Longest cycle tunnel in world opens next month

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That's one way of putting it. Another explanation is that the journalist who wrote the article was too lazy/stupid to do a conversion so that it made sense to his readers.

True, but many tunnels really are just expressed in yards anyway, certainly in railway circles.
To be fair, it does seem a bit of a specific measurement to give, so does the Journalist have any previous railway experience, or were they just trying to sound knowledgeable? 🤔

Besides, if you couldn't be arsed either, then... Well... 😆 🤷

Last edited:
this is great!

Gwylan

Veteran
That's effectively what the Norway one is that started the thread, built as the evacuation tunnel but duels as a bike / pedestrian route.

There wouldn't appear to be any reason why the chunnel couldn't do the same, it would at least end small boat crossings in a instant :okay:

Push up the price of bicycles too.

Fastpedaller

When the tall ship were in London (I believe it was the last occasion due to the Thames barrier construction) I cycled from the Essex side to the Kent side of the Thames via the Blackwall Tunnel - An exhilarating experience, and my average speed was huge during the time in the tunnel. I think I was the only vehicle in there, it may not have been a good idea if there was a lot of traffic!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When the tall ship were in London (I believe it was the last occasion due to the Thames barrier construction) I cycled from the Essex side to the Kent side of the Thames via the Blackwall Tunnel - An exhilarating experience, and my average speed was huge during the time in the tunnel. I think I was the only vehicle in there, it may not have been a good idea if there was a lot of traffic!

You can cycle through the Rotherhithe Tunnel, and/or walk if you really want to.
I've done it with the Fridays (at 1am-ish so very quiet)
It's horrible and stinky.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
You can cycle through the Rotherhithe Tunnel, and/or walk if you really want to.
I've done it with the Fridays (at 1am-ish so very quiet)
It's horrible and stinky.
Rotherhithe tunnel would be a tick a box - I love an unusual cycling route. I see it's 19 (US) football fields long!

I cycled through the closed Blackwall tunnel on my way to RIdeLondon in 2016. Also very stinky, god knows what I was inhaling.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
What's wrong with yards? We still use miles and yards on road signs, so they're not exactly unfamiliar. Virtually no-one in the UK uses kilometres except audaxers.

Top Bottom