Longest distance in one day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
60 odd on my Penny:biggrin:

120 on my tourng bike

bennyboy

Did my first 100+ a couple of weeks ago (116 ml) to see how feasable 150 a day will be when I do LeJog next year. I found it mentally harder than anything just cause of the number of hours in the saddle and didnt know the route at all. Great way to surprise friends who are expecting you to turn up in a car though! :angry:

Tynan

Veteran
as Will, 160 miles overnight on the Dun this year, home to Hackney, Dun Run and then on to Ipswitch station, I was a wreck on arrival at Dunwich but an hour off having breakfast and I felt almost A1 again, had no reaction at all the day after, all very mysterious

it was a long way and there were some grim stretches in the wee hours riding solo

bennyboy said:
Did my first 100+ a couple of weeks ago (116 ml) to see how feasable 150 a day will be when I do LeJog next year. I found it mentally harder than anything just cause of the number of hours in the saddle and didnt know the route at all. Great way to surprise friends who are expecting you to turn up in a car though! ;)

Most I have done is 100miles (Norwich last year). Working up to Lejog but starting with London - Paris (should be 3 x 75 miles).

Having done 100 I can just about see it possible to do 150 in a day. BUT problem is you are then getting back on the bike the next day and doing it again (x6 days).
Looking at the London - Paris training we were thinking of doing it in pairs of rides - say 40 on a Saturday and then another 40 on sunday and building up that way. I think it is the getting back on that will be an issue to overcome.

ASC1951

Guru
Longest for me are a rolling 170 miles on my Fixed and a 200 miler on gears a few summers ago, but OverTheHill is right about the real test being getting back in the saddle. I did 128, 106 and 101 on consecutive days in the Algarve in May 2006, just to see if I could - I could, but for me I'm sure it's a once in a lifetime experience. I hope so, anyway.

fenman

Over The Hill said:
Most I have done is 100miles (Norwich last year). Working up to Lejog but starting with London - Paris (should be 3 x 75 miles).

Having done 100 I can just about see it possible to do 150 in a day. BUT problem is you are then getting back on the bike the next day and doing it again (x6 days).
Looking at the London - Paris training we were thinking of doing it in pairs of rides - say 40 on a Saturday and then another 40 on sunday and building up that way. I think it is the getting back on that will be an issue to overcome.
did lejog in 10 days average 104 miles per day went out to ardnamurchin point which is furthest west point in GB intended to do futhest east but was a bit damp by jog

Tynan

Veteran
'245 miles in 12hrs'

really? 12 hours at an average of over 20mph?

Peter

125 miles - the Highclere sportive around the Hampshire/Wiltshire area. That was 2 years ago. Wimped out last year - 75 miler instead.

ASC1951

Guru
fenman said:
245 miles in 12hrs in northants &dist 12hr event went off malt bread for weeks after that !!
That's only 18% outside world record time, isn't it?

Are you one of these people who turn up on club runs and will only admit to 'having done a bit of time trialling'? I'm getting better at spotting them these days. It's not just the 85" gear and thighs like jodhpurs.

tejvancycling

Records in UK

The 12 hour Record for men is 300.27 Andy Wilkinson - 1996 National Championships.

The 12 hour female record is still held by Beryl Burton form 1967 (pre tribars, skinsuits e.t.c). At the time Beryl Burton's distance was further than the men's record.

More UK time trial records

Top Bottom