mmmmartin should wish)....
Oxford? Bit more clag on the exit, but soon in The Chilterns, wheeee down, flat finish. Just need to sort catering. Unless @CharlieB wants to get his apron out.
We're just up the hill from Charlie, and a previous curate of the parish church was keen on the idea, to the extent of volunteering the church itself rather than the hall. A member of the PCC is also a Fridays member... For a small number, our house might be possible. We're probably less than half way, which may or may not be an issue. Catering and bike security at the end might be tricky, but @Fab Foodie had the idea of going on to Abingdon. No train, and an unglamorous destination, though.

London to Oxford was a ride I promised to put on as an experiment - a promise I have failed to keep. My mental plan was A404 to Amersham, A413 to Missenden, avoiding the horrible road surface which did for @GrumpyGregry. Then through the hills to Risborough, Phoenix trail to Thame and via Stanton Street John to Oxford.

In an ideal world there would be parallel rides from Brum and Bristol to converge.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
We're just up the hill from Charlie, and a previous curate of the parish church was keen on the idea, to the extent of volunteering the church itself rather than the hall. A member of the PCC is also a Fridays member... For a small number, our house might be possible. We're probably less than half way, which may or may not be an issue. Catering and bike security at the end might be tricky, but @Fab Foodie had the idea of going on to Abingdon. No train, and an unglamorous destination, though.

London to Oxford was a ride I promised to put on as an experiment - a promise I have failed to keep. My mental plan was A404 to Amersham, A413 to Missenden, avoiding the horrible road surface which did for @GrumpyGregry. Then through the hills to Risborough, Phoenix trail to Thame and via Stanton Street John to Oxford.

In an ideal world there would be parallel rides from Brum and Bristol to converge.

From memory, you are in exactly the right place. I'll pm you.

Gestation of ride, lovey. SRW led us on a great route from Amersham to Oxford last year I'll be up for a night time version.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
IMG_20180519_102501952.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Plenty of FNR history with that ford.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Was it that one where the water levels were very high one time, after torrential rain, and the road was running with water and alive with little frogs?
The very one. Aussie Greg just waded on through.... And we all followed.

Also the place where Claud came off and sprained her ankle due to ice.

Oh yes and Stuart bombing through the Ford and coming a cropper

Chrisbpr

Thank you Nick for leading the ride,it was my first one and i will defiantly be along again ( London to oxford is very doable for me).enjoyed my stints as way pointer as it gave me plenty of opportunity to ride though the dark,treelined tunnels of the essex countryside on my own for a bit.the breakfast at the end put me in good shape for my 30mile trip to stansted to get the train home and i nearly made it to a century.once again thank you for an enjoyable night out.

U

User10571

6982490316_867ea4a4f9_z.jpg

Looking at the mag-mount aerial on the boot, I cannot help but wonder whether or not there was a punter on board.....

ETA: 'Punter'. Can you see that it has taken me just over 24 hrs to see what I did there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom