Loose plug socket cover - threadlock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

{polite cough}

Actually they're M3.5.

I thought they were 3/16th

Edit :- Actually weren't they BA thread

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Me too ! I was in a shared house with separate meters per floor. I got the manky basement quite cheap given it was Ealing but the power was cut off, so the expedient solution was to connect in to my pal's first floor meter and split the bill. Insulated pliers, rubber gloves, rubber boots and job done safely if illegally. It was quite a while back

Years ago, an electrician was replacing the main switch on our old consumer unit. He broke the seal on the electricity company's fuse in order to remove it while replacing the switch. It's not been reinstated since which is quite handy if you want to work on the consumer unit etc

Gwylan

Veteran
maybe grease a bolt thread and use that bolt to hold glued nut in place with socket face plate off / open. remove bolt from nut when dry (pray the glue hasn't got into the threads), and then replace face plate and screw in.

this is value of pooled idea's. :okay:

rejecting this one, I don't think an m4 or 5 is going to go thru the cover plate hole.

Careful drilling might help.

Remember Flanders & Swan though

Change the box, but that really opens a can of worms. Possibly a search for a plasterer too.

Super glue the whole socket to the wall. Its not in the wiring regs but it won't wobble.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
At the risk of making a serious suggestion maybe retap the thread to the next size up. half or full mm should have enough meat left to do this without too much risk

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At the risk of making a serious suggestion maybe retap the thread to the next size up. half or full mm should have enough meat left to do this without too much risk

You should be able to tap it to M4. If the new screw is too big to fit the socket, just drill it out. You'll only be taking off 0.25mm all round the socket hole.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Surprised nobody has suggested winding in a wood screw yet…

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I have the ideal solution - I've used it and it works! Just like a rawlplug....... strip about 10mm of the plastic insulation off a spare wire, make a cut across the diameter of the plastic 'tube' at one end to a depth of about 3mm, so the end can be spread to prevent it falling right through the threaded hole in the metal, and it also makes a lead-in for the screw. Push plastic into threaded hole. Put plate on and insert screw and tighten.
Two fine suggestions👍 neither of which involve smashing plaster off the wall🤣

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
In the places at work where they might be needed we used to have emergency rubber gloves rated at 10,000V.

The rivet in the screw hole connects the box to the earth connection on the socket.

I think they have a thick enough wall to sacrifice a tiny bit. Anyway, there are two screws.

Top Bottom