Lone Rides in remote areas what extra spares do you carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djb1971

Legendary Member
20 miles a away from civilisation I'd take my normal kit. Up in the highlands or islands maybe a spare tyre and an extra tea bag or two :thumbsup:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Pliers to open a chain link - a great workshop tool, but certainly seems excessive to have when you are out and about. They are a faff, but you can look at using a small allen key from the multitool and your screwdriver to open the chainlink (provided the screwdriver is thin enough to put through the gap).

I've heard of a home-made tool for this, basically a hairpin shape made from a cut length of scrap spoke. Not tried it yet though. Keep meaniing to.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
An emergency pie.

galaporkeggpie.JPG

Siegfried

is that pie for eating or fighting off highwaymen?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Another way re undoing quicklinks
I carry a small pair of pointed tweezers with the points bent in slightly, and they work well (and are useful for other things anyway, like getting flints, thorns etc out of tyres). Helps to clean the link really well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I took 3 spare tubes and a puncture kit yesterday. If I had remembered, I would have taken a spare tyre too. I always carry an SRAM powerlink in case my chain breaks. (I don't think that I have ever broken a chain on a road bike, but I have fixed several for other people who have. I think I broke a chain on a MTB ride once.)

I used to take so many things with me it got silly , in the end i knew going out they bike was well maintained so why carry all these things , now its levers , tube , co2 , and bank card , these four items will get you home from anywhere.
Not where we were supposed to ride today, where I rode yesterday instead! :thumbsup:

My bike started making unpleasant noises when I was a long way from potential help and that got me a bit worried. (I haven't found out what the cause was yet but I think it is either the bottom bracket wearing out, or the chain needing lube.)

I only saw one call box out there, and my phone lost signal for 6 hours of the 11 that I was out! It would have been a very long trek to get to somewhere to summon help.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Not where we were supposed to ride today, where I rode yesterday instead! :thumbsup:
my phone lost signal for 6 hours of the 11 that I was out! It would have been a very long trek to get to somewhere to summon help.

I dont know if it was just around us here , but today it rained for about half an hour then has been glorious all day.
Sat in all day awaiting the biblical rain storms that never came.

I have changed from four items to five items , Levers , co2 , bank card and new addition , Carrier Pigeon for getting help (although the pigeon loft will take some strapping to the back of the bike)

Top Bottom