Loose Shimano Rear Hub - Can’t Tighten

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have a Shimano FH-RS500 rear hub with disc brakes. 10 speed cassette. Bearings still in good shape and runs smooth at the correct tension. I have not dismantled it and don’t want to.

However: It has become loose and in principle this is an easy fix. However the cone nuts (?) are recessed into the cassette rotor body on the drive side and again below the level of the disc rotor on the brake side.

This means I can’t get the cone spanners in to hold the nut while I tighten the locking nut.

Any ideas?

CXRAndy

Guru
I have a Shimano FH-RS500 rear hub with disc brakes. 10 speed cassette. Bearings still in good shape and runs smooth at the correct tension. I have not dismantled it and don’t want to.

However: It has become loose and in principle this is an easy fix. However the cone nuts (?) are recessed into the cassette rotor body on the drive side and again below the level of the disc rotor on the brake side.

This means I can’t get the cone spanners in to hold the nut while I tighten the locking nut.

Any ideas?

Photos will help immensely

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Photos will help immensely

Not brilliant under electric lights, but does this help?

01BCF2B3-0D4C-47B7-91D9-08DCA24539CD.jpeg
22F7509A-D288-4DDD-A9BE-18B452FB5C93.jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
Without personal knowledge of this setup, I'd attack it as follows.
Free hub side, forget about, I'd work on the other side. If you remove the 'spider' that's mounted on top of the disc, does that then expose the cone nuts

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Without personal knowledge of this setup, I'd attack it as follows.
Free hub side, forget about, I'd work on the other side. If you remove the 'spider' that's mounted on top of the disc, does that then expose the cone nuts

Possibly. I’ve found a way of sorting out the drive side. I am thinking you may be right and I’ll have to take the rotor disc off to expose the cone nut enough to get a purchase so I can tighten the lock nut.

Does anyone disagree before I take the rotor off?

Don’t be tempted to undo the five screws to get the rotor off, that looks like a center lock converter mount - so you’ll need the same splined tool used to remove the cassette.

Sorry if you already know that and I’m teaching you to suck eggs. :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
Is this the same? it doesn't explain but an exploded picture can some times help
Screenshot_20190311-184232_Docs To Go.jpg

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Is this the same? it doesn't explain but an exploded picture can some times help View attachment 457058

Thanks for this. I guess that’s similar save for the nuts. I may have a chance at lunch tomorrow to remove the rotor disc and see if I can access the bolts then. That’s got to be it surely. Either that or special cone spanner’s that fit into a recess, but I can’t find reference to that anywhere. And as a couple of posters upthread have mentioned removing the rotor, I’ll try it. Thank you for this. It formulates it in my tiny mind.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You have all been elevated to hero status.

Drive side sorted by loosening off brake side enough to expose the cone nut. Check

Then as suggested I removed the disc (centre lock so super easy) with it’s collar and this exposed the cone nut. Check

Happy as Larry now and safe in the knowledge I saved myself the expense of a new hub bearing kit or worse an entire new hub and wheel build.

Thanks all. You may have my full and profound gratitude.

Top Bottom