Looking for a trike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If this is in the wrong area, feel free to move it. I'm still working the forum out.
I'm looking for a Catrike 700 or Expedition, preferably fairly new. Not bothered about extras, until I've got used to triking.

Encephrich

Have you tried ebay, some come up there from time to time. :welcome:
Alternatively have a look and try some different Trikes, important to get the right Trike for you. It's an individual thing. :okay:

OP
OP
A

Angliaboffin

Regular
Thanks for the reply.
I'm searching eBay all the time now, but keep getting outbid at the last minute.
I've had a couple of test rides, which convinced me that I definitely want a tadpole, and I love how the catrikes look.
Its very difficult to find anywhere to test ride trikes, as I don't know anyone who owns one. Also, there is only one dealer reasonably close (30 miles) and they mainly cater for disabled people, so don't have much suitable stock.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
If this is in the wrong area, feel free to move it. I'm still working the forum out.
I'm looking for a Catrike 700 or Expedition, preferably fairly new. Not bothered about extras, until I've got used to triking.

The Catrike 700 is a fine machine, not best suited for rough roads, but I did a regular 25 mile round trip commute on Doncaster's rough roads and it took the punishment. I now use a Trice with rear suspension for occasional commutes (it'll be my main machine come Winter) and a Raptobike most of the time. If your ever t'other side of Doncaster and want to try out a Trice, I'm only in Scawthorpe.

D Tek have had a few Catrikes on eBay lately, but they're not the cheapest.

Horses for courses....

The engineering and finish on the Kettwiesel and stunning attention to detall are better than the ICE.

Equally the over engineered HP Velotechnik would match the ICE standards easily

OP
OP
A

Angliaboffin

Regular
I'm certainly considering something from Ice. I'm bidding on one of the older ones on that auction site at the moment.
Tried a kettwiesel, but felt too high and out in the open. Maybe later on, when I've got used to being feet first.
The HP velotechnics seem to be very heavy, and I'm still new enough to this to think that this matters.

paul fellows

i have been looking at the atomic zombie after seeing references to it here. might be a way to get a cheap trike, if you have the skills that i lack.
what do the people here think might be the closest matching AZ, to what Anglia is thinking about.
http://www.atomiczombie.com/Warrior Recumbent Tadpole Racing Trike.aspx

I've got a Performer recumbent bike (Amigo) from 2006. They are very well made, the welding is good and tidy, the equipment is Shimano XT or Deore or Sram, and it all works very nicely. Mine is cromo-steel and ally. The bearings are all sealed cartridge. It's all good kit, not top end, but very serviceable and won't let you down in 6 months time.

They are cheaper than the German or UK made machines as they are made in Taiwan (like many well-known DF bikes). If you email the Performer factory you get to talk to Christine (and not only me - others seem to have a dialogue with her too). Responses to emails are prompt. Spares are available, and all in all I think they are a very good product, especially so for the price. I don't think you'd be disappointed. I'd buy another.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've got a Performer recumbent bike (Amigo) from 2006. They are very well made, the welding is good and tidy, the equipment is Shimano XT or Deore or Sram, and it all works very nicely. Mine is cromo-steel and ally. The bearings are all sealed cartridge. It's all good kit, not top end, but very serviceable and won't let you down in 6 months time.

They are cheaper than the German or UK made machines as they are made in Taiwan (like many well-known DF bikes). If you email the Performer factory you get to talk to Christine (and not only me - others seem to have a dialogue with her too). Responses to emails are prompt. Spares are available, and all in all I think they are a very good product, especially so for the price. I don't think you'd be disappointed. I'd buy another.
Thanks, that's top of my list now.

The link was to the US dealer? The Aussie dealer seems to do a lot of business with UK buyers - I've heard that delivery is very quick from Oz too - or maybe they come direct from Performer. The TW Bent brand is also Performer - same bike/trike but with a different sticker!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you are checking e Bay regularly and getting outbid at the last minute. You obviously know the Real price you need to bid to get one. You just have too be realistic and dig deep.

....I'm a homebuilder, and built a couple of tadpole trikes, and a LWB, and have to say the LWB is by far my favourite ride of the two. Not that there's anything wrong with the trike (biased I know), it's just that the LWB is more suited to the local terrain round here - much easier to thread your way through the rough stuff, potholes, rock strewn tracks, crumbling tarmac, cow droppings etc. The trike will get used, it's great fun, just not as much as the LWB, and I still ride a MTB - good to have some variation.

The AZ Warrior looks a close match for the OP's initial choice. My seating position is much more upright, about the same as my car seat I think. The laid back position would suit good road surfaces where speed might be the main objective, but I think more upright suits rougher terrain.

Having the skillset is only part of the battle for the selfbuild route - availability of materials, doner parts, welding consumables - they all must be considered. The AZ gallery is testament to some very fine results from the available plans, so it can be done...........

Top Bottom