Looking at buying an Ice Sprint, have some questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'd suggest that you're right Starhawk in that you can press more than your weight on a bent, but if you do so on a regular basis your knees will suffer in the long run. I have an Arthritic knee, not due to riding recumbents as it was going that way before I bought my first back in 2005, and I find spinning rather than mashing, where available gears make that possible, is not only nearly as fast, but much kinder to my knee.

I only mash on hills where I've got down into bottom gear, variously 12", 14" or 15" depending on the trike, and cannot maintain a spin, then I only mash for as short a time as I can, so if a hill eases I remain in bottom gear and pick up cadence, to save my knee. Bents are a bit slower up hills, for most people, and it's down to extra weight of the bent over a DF more than any inherent 'disadvantage' of the riding position. After all Bent riding positions are far more varied than DF ones.

I did take a while to recondition my legs for bent's and it was the top of my thighs, as seated on the bent that ached for a hundred miles or so after every ride. After that it took me about 1000 miles to be as fast on my heavy AZUB-4 as on my lighter, but no light weight, Thorn Club Tour. I was in my mid 50s when I converted to bents and rode both DFs and bents for two and a half years before ditching DFs altogether. Had I converted in my mid 20s I would no doubt have noticed the difference, which I put down to using slightly different muscle groups, less or not at all.

Would I go back to a DF? No chance!

starhawk

Yes I know that mashing that way is not good for your knees but only if you do it on a regular basis, but I dont do that on a regular basis but when you find yourself in a steep hill and haven't for various reasons the right gear in then that power is good to have. But it was only after I changed from SPD to Terra Trikes Heel Support Pedals that I could access that power, my legs refused to press that hard when the foot was only supported under the toes.
I had no problem with the conversion from DF to trike, and I was faster on the trike then on the DF (except in the uphills) so either I already had "bent legs" or there is no recondition.
"Would I go back to a DF? No chance!" Couldn't agree more:excl: :thumbsup:

byegad

Legendary Member
Starhawk from your photo you are also several decades younger than I was when I first bought a recumbent. THAT is the difference in time to condition your bent legs.

Top Bottom