Losing Money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Anybody had that sinking feeling when you get home and the money you had in your pocket wasn’t there?

It was a while ago but I had that sinking feeling after just using an ATM. Just getting in this car and could hear an annoying beep. Turned round to see the £50 odd quid i'd drawn out still in the machine. I dashed back but the machine drew it back in.

No problem. I'll call the branch Monday morning to explain what happened, only to be assured the machine hadn't registered the returned cash and the float balanced.

Sorry to hear that.

On the point about cash machines, about twenty years ago, walked up to the HSBC cash machine in the small market town I used to live in, nobody at the till, so went to put my card in, and the machine dispensed a chunk of cash. I picked it up, it was £380!

I did that dozy looking round thing, despite absolutely nobody being around when I walked up.

On basis that I would be pretty annoyed if I had tried to take cash out, only for machine not to dispense the cash and then subsequently chuck it at some subsequent random stranger, plus it was a decent amount, especially all those years ago, I walked into the Bank handed the cash over explaining what had happened.

The bank cashier couldn't quite believe I had handed it in (would she have done so, who knows?)

Anyway, she said that there would probabaly be a small cash thank you from the Bank and asked for my details. Funnily enough, I never heard anything again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Anybody had that sinking feeling when you get home and the money you had in your pocket wasn’t there?
Yes!
This summer, I bought a used office chair from a junk shop round the corner from here. I pushed it back here with a carrier bag of shopping resting on the seat. When I got here, I realised that the bag had gone, fallen off the chair without me noticing it. I dashed back down the road, round the corner and spotted the bag in the middle of the pavement. With great relief I retrieved it only to find that in the couple of minutes that it had been lying there, some toerag had discovered my wallet in the bag and had stolen it. They clearly were not that keen on their '5-a-day' though because the fruit and veg in the bag had been ignored!
Happened to me this morning took £100 out of the atm put it in my side pocket,got home zilch.
Retraced my steps but to no avail.
Gutted 😢 but it’s gone.No use crying over spilt milk.
🤬🤬🤬
Ouch - bad luck!

I only lost about £30 in cash but I had the hassle of cancelling my cards and then having to get a replacement railcard (which cost me £10).

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've not lost that much cash, though I recognise the sinking feeling. I once put my smartphone between my legs while sat on a bench in Mumbai, then eventually got up and walked away without putting it back away. I realised about ten minutes later, went back with a sense of dread, but there it was, still there! People had seen it, but guarded it until I came back. It gladdened my heart.
I also left a wallet full of Euros and a smartphone in the back seat of a taxi in Cork, the driver brought them back to me 20 minutes later when his next (very honest) fare found them on the back seat. It gives you faith in humanity, I gave the passenger and driver 10 Euro each as they saved me a lot of worry and hassle.

I hasten to add in my defence that this is only 2 incidents over about 8 years... I mean, okay I'm mildly careless at times, but not always the completely oblivious knucklehead my experiences would suggest.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I left home for a ride with £25 and only had a fiver when I reached the cafe stop, so that was twenty quid gone somewhere.

My mobile phone bounced out of my bar bag on a bumpy stretch of the C2C in County Durham.

I left a fairly new pair of gloves on a bench in Seaham, County Durham, and managed to leave my Coast and Castles map on a cafe table in Blyth, Northumberland.

Sounds rather a lot of losses, but that is over more than 10 years.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am still annoyed over leaving a copy of 'Angela's Ashes' in the seat back of an aeroplane 15 years or so ago. I only had a couple of pages to go and was furiously trying to finish it off whilst people were disembarking and tucked it in the pocket whilst I grabbed my carry on bag. I realised just as the bus to the terminal closed it's doors. I never did finish it, nor have I watched the film.

Polocini

Veteran
I was once out having a few beers and went to the cash machine. Can't remember why I was in a rush drunk/taxi/raining, I grabbed my card but didn't get the cash.
I went into the bank on the Monday morning and they had it. It didn't go back into the account but the machine keeps all the uncollected money. Apparently it was a regular occurrence.

bruce1530

Guru
McDonalds in Trongate in Glasgow city centre.

A group of young ladies had placed an order and were waiting.
Guy comes in, stands in queue, being a bit obnoxious. Made some inappropriate/sexist/mysoginistic comments to the ladies. They ignored him, he continued.

He took something out of his pocket, and a fiver fell on the floor. Guy steps up to counter, places order. Young lady collects her order, and picks up the fiver. Was about to hand it back to him when he said something inappropriate to her.

So she walked out, giving the fiver to a homeless guy outside, meanwhile the rude guy is inside, searching thru his pockets and explaining why he cant pay for his order.

I was an amused observer. (I may also have been the proud father of that young lady...)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sorry to hear this. Yes I've had that feeling. At Uni many years ago I transferred a lot of my student loan into a high interest savings account (on the advice of my dad). I was going through a rough period at the time and to cut a long story short, I couldn't remember who i'd banked with. I couldn't find any documentation. Of course no online stuff back then. So I'm pretty sure I lost over a grand that's sitting in an account somewhere. If ever they were to write to me, I wouldn't get the post because I chnaged address every year for 4 years and would have no chnace of retrieving the mail. I tried phoning all the companies I could think of but they all said no I didn't have an account with them :sad:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Happened to me this morning took £100 out of the atm put it in my side pocket,got home zilch.
Retraced my steps but to no avail.
Gutted 😢 but it’s gone.No use crying over spilt milk.
🤬🤬🤬

Had that feeling since I took up cycling... all my money disappears now for some reason!

I've list a few of these shiny plastic £10 and £20 notes, getting them out of my pockey in the pre-Covid days when I used to take cash to the pub.

On the other side of the coin I once found £500 in an envelope at the back of a kitchen cabinet drawer. I eventually realised it had been there for a couple of years since my father died and it was some of the money he had secreted around his house.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I found a wallet in a car park......it literally had £1000Ks in it.
There was a credit card and the name matched a nearby builders van.
I hung around until he turned up and I verified his id before handing it to him.
He had not realised he had lost it. It was all the wages for his lads.
He didn't even say thanks......I think/hope he was in shock.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In the early 80s I cashed a cheque in a bank in Clapham. The cashier gave me £10 too much. Or was it £5, I dunno. I can remember frantically trying to unlock my bike outside as quickly as possible in order to make my getaway after the big heist. I got away with it. :ph34r:
I had a problem giving the surplus back when it happened to me! :laugh:

ColinJ: "Excuse me, you just gave me the wrong change."

Till Person: "No I didn't."

CJ: "You did and it needs to be sorted out."

TP: "Piss off - I gave you the right change!"

CJ: "Look, this is your last chance. You gave me £10 too much and if you want the money in the till to be right at the end of your shift, I suggest that you take it back!"

TP stares at me with blank incomprehension, flushes violently and slowly holds out hand...

gbb

Legendary Member
My wallet once slipped out my pocket in the toilets at work once. I didnt even know until the office rang me...handed In, minus £130 iirc.

Imagine how this bloke felt....
My late brother worked for the council and after either Truckfest or the East of England agricultural show they used to send crews to clear up.
My brother picked up a black plastic bag, one of several left by a trade stall and for whatever reason looked inside......:eek:, there was thousands of pounds in there . It transpired the trader had put the bag down while loading his van and forgot it.
That moment of realisation on the traders part must have been almost heart attack stuff.

Top Bottom