Longest distance in one day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
120 miles commute to the office - Chandlers Ford to Swindon. Left 4.45 am, 60 miles there, arriving about 9.15 . Left about 3.45, got home 9.30pm. It is a very hilly up and down route with rain and strong headwind on the way back. Two small panniers with laptop and clothes. But I raised £750 for the NSPCC

Some shorter journeys were as tough. 100km in NZ along massive steep rolling hills with 4 panniers inc camping kit. That was hard. Another day there was dead flat for 100km but a very strong headwind

If you did 73 you will be able to do 100.....

117 miles. I did the Manchester 100 earlier this year. I was so tired after the finish that, having recently moved house, I headed for the house where I used to live by mistake.
I was half way to Oldham before I realised.

gavintc

Guru
Tour of Flanders this year - 280 km. It included a fair amount of cobbled sections. It took us 11 hours and we then went on the piss when we got back to Bruges getting to bed at around 1 am. What a day that was.

bagpuss

Guru
Done a couple of 400k Audax events within 24 hrs. All good fun at the time.Not fit enough at the moment to do it again.Oh well its only a bike ride.

a_n_t

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7044786

114 miles, 9500ft of climbing. Wasn't too bad!

jay clock

Massive member
Yes, that's true. I did my first 200k Audax on the back of a reasonably regular 23 mile each way commute. There again, I was in my twenties then ... you can do anything when you're in your twenties.:girl:

When I started commuting in my 20s, doing a 10 mile round trip (which I thought was tons) I did L2B one Saturday afternoon (which I thought was undoable) and managed it with amazing easy. Commuting is excellent training

Randochap

Senior hunter
250 miles is usually my "long day" -- that is, within 24 hours. I usually complete that in around 20 hours for a 400k brevet.

Can also count that as the first day of a 600km brevet, where I usually do the 400k (250mi), grab a couple hours sleep, then get up and polish off the last 200k (124mi).

I have a description of what it's like for me to do that here:

400 kilometre brevet

600 kilometre brevet

P.S. I'm riding better at these distances than I did in my twenties. Less brain cells to complain.:girl:

rovers69

I did 180 miles in one day many years ago. heavy touring bike, saddle bag etc.....Just did it one sunday as a longer than usual club run. Started early finished late. Wirral into southern Shropshire.
I think that there is aload of guff talked and written about distances, whether or not people can manage this distance or that. If you can do 50 miles (most people) you can do 100 if you put the miles in. If you can do 100 you can probably do 120 etc.......people think too much and worry too much. I didn't have clipless pedals, my bike wasn't butted tubing and I didn't possess a turbo trainer. I had juice in my water bottle and butties in my saddle bag......rant, rant. Had a grotty day in the office.
All true tho'

Will1985

Über Member
tundragumski said:
Oh yeah, I've done the Norwich 100 (miles) for the last 2 years - it's a long way!

You did this? The hard part was the "climb" at 50 miles from West Runton to Felbrigg. This year, the return 50 was a 3-up all the way with forum members.

Bodhbh

Guru
115miles most here, with 4-5 other runs over 100. All done touring although. Would like to at least try a 150+ ride in one day sometime, but not sure really cut out for it, seems a different kettle of fish at that point.

col

Legendary Member
Did 120 plus,long time ago ,went to the windermere boat museum from home,then got lost in kendal and gave up on the brough road,this was on a bike that would have probably been classed as an argos special,but seemd to work back then.

Top Bottom