Loose plug socket cover - threadlock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have a double socket where the threads must be a bit chuffed on the metal "Box in the wall" as you can screw the screw in but every now and again it slips (I have tried a new screw, its the thread in the box that is chuffed). do you reckon a dab of threadlock on the screw will help? or does anyone have a neat solutions short of changing the wall box, which is a bit of a nuclear option.

OldShep

Über Member
Maybe try bonding a nut on behind the original tag of metal.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
the last person to secure that bolt must have cross threaded it. Threadlock won't do much unless it's the red type and enough of the threads are touching their opposing threads. There is usually quite a bit of pressure against them, as the wires are thick and trying to push the cover out. If it were me I'd get someone to fit a new box and cover

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
might be worth a shot, although a bit fiddly, I might end up sticking myself to it with superglue

Or getting it slightly misaligned so the screw won't go in.
maybe grease a bolt thread and use that bolt to hold glued nut in place with socket face plate off / open. remove bolt from nut when dry (pray the glue hasn't got into the threads), and then replace face plate and screw in.

this is value of pooled idea's. :okay:

Socket screws are M3... Try M4/5
rejecting this one, I don't think an m4 or 5 is going to go thru the cover plate hole.

presta

Guru
changing the wall box, which is a bit of a nuclear option

It's not that much bother, if you scrape the plaster from round the box with something thin like an old hacksaw blade the socket will cover most of it without filling when you put it back. Do you not keep leftover paint & paper for patching this sort of stuff?

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
31lLGnU1mBL._AC_.jpg

Available here.
51X+QmJQjTL._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

It's not that much bother, if you scrape the plaster from round the box with something thin like an old hacksaw blade the socket will cover most of it without filling when you put it back. Do you not keep leftover paint & paper for patching this sort of stuff?

Switch off electric first!

Fastpedaller

I have the ideal solution - I've used it and it works! Just like a rawlplug....... strip about 10mm of the plastic insulation off a spare wire, make a cut across the diameter of the plastic 'tube' at one end to a depth of about 3mm, so the end can be spread to prevent it falling right through the threaded hole in the metal, and it also makes a lead-in for the screw. Push plastic into threaded hole. Put plate on and insert screw and tighten.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In my yoof I have disconnected & reconnected live tails coming into the house, wouldn't do it now

Me too ! I was in a shared house with separate meters per floor. I got the manky basement quite cheap given it was Ealing but the power was cut off, so the expedient solution was to connect in to my pal's first floor meter and split the bill. Insulated pliers, rubber gloves, rubber boots and job done safely if illegally. It was quite a while back

Top Bottom