Looking at buying an Ice Sprint, have some questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
Are they easy/quick to fold?

If you're touring with panniers and a rack can the trike fold with the rack still on? Just thinking if I needed to get a train somewhere.

Can they get through some/most/none of the barriers that you sometimes see on cycle paths? The motorcycle preventing ones where you have to turn one way and then the other?

What panniers are good for touring? Do I need recumbent specific ones? I've got some Ortelieb rollers already and it would be a shame to not be able to use them.

Should I get a neck rest?

Do I need a parking brake?

Any advantages of an Adventure over a Sprint? I haven't actually tried either yet so really need to test ride them. Will ring dtek tomorrow and see if they're open on Saturday.

Thanks.

lazytyke

Guru
Hi Binka - I bought a Sprint last year - in answer to your questions

Are they easy/quick to fold? - relatively yep. You have to unscrew a couple of knobs under the seat, and open a quick release that gets the seat off, then just fold down handlebars and unod another quick release. I'd say 5 mins tops

If you're touring with panniers and a rack can the trike fold with the rack still on? Just thinking if I needed to get a train somewhere.
Yep - but from memory it folds flatter with it off

Can they get through some/most/none of the barriers that you sometimes see on cycle paths? The motorcycle preventing ones where you have to turn one way and then the other?
most but not all - if you have mirrors on it can be a pain

What panniers are good for touring? Do I need recumbent specific ones? I've got some Ortelieb rollers already and it would be a shame to not be able to use them.

I've not been touring, but had some Altura panniers which fitted just fine. To be honest I ditched the rack and now use some Radicla bags which are great

Should I get a neck rest? - yes, you may not use it all the time, but it adds to the comfort

Do I need a parking brake? - I don't find the parking brake that efficient, it won't hold you on a big hill - but incredibly useful when you are getting onto the trike ! on balance I'd have one

Any advantages of an Adventure over a Sprint? I haven't actually tried either yet so really need to test ride them. Will ring dtek tomorrow and see if they're open on Saturday. I only did a brief test ride on adventure - others can probably add more comments, but i think they are more upright with possibly more ground clearance - kevin at D Tek can give you chapter and verse

Thanks.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Thanks Teamonster, that's really helpful.

How long did it take you to get used to riding a recumbent?

Also do I need to go for options like the Ice computer fixing or is it possible to just fix a bike computer as normal? Say on a mirror stem?

The radical design bags look great, but pricey. I read on a blog (I think Aunty Helen's) that she tried some and had some reservations. Main one been the lack of waterproofness, but I see you can buy liners. Also she got some small holes in hers after the first use.

lazytyke

Guru
It took me a few months of riding - still after a year I feel I'm still getting stronger. But for me it was as much mental as physical, they are great fun but different. I used to shoot up hills on my DF, now I take them sedately and don't care. That's not to say they are slow up hills, I still beat some club riders I rude with. The thing is the trike encourages a more relaxed approach to cycling, it took me a while to make the change and chill out a bit. You do need to persevere with the trike though, it may feel like you are cycling through treacle at first and you'll get aches in odd places, but body and mind adjust ! The reward is worth it in the end.

I had the computer mount to start of with, it's OK but not in the best place. You could mount a computer on the mirror stem, but you'll find that's much better used for resting your hands on. I bought a mount from a Dutch firm, its basically a bracket which fixes onto where the mudguards mount, there's a cylinder comes off the bracket which you can then mount computer to. It's much better as its more in your eye line.

Radical bags aren't waterproof, if you are using the rack then stick with your normal panniers. Otherwise, dry bags or bin liners inside the radicals for really wet days . My radicals are a year old and in god nick,but as you say I think Auntie Helen had issues, I think that must be a one off though . They are pretty robust.

lazytyke

Guru
[quote="teamonster, post: 2597119, member: I bought a mount from a Dutch firm, its basically a bracket which fixes onto where the mudguards mount, there's a cylinder comes off the bracket which you can then mount computer to. It's much better as its more in your eye [/quote]

http://www.recumbentparts.com/cat/1/3/0/0/accessories.html

Here you go link to the company - you need bith cylinder and bracket. It doesn't work if you're using quick release mudguards, but I've taken my QRs off.

byegad

Legendary Member
Sprint is more stable and aerodynamic, the anti-motorcycle on my local NCN1 mean lifting the trike and sometimes WILL stop you from getting through.Headrests are great for slow climbing and taking a nap, but will vibrate your head to the point where you have blurred vision at any speed, and a parking brake is useful not only for getting on and off but stopping the trike blow away on a windy day.

jayjay

Veteran
Adventure will fit through most of the path traps around Hull. just have to watch out for the flag, and check the mirrors. Keyhole or zigzag types.
Parking brake of some sort essential, unless you like chasing riderless trikes down the street.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Re the parkingbrake...I had one on my old Trice, and thought it was an essential bit of kit (never used it as a 'drag' brake, but it's supposed to come in handy on long descents).

BUT My Catrike 700 doesn't have a rear brake, and I don't miss it at all as I just keep a bit of old innertube wrapped around the grips to hook over the brake lever/s. If I were to buy a new Trike (perish the thought!) I wouldn't pay extra for it for sure.

Headrest? I have one on the Catrike, but could live without it.

Ortliebs rule (see them on my pic) and they're all you need really for touring. I do have 2x25 litre bags that slip over the seat which I use for the daily commute. I prefer them to the panniers as they're better for aero-dynamics, and give the trike a less cluttered look.

I can get the (800mm) wide Catrike though/under most barriers.....but not all!

starhawk

Wondering about all this talk about parkingbrake, the Trice is delivered standard with this Velcro strip you use on the brake levers, works very well, I have also bought BikeBrake basically a thick rubberband originally meant for DF but works very well for trikes too. So I see no need for a separate parkingbrake.
A neckrest is good to have but ICE original neckrest is crap, I bought one from KrispySteve and it can be adjusted to any angle/height you want. Byegads complaint that it gives you blurred vision on all but smooth tarmac is only true if you use it all the time and that is probably not the case

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, I have one on the QNT, for sleeping or plodding up hill. I was pointing out that you can't use it at speed. My other two trikes don't have one, it is that useful!

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Well I've been for a test ride today and preferred the Sprint over the adventure.

Neither model had a neck rest attached but I didn't feel like I was needing one. Kevin at dtek said that a parking brake was quite important but I like the idea of saving some money by using velcro.

byegad

Legendary Member
Velcro works, but is fiddly and a separate rear brake with lock on (I use a seven speed rear shifter on an AVID BB5 on the QNT.) is easier. Your choice, neither is 'wrong'.

starhawk

Velcro works, but is fiddly and a separate rear brake with lock on (I use a seven speed rear shifter on an AVID BB5 on the QNT.) is easier. Your choice, neither is 'wrong'.

The "easier" was the reason I was thinking of getting one but now I have the Hub motor at the back and I don't think I can get a disc brake on that wheel, Anyway why get a third brake when the trike stops at a dime with the two brakes I already have?

Top Bottom