Long UK climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
ok thanks for all these posts! wasn't expecting so many lol. I will have to go through them all and see what is what. thanks again

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Bealach na Ba, always the option of both ways, and Gospel Pass, also both ways. Shap is long but not as interesting

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Definitely Bealach na Ba (the "Pass of the Cattle" on the Applecross Peninsula in Scotland). Comparable to any of the alpine climbs I have done, and officially the biggest continuous climb in the UK, rising from sea level to 616m in one go. It does have a short section of about 25% just before the hairpins start near the top, but fantastic sea views and epic mountain scenery. A real sense of achievement to be derived, followed by a great long descent down in to Applecross ... and a choice of a straight retrace or a loop back along the coast road. I have read, though, that it is brutal in bad weather.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Even a windy (or wet) day can be hellish up there though, Colin. I dipped out the first time I was due to do it because I didn't trust my rim brakes in the wet coming back down. When I finally managed it in fine weather, I was certainly glad there was no headwind spilling down the valley.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I also live near to Cragg Vale. It's the longest continuous climb in England and a nice one too, quite scenic finishing on open moorland. I haven't had a proper speed go at it for quite a while but it's a great training hill.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I also live near to Cragg Vale. It's the longest continuous climb in England and a nice one too, quite scenic finishing on open moorland. I haven't had a proper speed go at it for quite a while but it's a great training hill.
I would be interested to hear what you can do! I reckon that you would beat my 20 minute target (assuming no unfavourable cross/headwind up on the moor), but by how much? :whistle:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I would be interested to hear what you can do! I reckon that you would beat my 20 minute target (assuming no unfavourable cross/headwind up on the moor), but by how much? :whistle:
I'm so bad at approximating times and guessing how long something has taken that I have no idea how long it should take to get up there! I'm mostly doing running at the moment and commuting by bike, but throwing in some more bike rides too now, and trying to do shorter faster things, so I'll definitely have a bash soon.

Fiona R

Even a windy (or wet) day can be hellish up there though, Colin. I dipped out the first time I was due to do it because I didn't trust my rim brakes in the wet coming back down. When I finally managed it in fine weather, I was certainly glad there was no headwind spilling down the valley.
Was revolting the July day we did it in 2016. 8 degrees, cloud down to road, pouring and quite windy. Hardest bit descending to Strathcarron on rim brakes. Replaced the brake blocks that night.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Was revolting the July day we did it in 2016. 8 degrees, cloud down to road, pouring and quite windy. Hardest bit descending to Strathcarron on rim brakes. Replaced the brake blocks that night.

I imagine coming down the hairpins on wet blocks with that huge rim ahead down below took some courage. Always looks as if you'd disappear over the edge into a massive natural bowl. At over 20 stone in weight, I was NEVER going to descend it in the wet!
56.jpg

Fiona R

I imagine coming down the hairpins on wet blocks with that huge rim ahead down below took some courage. Always looks as if you'd disappear over the edge into a massive natural bowl. At over 20 stone in weight, I was NEVER going to descend it in the wet!
View attachment 489866
Oh, that's the view? I only know from other's pics and videos etc Unfinished business as haven't done it from Strathcarron side, yet.

Top Bottom