FNRttC London to Shoreham Friday 2nd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

If it's Wetherspoons they'll find smashed avocado a real culture shock :smile:
Is that the colour of the khazis bathroom suites?

J1888

Über Member
Well, having now had a few hours of much-needed kip, I'd like to thank flyingdodo for leading the ride - did so impeccably - it was a large group and to accommodate all those people is mightily impressive.

Strangely found myself struggling a bit more than usual at times on this ride...which I now realise is because I'm getting a cold!

Managed to fall asleep standing up on the Overground, which was quite impressive I thought.

Breakfast was absolutely cracking btw, couldn't believe it when we walked in and the whole place was set up for us - really friendly staff too.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A record was, er, punctured. RIP. For the first time on an FNR- not any mechanical on any of the individual rides nor even the tours I've done since May 2009- I suffered a deflation. Chunk of flint did for my rear tube. I had the rear wheel off (about the limit of my expertise) when TECs and assorted helpers arrived. Tyre levers twanged off multiple times in the hands of multiple persons before Ian made it look easy and I was soon rolling again. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Rewind some hours…as per recent weeks, work went to the 9.30 wire. I had been half-inclined to not trying to make the 9.38 Waterloo train, instead changing at work and getting the 2208. But, if I don't prepare for the half-mile dash round to the northbound platform (yes, there are lifts from the rather nearer southbound side- but fiddly access etc) and then we get the all-clear a minute or two early…so as per usual I had the bike loaded up ready to go. As it happened, colleague already having opened up the cycle shed+generally making speed rather than haste= making the 9.38 train, rolling up to the platform about ten seconds before it pulled in. No acts of goods train or other delays and into Waterloo bang on schedule, where I awaited a compact meet-up before we headed round to the NFT. Delighted that this was a day with two Dawns, the lovely @User21629 having decided to come along after all and clearly had a very good time- though now apparently she also has insomnia (all those positive vibes whizzing around the brain perhaps?). And for the first time in ??? long, @GrumpyGregry !!!! Welcome back, again! 20 new people among 70, they all seemed to enjoy it. And after Phil B from the Pompey audaxers joined me on the IOW, Paul C came along for this one. A few more locals along for Hayling (or Havant, as Titus suggested to me)? I hope so. Though some of the new people clearly didn't get the memo about making yourself known to the rider leader when you arrive at the start point.....

First part was straightforward enough. Tried and tested routing with no mechanicals. The Farthing Downs variation is very popular, rather fond of it myself (apart from the cattle grids, naturally). Then I had my puncture (sorted rapidly enough that I ended up at the sharp end of the scout hut queue) before Rob's chain contorted and needed that rather lengthy uncontortion. Never mind, more time for nattering and tea consumption. A pleasure to be back in Burstow. Turn at the Redehall Road junction reminded me of marking that point on the Martlets ride back in 2011.

Second half- more lovely. Turners Hill- it's been a while. And the nastier ascent to boot. OK, that's not particularly lovely....Then The Breakfast. And The Second Breakfast. Nom nom nom. After more nattering, I left with the last few bods at 10.35, intending to ride home and get the century for the month done ASAP. Rapidly decided the headwind was a too bit stiff for my liking- under 11 mph average speed- and slogging away for four hours or so did not appeal. Got to Worthing, had only five minutes to wait for the next train…where I joined Adam and Rebecca!! Back home and into the land of nod by one.

Thanks @Flying Dodo for a cracking job as always, and everyone else. Special mentions for Chris, our lanterne rouge, who completed the ride at his own pace in excellent spirits, the lad on the BSO, and Ian who showed an excellent turn of speed despite being on an MTB with nobbly tyres.

And next, the ride in God's own county. After a night out with some musical German cycling enthusiasts :smile:

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
Few mechanicals, cuppla visitations and @robjh demonstrated his winning performance in the Olympic chain wrestling competition and proved you don't need a chain whip to free a jammed chain. Oh no.

robjh's chain jam was of a slightly more serious order of magnitude. It took about half an hour of (robjh's) oily-handed wrenching to get the chain out from between the cassette and the wheel. He ended up having to break it, then use the leverage of one of the chainrings to pull it free. One link discarded to be replaced with a spare quick-link, and a massive adjustment of the limit screw to ensure it didn't happen again. Ugly.

Despite several bouts of hand-washing and a shower I still have the oil under my fingernails to remind me of the chain-wrestling. Thanks to all those who shone torches and lent tools and offered advice during this little challenge, and to @ianrauk for his magic chain link. I'll email you a replacement:rolleyes:
Tasks for Sunday : fit new chain and cassette, deep-clean and refix derailleur and adjust everything from scratch.

Highlights? Farthing Down. The lanes either side of Bletchingly in the dark; the loveliness of the Sussex lanes in the early morning; the Adur valley route through the South Downs; not to mention breakfast at Shoreham with decent coffee (unlimited) and second helpings of food.

Five of us started out on the SMRbtLondon, in lovely weather - sunny but not sweaty - and made good progress, almost retracing our steps northwards. By midday I was on the A23 with @ianrauk and @rb58 but decided to jump on a train from Gatwick to be sure of making my onward connection to Cambridge. By 3 I was home and good for nothing :cry:.

In summary, another wonderful night in good company.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As I get older I'm finding the aftermath of a night ride harder and harder to cope with. Can't seem to fall asleep during the Saturday even for a short restorative kip, then suddenly crash in the evening, then wide awake during Saturday night. :sad: The ones where long-distance travel is involved seem to be even worse, so it might be that I give those up for now.
You might be getting older but you don't look any older. ;)

wanda2010

Guru
As I get older I'm finding the aftermath of a night ride harder and harder to cope with. Can't seem to fall asleep during the Saturday even for a short restorative kip, then suddenly crash in the evening, then wide awake during Saturday night. :sad: The ones where long-distance travel is involved seem to be even worse, so it might be that I give those up for now.

That would be a real shame if you do :sad:

I managed a hour's doze when I got home on. Rode to the shops as couldn't face using the bus and, despite burning with tiredness didn't fall asleep til gone 11pm. Today is basically cancelled whilst I try to get myself together for the working week ahead.

Come to York first, tho!

Top Bottom