Loose plug socket cover - threadlock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fancy spending 20 mins on this one?
I was going to replace it with a double, but realised the butchering I would need to enact to get that box off might take the entire wall šŸ™„

Iā€™d love to meet the YTS trainee who installed it originally: shake him warmly by the throat šŸ¤£
Gave up and put a single back with a USB inā€¦
View attachment 695498

Why do think that's a big Job ... Seen a lot worse
Thats the work of DIY expert

mikeIow

Guru
Why do think that's a big Job ... Seen a lot worse
Thats the work of DIY expert

Nope: that is the work of the original house builder, circa 1990 šŸ¤£
(& still doesnā€™t look easy to me to fixā€¦.nail punch and drill sounds most likely to work, but time wasnā€™t on my side šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø)

There were a few shonky thingsā€¦..once, many years ago, our then 2yr old son tripped, banged his head on a multi-panel door. Pointed at the crack on the glass to show us where he banged his head, & cut his finger. I took the broken pane to a glazier, who asked if it was outside as it was ā€˜horticultural glassā€™, not rated for internal use.

We traced the current owners of the original building company - it was 9yrs old, companies taken over twice. Mildly threatened them with NHBC stuff, & they came round within 1 week to replace 40 panes in two sets of double doors.
Probably should have told them to fix everyoneā€™s on the street!

This year I ripped out the last original wardrobe, to find they had obviously put the light switch in the wrong place: big hole where the original went!
IMG_2112.jpeg

(the hole behind was inside a blanked section of the wardrobe!)

Last edited:
Iā€™d be tempted to use some of that tape that plumbers use and then screw it back in. Seems to work on most things!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I have a double socket where the threads must be a bit chuffed on the metal "Box in the wall" as you can screw the screw in but every now and again it slips (I have tried a new screw, its the thread in the box that is chuffed). do you reckon a dab of threadlock on the screw will help? or does anyone have a neat solutions short of changing the wall box, which is a bit of a nuclear option.

Bodge job donā€™t do it ! Get it replaced, easy enough but switch power off !! If not very sure at all get a sparky in !

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Iā€™d be tempted to use some of that tape that plumbers use and then screw it back in. Seems to work on most things!

I guess similar idea to using a bit of wire outer, except the outer will help locate. I guess if start PTFE up the screw shaft a bit it should all work fine and not hinder screw initially engaging the hole in the tab

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It wasn't an urgent job, all wedge / bodges failed so sorted with two of these.
Top job.

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_104000963.jpg
    PXL_20231007_104000963.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom