Looking for a cross bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My second thread - slightly different theme.

I am thinking about using a bike to commute to work (about 14 miles) a couple of sdays a week. Its a long climb on the way home and I may decide to dive off-road on to some forest paths.

Therefore whilst I was originally thinking of a hybrid, I now think a cross bike is probably more what I am looking for.......but there is such a wide choice it is beginning to make my head spin.

Because of the climb the bike has to be light and I am willing to spend up to 1,000 for the right machine.

Any advice?

I already have two road bikes and two mountainbikes but none seem to fit my bill (in any evcent a good excuse to buy a new bike!)

Norm

Hey, Cap. Once you've sorted the Mysterons, have a look at this thread. Especially my posts. :becool: Bear in mind GrasB's comment on page 3, though. I have a Tricross and I use it for the sort of ride I've linked to there, but other bikes are available which will do the same thing.

But still, my advice would be a Specialized Tricross Sport. :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I like the look of the Genesis offerings, possibly not the lightest but plenty versatile. Both the Vapour and the Croix De Fer come within your budget.

Stephenite

Membå
I like my Kona Jake the snake a lot.

edit: But there are a lot of good ones out there. I plumped for this because you can fix a rack, and i loved the colour of the 2009 model.

There's a Dolan for sale in the... erm.. for sale section

OP
OP
C

Cap_Scarlet

Veteran
Thanks for the replies so far.

To be honest I was thinking more in the direction of an upright cross i.e. something like a Felt QX100.

Any thoughts?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I was looking a cross bikes a couple of months back, I was not impressed by the Specialized Tricross and have heard bad things about it from others. The bike which do look good are the Genesis Croix De Fer and the Ridley Crossbow, my current preference is towards the Ridley...

Haven't had a chance to ride either yet, a test ride is the best way of finding if the bike is right for you.

Gary D

Cap_Scarlet said:
Thanks for the replies so far.

To be honest I was thinking more in the direction of an upright cross i.e. something like a Felt QX100.

Any thoughts?

That's not a Cross Bike - it is a Hybrid :wacko: :smile:

I can't figure out why you would be considering one though if you already have 2 mountain bikes??
If that is the sort of thing you want, why not just put narrower slick tyres on one of your MTB's? (I am making the assumption though that at least one of them is not a full susser :blush: )

Suspension is totally unnecessary on a road bike and will actually make climbing hills harder. A Cyclo Cross bike will typically have drop handlebars, no suspension and will look at first glance like a road bike. However, they usually have canti-lever brakes, or occasionally disks, but have much more clearance around the forks and stays for mud clearance and to allow wider tyres to be fitted. Some of them also have mudguard eyes and rack fixing points as well (although one of the purists will be along in a minute to say they shouldn't - not even bottle cage mounting bosses etc etc. ;) ).

I can only speak for the Tricross as I have one - but it is versatile and will do everything you want it to do. Mine is currently in "Winter Bike" mode with full mudguards and 25 wide Gatorskins on. It has also done 2 seasons of cyclo cross racing with all the extras stripped off and Michelin Mud 2 tyres on. It copes OK with both scenarios. It probably is a bit of a Jack of all trades - master of none, but it suits me :smile:

Good luck!
Gary.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Vapour is superb, pals just got one, builds into a good commuter with guards and a rack. Light and spirited, I can't think of a better all-round commuting iron, for some rough stuff too. Perfect.
Some good reviews recently too. Look on the Genesis website.

OP
OP
C

Cap_Scarlet

Veteran
Gary D said:
That's not a Cross Bike - it is a Hybrid B) :tongue:

I can't figure out why you would be considering one though if you already have 2 mountain bikes??
If that is the sort of thing you want, why not just put narrower slick tyres on one of your MTB's? (I am making the assumption though that at least one of them is not a full susser :laugh: )

Suspension is totally unnecessary on a road bike and will actually make climbing hills harder. A Cyclo Cross bike will typically have drop handlebars, no suspension and will look at first glance like a road bike. However, they usually have canti-lever brakes, or occasionally disks, but have much more clearance around the forks and stays for mud clearance and to allow wider tyres to be fitted. Some of them also have mudguard eyes and rack fixing points as well (although one of the purists will be along in a minute to say they shouldn't - not even bottle cage mounting bosses etc etc. :biggrin: ).

I can only speak for the Tricross as I have one - but it is versatile and will do everything you want it to do. Mine is currently in "Winter Bike" mode with full mudguards and 25 wide Gatorskins on. It has also done 2 seasons of cyclo cross racing with all the extras stripped off and Michelin Mud 2 tyres on. It copes OK with both scenarios. It probably is a bit of a Jack of all trades - master of none, but it suits me :smile:

Good luck!
Gary.

Thanks Gary

To be honest I always believed that was the distinction (Hybrid v Cross) but I see a lot of manufacturers offering Hybrids as meaning a city / recreation bike whereas my need is leaning more towards the off road.

Actually I am thinking of trying one of the MTB's first to see if I can cope with the daily ride (14 miles each way). Its a pretty light (10,4 kg) hardtail. If that works out I might buy a commuting bike specifically.

I had never really considered a cross bike but I might have to take one for a test.

Thanks for the advice

Top Bottom