Lorry with build in table kills cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm sure your are correct. However reading some UK trucking forums is not a great advert for HGV drivers and their opinion on cyclists and the value of their lives is worrying.

I suppose there are keyboard warriors on truck forums as there are elsewhere.

Lorry drivers, and some cyclists, do have a bunker mentality.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

A 'bunker mentality', you say? And roughly how many lorry drivers are killed by cyclists each year?

johnnyb47

Guru
Absolutely, Like everything in life there's good and bad in all walks of life. I deal with around 200 hgv drivers every week and mostly there highly professional in there job. Sadly it only takes one laxed driver though to cause catastrophic damage to someone's life.

Skanker

Absolutely, Like everything in life there's good and bad in all walks of life. I deal with around 200 hgv drivers every week and mostly there highly professional in there job. Sadly it only takes one laxed driver though to cause catastrophic damage to someone's life.
I’m in logistics too and most of the drivers I encounter are very professional. My dad was an hgv driver for over 50 years with only one accident, when a stupid car driver decided to undertake him going around a roundabout. Luckily no one was hurt in that, apart from the car drivers pants but he murdered them himself!

lane

Veteran

Maybe. But in the forum I have looked at I would say it seems the prevailing attitude not a minority.

cambiker71

There are some extremely good lorry drivers about though, some that have reactions and driving skills that save plenty of clueless cyclists lives.
This crazy and extremely lucky idiot from where I work springs to mind, him and his child are only still breathing thanks to the drivers reactions:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1066874/Cyclist-accident-roundabout-Surrey-Weybridge-lorry-toddler-seat?
I agreed fully to start with, but watch it again with the sound turned up! The truck that the camera is in, is far to the left going up to a 3 way roundabout, cyclist is overtaking turning right. Only after the cyclist passed and the horn had been sounded did the lorry driver indicate his intentions to turn from the left of the lane to turn right, you can clearly hear the indicators start to click after he has joined the roundabout area just after the swearing. Granted the cyclist wasn't thinking much about oncoming traffic either so was also very much in the wrong.

Skanker

I agreed fully to start with, but watch it again with the sound turned up! The truck that the camera is in, is far to the left going up to a 3 way roundabout, cyclist is overtaking turning right. Only after the cyclist passed and the horn had been sounded did the lorry driver indicate his intentions to turn from the left of the lane to turn right, you can clearly hear the indicators start to click after he has joined the roundabout area just after the swearing. Granted the cyclist wasn't thinking much about oncoming traffic either so was also very much in the wrong.
You are looking at the wrong lorry, it’s the big red one that has to use quick thinking to prevent driving right over the cyclist as he swung out to overtake the stationary camera lorry who had obviously pulled far left to let the red one come around the roundabout.

cambiker71

You are looking at the wrong lorry, it’s the big red one that has to use quick thinking to prevent driving right over the cyclist as he swung out to overtake the stationary camera lorry who had obviously pulled far left to let the red one come around the roundabout.
Got you, yes he's the good one here!

Skanker

Got you, yes he's the good one here!
That guy and his poor child are very lucky it was a good driver. He is definitely not doing much in the name of cyclists or responsible fathers.
That’s a 50+ ton tipper truck!
You would hope to go quickly if that drove over you. I think you would need a man with a jet wash to come and deal with you rather than an ambulance!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Looking out for people so as not to crush them to death is not some kind of special extra service - it's the bare minimum that should be expected from a person operating anything that dangerous in a public space. And that includes looking out for people who make foolish manouevres (although of course in most cases where people are killed and injured by drivers the victim is not doing anything untoward or unusual). Pedestrians and cyclists slipping through small spaces amongst things, whether well or badly judged, is what happens in all urban areas where there are lots of people going about their business. It may be nervewracking for drivers, but tough - it is those who are operating the vehicles that bring the extraordinary danger to the situation that need to adapt - if they can't, then they are not fit to share public space.

Skanker

Looking out for people so as not to crush them to death is not some kind of special extra service - it's the bare minimum that should be expected from a person operating anything that dangerous in a public space. And that includes looking out for people who make foolish manouevres (although of course in most cases where people are killed and injured by drivers the victim is not doing anything untoward or unusual). Pedestrians and cyclists slipping through small spaces amongst things, whether well or badly judged, is what happens in all urban areas where there are lots of people going about their business. It may be nervewracking for drivers, but tough - it is those who are operating the vehicles that bring the extraordinary danger to the situation that need to adapt - if they can't, then they are not fit to share public space.
Vehicles can’t be stopped instantly, no matter how good the driver is or how well they are driving.
If something goes wrong in front of a vehicle, and even if that drivers reacts instantly and does everything perfectly, it might not be physically possible for that vehicle to stop in the distance that you are from them.
It’s not a matter of what they do, it has too many variables to guarantee that things won’t end terribly, and you can’t just say that the driver should have been able to avoid it or they shouldn’t be on the road!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Vehicles can’t be stopped instantly, no matter how good the driver is or how well they are driving.
If something goes wrong in front of a vehicle, and even if that drivers reacts instantly and does everything perfectly, it might not be physically possible for that vehicle to stop in the distance that you are from them.
It’s not a matter of what they do, it has too many variables to guarantee that things won’t end terribly, and you can’t just say that the driver should have been able to avoid it or they shouldn’t be on the road!
Neither can pedestrians or cyclists materialise out of thin air. But everyone can proceed in such a manner that they can stop within the distance they can see to be clear, and everyone can wait to make a manouevre until anyone they would otherwise squash is out of the way. The point is that the driver in the case to which this thread pertains deliberately limited his ability to do either, and killed someone as a result. It would be a relief if we could make it through just one of the numerous threads about lorry drivers and other motorists killing people through negligence or stupidity or aggression or all three without someone invoking the irrelevant misdemeanours of unrelated cyclists and entreating us to think of the poor drivers. It was easy for Bradbury to kill Bull because the standards to which lorries are routinely driven is nowhere near good enough for them to be trusted to share the roads. Cyclists simply don't kill drivers, so it's neither useful nor appropriate to focus on cyclist behaviour here.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Neither can pedestrians or cyclists materialise out of thin air. But everyone can proceed in such a manner that they can stop within the distance they can see to be clear, and everyone can wait to make a manouevre until anyone they would otherwise squash is out of the way. The point is that the driver in the case to which this thread pertains deliberately limited his ability to do either, and killed someone as a result. It would be a relief if we could make it through just one of the numerous threads about lorry drivers and other motorists killing people through negligence or stupidity or aggression or all three without someone invoking the irrelevant misdemeanours of unrelated cyclists and entreating us to think of the poor drivers. It was easy for Bradbury to kill Bull because the standards to which lorries are routinely driven is nowhere near good enough for them to be trusted to share the roads. Cyclists simply don't kill drivers, so it's neither useful nor appropriate to focus on cyclist behaviour here.
This not in any way a comment on the doctor's death, just one on your post above.
Here's a driver who reacted pretty well to sudden circumstances. Some will say that he should have anticipated the event because there was a school bus ahead. My personal opinion is that we should take a tiny bit of responsibility for our own safety on the road and not delegate it to others because of a sense of righteousness, whether as a pedestrian , cyclist, or even car driver. If you do, you might get avoidably hurt.
[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n44L-SOI1I8[/media]

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This not in any way a comment on the doctor's death, just one on your post above.
Here's a driver who reacted pretty well to sudden circumstances. Some will say that he should have anticipated the event because there was a school bus ahead. My personal opinion is that we should take a tiny bit of responsibility for our own safety on the road and not delegate it to others because of a sense of righteousness, whether as a pedestrian , cyclist, or even car driver. If you do, you might get avoidably hurt.
[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n44L-SOI1I8[/media]

:ohmy:

Top Bottom