Looking at buying an Ice Sprint, have some questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem with trikes is that if left unattended they roll down any incline

You get round this either by toeing the wheels into the kerb, or buying cheap velcro cinch straps that nold the front brakes on
Cinch_Strap_color.jpg

byegad

Legendary Member
I've lost count of how many straps I've lost during a ride. They catch your clothing, get undone and sneak away when you're not looking. :banghead:

starhawk

I've lost count of how many straps I've lost during a ride. They catch your clothing, get undone and sneak away when you're not looking. :banghead:

Do you have a problem getting new ones? In my case I have exactly the same straps that came with the trike when I bought it. I followed ICE advise of how to store them when not in use

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Well decided I couldn't run to a new one but I've managed to get a nearly new one from laid back bikes. Should be here next week. So excited.

lazytyke

Guru
Well done - hope you enjoy it. Once you get used to them they are such fun - just remember though, you'll be a local celebrity now, be prepared for people taking lots of photos. I don't know what it's like in Lincoln, but riding one in London is like having an invisible force field around you that repels all cars, they give you such a wide berth and seem almost afraid to overtake. Even white van man tends to behave !

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Recumbents of any shape or form are not for the shy :blush:, retiring, 'don't notice me' types :laugh: .....

I have a 2-wheeled Nazca Fuego and the comments are usually - 'cool bike', 'I like your bike', 'that's so ..... ' - at which point I have been known to say "COOL is the word you are looking for !" :laugh:

When I get on my upwrong and ride the same routes, I become 'The Anonymous Cyclist" once again ! :huh:

Hope you have many happy miles with your ICE. :thumbsup:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The issue Byegad describes with the neck-rest makes me suspect he is using is as a head-rest rather than a neck-rest. I never had that issue, using it all the time at speeds of up to 54mph. However, the standard neck-rest isn't as comfortable as it could be, so personally I had a leatherwork friend make a new one (using the ICE framework):

trikemods-8.jpg

It's now really comfy. :-)

byegad

Legendary Member
No it's a neck rest and as you mention yours, I'll mention mine, it's the standard ICE item. Set to avoid contacting a helmet, should I ever wear one on the trike and very comfortable for sleeping and plodding at 2 or 3 mph up hill. But useless on tar and chippings roads at any kind of speed. My head jiggles, my varifocals jiggle and I can't see a damn thing!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Weird - I've never experienced any vibration issues with mine at any speed, before or after the modification. I wonder what the difference is?

byegad

Legendary Member
Don't know what the difference is, if you wear prescription varifocals too there is none, except tyres, pressure and road surface. I can ride on silky smooth tarmac with my neck on the rest, but any kind of lump or bump affects my vision.

Top Bottom