Long Covid......anyone else suffering ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I got it 2 1/2 years ago before it was widely recognised.
I have most of the classic symtoms eg....
• extreme fatigue. Some days I sleep up to 20 hours.
• taste buds totally knackered. I used to enjoy a few beers while watching footy......can just about get a 1/2 down.
•loss of balance.....can't cycle and often struggle walking even around the house.

Been in hospital several times. Had numerous blood tests and several scans. Basically the NHS can't help. My GP said sorry but we don't understand Covid/long covid yet.

Tenkaykev

Guru
• taste buds totally knackered. I used to enjoy a few beers while watching footy......can just about get a 1/2 down.
•loss of balance.....can't cycle and often struggle walking even around the house.

Been in hospital several times. Had numerous blood tests and several scans. Basically the NHS can't help. My GP said sorry but we don't understand Covid/long covid yet.

Sorry to hear that Dave, did they tell you your Haemoglobin levels?
( I was diagnosed with a different condition, similarity of some symptoms, it was the Hg levels that gave them the clue)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear that Dave, did they tell you your Haemoglobin levels?
( I was diagnosed with a different condition, similarity of some symptoms, it was the Hg levels that gave them the clue)

Can't recall it all but I had 4 blood tests.
After the 3rd one the gp decided I had liver problems so off for another scan I went (crapping myself cos of what they would find) ........came back clear.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Sorry to hear that Dave.

Our son, late twenties and previously fit and well, is still not 100% two years after getting a mild dose of covid. He had to sell his home and move back with us because he wasn't well enough to work.

He is improving, and has been working part time for the last six months.

Best wishes.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yep. I've been struggling to do any cardio since february, weight lifting doesn't fare much better and actually recovering from exercise takes multiple days.

The fatigue and occasional dizzy/drunk feeling I had has mostly disappeared

Cambram

When we first started hearing of problems in Wuhan I was on my usual Tesco run when I saw this smartly dressed Chinese looking guy, possibly an airline crew member from MIA having a look around (no trolley). As he got near he sneezed and coughed and I walked through the aerosol. Four days later I had to stay in bed for another four days - sore throat, feeling lousy - quite unusual. Then had all the jabs but still felt under the weather. Gradually got worse and at the beginning of this year things really kicked off. Muscle aches, fatigue, wanted to sleep at any time, shortness of breath, had to drag myself up and down stairs, couldn't smell, food tasted horrible so much that I couldn't face eating it. I lost about two stone in a couple of weeks. Went to the Docs, who did the usual blood tests, and said that I had prostate problems - already known but introduced yet more worry. Then taste and smell got better and I have recovered most of the weight that I lost as my appetite returned. Feel very well now.

Docs don't know if it is long covid but could be.

Stick with it. It may suddenly start to get better. As my wife said, a lot of people didn't get over it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

I was an early Covid victim, weeks before the first lockdown. I seemed to be recovering quickly at the very beginning but the fatigue and taste loss persisted. For a while, the only thing I could taste properly was orange juice but taste did come back slowly. The fatigue, however, is still here, though now not severely incapacitating. I've grown to think of it as being my ''usual'' self as I've revised down what I'm capable of. Which is not a lot: after a 2 mile walk to the local Decathlon yesterday, I ended up taking public transport home because I was getting wobbly and had had to sit down after every few hundred steps.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was an early Covid victim, weeks before the first lockdown. I seemed to be recovering quickly at the very beginning but the fatigue and taste loss persisted. For a while, the only thing I could taste properly was orange juice but taste did come back slowly. The fatigue, however, is still here, though now not severely incapacitating. I've grown to think of it as being my ''usual'' self as I've revised down what I'm capable of. Which is not a lot: after a 2 mile walk to the local Decathlon yesterday, I ended up taking public transport home because I was getting wobbly and had had to sit down after every few hundred steps.

Yes!!! I thought I was over it then it came back with a vengeance.
Yesterday was really bad eg my brother took me to a shop and I didn't have the strength to get out of the car....he had to help me.
I feel much better today and am about to try a short stroll.

Wow, @Dave7 did not realise it was that bad. Sorry mate. I heard stories but took it as few and far between. I wonder if the first batch of infection was more damaging. I have relatives in OZ and they told me long covid was uncommon.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Dave7 I can't help practically as I've no experience but I do have a friend with Long Covid, he describes most of the symptoms you mention.

My friend recovered from ME perhaps 20 years ago or more. He tells me long covid feels much like ME. He commented just this morning on how tired he felt and remarked to the effect "I was stupid. I did too much yesterday and it's my own fault, I've had ME and know what to do."

The conversation continued and his view is to recover from long Covid he must act in the way he did with ME. Basically this was to take every day very carefully and not to use the good days to do more, no exertion. Take every day gently, rest after everything and avoid any over exertion no matter how good one may feel.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Wow, @Dave7 did not realise it was that bad. Sorry mate. I heard stories but took it as few and far between. I wonder if the first batch of infection was more damaging. I have relatives in OZ and they told me long covid was uncommon.

I read yesterday that "they" reckon there could be 2 million cases. OK, lots will be mild while sadly some are terminal.
I feel fortunate but some days I get angry at what has happened to me (unreasonable but thats how I feel).

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Dave7 I can't help practically as I've no experience but I do have a friend with Long Covid, he describes most of the symptoms you mention.

My friend recovered from ME perhaps 20 years ago or more. He tells me long covid feels much like ME. He commented just this morning on how tired he felt and remarked to the effect "I was stupid. I did too much yesterday and it's my own fault, I've had ME and know what to do."

The conversation continued and his view is to recover from long Covid he must act in the way he did with ME. Basically this was to take every day very carefully and not to use the good days to do more, no exertion. Take every day gently, rest after everything and avoid any over exertion no matter how good one may feel.

Good advice that. I have come to accept what it is and work around it.
As I said, yesterday was a bad but for some strange reason today is better and I have just managed a stroll......less than a mile but acceptable.
Also important is to keep a sense of humour (when possible).

Top Bottom