Looking for a computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

Since owning my bike I have been using my Android phone and Strava, seems to do well, and so far not a great impact on battery life ..

At the moment I am doing about 20 miles over Saturday and Sunday morning so not a major cyclist as yet but will get better and longer rides in...

I have been looking at computers, and looked at Wahoo, in particular the kits they do, that way I get the stuff I may need... What would you experts recommend?

STuart

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you need a computer if your phone does what you need?

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Just though I could get more idea on speed, distance and my performance right in front of me... Suppose I could use a holder for my phone rather than my pocket..

vickster

Legendary Member
Just though I could get more idea on speed, distance and my performance right in front of me... Suppose I could use a holder for my phone rather than my pocket..
Indeed. I wouldn't carry a phone in a pocket in case of spillage

But if money is burning a hole, wahoo will do that (not sure what else you mean by performance though)

si_c

Guru
Lots of "depends" in a full answer, but the short answer is that you don't "need" a computer, but it can make life easier, and I'm a big fan of having one tool for each job that does it well, rather than one which does all jobs but with some compromises.

You need to identify what it is that you want from a computer - are you after performance metrics - heart rate etc? Are you wanting help with navigation? Do you want to ride further and/or for longer? The answers to those questions will help you get the computer for you or make you feel better about not getting one.

Syd

Wahoo is the best but no point spending unless you’re serious enough to use it.
I would debate that point on a number of factors but no point in derailing the OP’s thread.

OP There are a number of options depending what you want to measure and what you’re budget is. For example the Garmin Edge 25 can be bought for under £80.00

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Most of my bikes have an old skool cateye wireless computer that simply records ride distance, ave speed, ride time, max speed and displays current speed. Also an odometer to keep track of total distance covered.
These are great because they are tiny and always there ready to go when needed without worries about battery life or signal reception. They are also cheap.
I do have a garmin for rides that need navigation but the one bike that doesn't have a computer sometimes gets used without anything and i simply look up the distance when i get home.
No need to know performance facts and figures to tell you if you enjoyed a ride :okay:

tom73

Guru
For me I just don't like the idea of mounting my iPhone onto my bike you only need something to fly up and hit it or some how it fall's off. So for me it stay's in my rear pocket. I know it won't fall out and less risk of damage. Currently I use my Apple watch to record my rides and on the whole it provides me with the basic info of my ride.

@I like Skol is right most can do with out one or have a simple basic one and it's so true you just know if you enjoyed the ride.

i'm looking at getting one too for me Wahoo and the bundles look to be the best bet. They just work out the box which once you get use to the idea you don't want to go back to having to set stuff up. Most who have one look more than happy with them. Having used Garmin GPS I just don't like them.

So why get one if your phone records most things? Well if you have money and you feel you need one why not ? Battery life is good no need to wonder if your phone battery will last the ride having GPS for longer rides on a new route is never a bad thing just like you I am looking at longer ride's which will mean going out past my local knowledge. Having more/better data of your ride maybe mostly not really needed but look if it mean's you can see your improving and if nothing else make's you feel good and keep's you smiling all the way home then go for it. You can see just how high was that hill i've just climbed. If it help's set your own personal goal's, flag's up your own personal achievement's are real and not just you thinking your getting better. Feeling good about yourself is priceless in my book. So if you feel it's the way for you then go for it.

Sometimes you will just want to go off and ride not caring how fast or short the ride was. But sometimes it's good to ride with a few goal's and see you've achieve something or improve something for me it keep's that edge and freshness to thing's I like setting goal's and knowing i've done something. Both type's of ride are fine in my book and you can have both.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate them...

I have always believed in getting the best I can afford, there may be a few, if not many features that I will not use, YET! but they will be ready when I do :smile:

I am after something that shows, to start, distance, speed, ride time, and an odometer to keep track of total distance I have covered on the bike, maybe cadence as well... :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member

I have always believed in getting the best I can afford, there may be a few, if not many features that I will not use, YET! but they will be ready when I do :smile:

I am after something that shows, to start, distance, speed, ride time, and an odometer to keep track of total distance I have covered on the bike, maybe cadence as well... :smile:

Not sure Wahoo does total but strava does

You’ll need to get cadence package (never seen the point myself, ny legs turn as they turn, my knees don’t like spinning more)

Comes down to the size of unit preferred (I have the bigger Elemnt, I’m as yet unconvinced by it except it uploads directly to strava unlike my old 800)

tom73

Guru

My thinking too

can't see why Wahoo cant give you totals

I find that the Velo Cateye does all of what you mention except cadence. In addition to what you list there, it also provides average speed, and normal clock. The latest one I got for my second bike also shows calories burnt (which is of no interest at all to me, but may interest you). For around £25 you cannot go wrong. A 2032 button battery in both parts of the device lasts me about 9 months or 1000 miles I find.

Top Bottom