Loose plug socket cover - threadlock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Guru
Got to Agree get the box out and fit a new.
20 mins max of a job to undertake

Fancy spending 20 mins on this one?
I was going to replace it with a double, but realised the butchering I would need to enact to get that box off might take the entire wall 🙄

I’d love to meet the YTS trainee who installed it originally: shake him warmly by the throat 🤣
Gave up and put a single back with a USB in…
IMG_2109.jpeg

D

Deleted member 26715

I was going to replace it with a double, but realised the butchering I would need to enact to get that box off might take the entire wall 🙄

I’d love to meet the YTS trainee who installed it originally: shake him warmly by the throat 🤣
View attachment 695498

That's easy, looks like you have a 'studded' wall all you need is to make the hole bigger & use
https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-2-gang-dry-lining-knockout-box-35mm/36960

Selection_421.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru

View attachment 695498

Old wiring. Centre punch each nail head in the middle. Use a small drill to start a hole, move to drill nearly the same size as the head. Drill off all the heads. Replace socket with metal backbox. Not difficult

OldShep

Ãœber Member
Old wiring. Centre punch each nail head in the middle. Use a small drill to start a hole, move to drill nearly the same size as the head. Drill off all the heads. Replace socket with metal backbox. Not difficult

If you were joking, I apologise in advance.
You can not be serious
one word
pincers

D

Deleted member 26715

Just breakout the old plastic box, punch the nails in (if you don't have pincers) & fit the dry lining box mentioned above.
Suspect if you grabbed the box with pliers the nails would come out, the usual reason why somebody would have put 9 nails in is because none of them are holding anything

newts

Veteran
Suspect if you grabbed the box with pliers the nails would come out, the usual reason why somebody would have put 9 nails in is because none of them are holding anything

I'm surprised that the box didn't shatter whilst driving the clout nails through, it's not even a recess back box🤠

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member

its worth mentioning that that old style back box has the sticky out socket boxes not the modern flush mount ones. I do think your best best is to completely remove it and fit a roper recessed double back box, and make good and repaint around the box if your hole cutting isnt spot on - or you need to move it a bit to get the recessed box in.

Top Bottom