FNRttC London to Shoreham Friday 2nd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
[QUOTE 4820989, member: 21629"]Blackmail :boxing:[/QUOTE]
Not at all. Our halfway and breakfast hosts need an accurate headcount so they prepare the right amount of food. There will be last-minute drop-outs and no-shows, but turning up at the last minute has generally been discouraged for that reason. Punch me later if you're so inclined ;)

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Not being to clever at route planning the mean streets of London can anyone give me an easy route from Paddington to the new meet point please ?

@Flying Dodo is currently en route from Mitcham to Luton and may not see this tonight so I'll pitch in now to say that, historically, the cut off has been midday Wednesday - both for sign ups and, as much as possible, (advance) cancellations. Wednesday afternoon is usually when ride leaders give final numbers to the halfway stop and, if necessary, the breakfast venue.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not being to clever at route planning the mean streets of London can anyone give me an easy route from Paddington to the new meet point please ?
Get to the old meet-up via Hyde Park, then pretend you're on an old Whitstable ride to get to Parliament. Cross over Westminster Bridge instead of going left along the Embankment, then at the pedestrian crossing cut up onto the pavement. Nip through the bollards past the back of County Hall (remembering in your prayers the temporary death of London's democracy), and keep straight on, with what's left of the Shell Building on your right and the London Eye on your left. Keep going past the Festival Hall, then about when you go under Waterloo Bridge turn left onto the riverfront.

And now I realise I need to look up on the website exactly which bit of the riverfront is the meetup.

StuAff

Get to the old meet-up via Hyde Park, then pretend you're on an old Whitstable ride to get to Parliament. Cross over Westminster Bridge instead of going left along the Embankment, then at the pedestrian crossing cut up onto the pavement. Nip through the bollards past the back of County Hall (remembering in your prayers the temporary death of London's democracy), and keep straight on, with what's left of the Shell Building on your right and the London Eye on your left. Keep going past the Festival Hall, then about when you go under Waterloo Bridge turn left onto the riverfront.

And now I realise I need to look up on the website exactly which bit of the riverfront is the meetup.
By the NT. If Adam follows Tim's example he'll do the safety talk from the NT steps (which had the advantage of being a bit further away from the bars next door).

mark st1

Plastic Manc

Never done Whitstable to date but I do no roughly where you mean from the old meet point. Except the very last bit but will keep an eye out. Thanks for that

U

User482

I'll probably go for a pre ride sharpener at Paddington before heading over, if you fancy it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 4821563, member: 21629"]Ok ... Form done, train ticket bought.[/QUOTE]
Usual train and meet-up?
I will cycle back towards Deal in the morning after brekkie.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Wednesday is really the cut-off, although I always assume I'll get about 5 no-shows who don't bother contacting me, or who ring me to cancel at 8pm on Friday.
So I always tell the half way stop and destination a slightly smaller number than have actually registered, which surprisingly, currently stands at 69.

Here's a picture of my bike outside the National Theatre coffee bar.

IMG_20170513_000646_resized_20170530_100711612.jpg

StuAff

It's 106 miles along the coast, mostly flat hopefully with a prevailing tailwind. I have all day and with luck I might just make it. If not I'll bail at a suitable point and catch a train the rest of the way home. Nothing ventured etc. etc.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21461938
Yup, plenty of bail-out options. I should be riding home, weather permitting but it's only 43 or so. 106 is the kind of mileage I'd rather tackle before an FNR, not after (as when I rode to Bristol a few weeks back,). Good luck!

sagefly

Veteran
I can meet you at Paddo and guide you down start of the ride if you like?

Last edited:
Top Bottom