FNRttC London to Shoreham Friday 2nd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Hope the brekkie is as good as last time!!!
It is!
DSC_0498.JPG

robjh

Legendary Member
And this is how it all began. Thanks @Flying Dodo for another great FNRttC.
DSC_0495.JPG

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Best. Night. Ride. Ever.
Quick exit from That London.
Lovely lanes.
Warm night, short sleeves!
No wind.
Lovely views.
Birdsong.
Super to see and chat with old chums.
Great breakfast, probably the bestest.
Few mechanicals, cuppla visitations and @robjh demonstrated his winning performance in the Olympic chain wrestling competition and proved you don't need a chain whip to free a jammed chain. Oh no.
Very professionally served breakfast, several had second helpings and there seemed to be unlimited coffee.

hatler

Guru
Great fun. Beautiful route. I had no idea that there was a view to the left on that stretch of road after Turners Hill, I've only ever done that one in the other direction in pitch blackness.

That was my first time wholly at the back which, given my current lack of time on the bike, was probably no bad thing.

Three incidents: Puncture 1 (Stuaff's first ever FNRttC puncture) was dealt with quickly; Puncture 2 (Julian) likewise; robjh's chain jam was of a slightly more serious order of magnitude. It took about half an hour of (robjh's) oily-handed wrenching to get the chain out from between the cassette and the wheel. He ended up having to break it, then use the leverage of one of the chainrings to pull it free. One link discarded to be replaced with a spare quick-link, and a massive adjustment of the limit screw to ensure it didn't happen again. Ugly.

Aside from that, and as Martin says, bird song aplenty and very little motorised traffic on the chosen route.

Sadly I had to bail as we got to the airport (domestic duties demand dad) so missed out on the brekkie, which was a bit of a wrench, knowing how good it is.

Scooted off to Shoreham station and had only eight minutes to wait for a train back to London. (And was back home before the poor GCSE student was even awake.) All good.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
First Whitstable was my first love but now I have a new mistress with whom to while away the night.

Best English Night Ride, ever. Simple as. End of.

My legs appear to be hollowed out, and as I type there is a strange lump in my throat. Old friends, new friends and a ride on my fave roads in Sussex with them. Bliss.

and what a breakfast!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
and a word on AyUps. I last charged mine in 2014. Seriously.

They lasted all night. Amazing.

wanda2010

Guru
I think this was the warmest night ride I've done so far, despite wearing two thin pairs of gloves (fingers freeze no matter the temp). As much as I whinge about hills/inclines/mountains, I sometimes forget that I've improved a lot since starting the night rides. Tonight I only walked up a small section and it wasn't Turners Hill :dance:

The breakfast was foine/superb/lovely and I hope we get enough people next time to fill the restaurant area too ^_^.

Thanks Adam and the TECs and waymarkers. :okay::okay:

Now, if one of you could come clean my bike and get the food shopping whilst I have a kip, I'd be most grateful :angel::whistle:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As I sat down for breakfast, @Flying Dodo said "how are you?"

"I'm past participle of an Anglo Saxon derived verb indicating sexual congress."

That was tough. It's the furthest I've ridden since the autumn, and coming back from sickness I don't have the base fitness - so my granniest gear was in regular use. It is a good route, even if it seemed to show off some of the roughest tarmac in Surrey, and revealed that just throwing on a dynamo light without adjustment doesn't really work to illuminate a downhill road.

Apologies to anyone trying to engage me in conversation - I could hardly string together a sentence. And thanks to @User13710 for the offer of a flatcut through the Adur valley.

I made it back to Surrey safely, have inhaled a bit more food and after a snooze am vegetating in front of rubbish telly.

I will be back, fitter and stronger!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
An awesome nights riding. Thank you @Flying Dodo . One of the very best night rides. Thank you especially for making so that the temps all night meant it was probably the warmest ever FNR. No need for armwarmers or jacket for me. Superb
I loved the new 'Improved' route. It made for splendid riding. The Edifice was brilliant with hosts being their usual friendly selves.
The Shoreham brekkie? Well what can one say. It's simply the best, and yes I dug into seconds.

So thanks all Apart from the couple of punctures and Robs chain wrenching. A most successful, enjoyable, brilliant FNR

20170603_060712.jpg

The SMRbtH, with @rb58 @Gordon P @robjh & @StuartG
20170603_092703.jpg

1496474868040.jpg

The scores on the doors.
20 Miles to the start.
60 Miles to SHoreham.
56 Miles to home
14 extra miles on top.. just because it was so nice out there this afternoon.
Making a grand total of 150 miles.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think this was the warmest night ride I've done so far, despite wearing two thin pairs of gloves (fingers freeze no matter the temp). As much as I whinge about hills/inclines/mountains, I sometimes forget that I've improved a lot since starting the night rides. Tonight I only walked up a small section and it wasn't Turners Hill

if I may... That bit where you caught and passed Titus and I and we suggested comparisons to Superwoman. Had you sat behind us and twiddled..... My money is on no walking, next time. ;)

Top Bottom