FNRttC London to Maldon, Friday May 18

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Somewhere new: London to Maldon on Friday, May 18
A new leader: Nick ‘Saddlesore’
We'll head north through London along the path of the New River, then out into the 'burbs along the Lea Valley, with a brief comfort stop at Cheshunt (25km). You'll smell the country air as we cross the Rye Lane treatment plant, up into Herts, and a sharp right for Essex. About 4 a.m. we should reach the cafe at Hatfield Heath (62km), which is opening especially for us. Sawbridgeworth station is nearby for those who’ve had enough. Onward, through the Rodings and the Walthams, and down to Maldon for a quayside breakfast at the Jolly Sailor soon after 8 a.m.

Overall distance is 104km, just 570m of upness with a max. of 4% - eminently doable on fixed gear. Not super-speedy, but relaxed and sociable. And absolutely no off-road. Apart from a teeny bit.
Some may spot that Maldon lacks a railway. Routes will be provided to the nearest (10km) and also to the useful but not so near. Nothing of note happening on Saturday, so should be quiet out.

It's our usual starting point on the South Bank - as always, please be there by 11.30pm.
If you haven't been on one of our rides before, please read 'The Basics' page on our website https://www.fnrttc.org.uk
Interested? You must sign up in advance at http://bit.ly/2Jjhbrz

Last edited:

rb58

Enigma
I'd love to have done this, but I'm travelling back from Scotland late that evening. I'm wondering whether a quick sprint up to Maldon for breakfast might be on the cards though.

OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Bump time for the Joys of Essex.
Long range AccuWeather is dry overnight, chilly at usual chilly time.
First rider email will go out tomorrow or Friday, dependent on...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Nearest station: Chelmsford 123? Will only be my second visit to Maldon, the first back in 2011…good lord, didn't seem that long ago. Happened to be wearing the same jersey, and on the same bike, today.
Apropos of nothing, except the coincidence, there's also a Jolly Sailor in Heybridge Basin.

simgsxr

Will only be my second visit to Maldon, the first back in 2011…good lord, didn't seem that long ago. Happened to be wearing the same jersey, and on the same bike, today.

Hope the weather will be as good as 2011 :okay:
DSC00278.JPG
DSC00307.JPG

OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Based on The Daily Telegraph (I'm conservative about weather):

The Maldon Breakfast could take place on the hottest day of the year so far, according to the bookmaker Ladbrokes.
It is offering odds of 5/1 that The Fridays will see temperatures in excess of 29.1C when they get to the pub on 19 May.
“It is still early, but the forecast is for hot and sunny weather.
"The question many people are asking is: Just how hot will it be?” said Ladbrokes spokesperson Jessica Bridge.

OK, it might also rain.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Accuweather and The Met Office tell us it'll be dry and warm all night. Met Office also gives a following wind that pushes us out of London then turns slightly to push us towards Maldon and finally changes to be a tailwind as we enter Maldon.
Looks like chilliest is 8 degrees.
Glad I signed up for this.

I think there are still a few places left, by the way.

Top Bottom