Low impact indoor aerobic exercise ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beanzontoast
jimboalee said:
So you don't have a velodrome in your garden either???

It's only just big enough for the shed!

:evil:

walker

low impact and people are recommending skipping? forgive me if I don't ask you for exercise idea's.

Have you tried just walking? presuming you have decent trainers

OP
OP
beanzontoast
walker said:
low impact and people are recommending skipping? forgive me if I don't ask you for exercise idea's.

Have you tried just walking? presuming you have decent trainers

I take the point on skipping, but I think it the impact depends on the action itself to some degree and how much force you come down with. I got to be pretty good at it a while back and could skip fast and smoothly, so might give it a go again.

The walking - as mentioned, about an hour a day while I've been off the bike, and trying not to dawdle.

Brahan

Über Member
Do 3 squats then 10 punches followed by 3 squats then 10 punches and repeat until you can go no more. Also try various stress positions like the 'plank' and lying on your back and raising your feet a few inches off the floor. Try holding your stress potitions for as long as possible and mix them up as much as you can. 30 minutes will have you sweating and the heart will be working nicely.

jimboalee

Don't bother with skipping as an indoor exercise. Unless you keep away from the ceiling lamps.

I had a video once "Fitness Wins" by the Army Physical Training Corps. It was by the BBC.

At first view, it looked a Piece o P. Nope.

I can't find any mention of it on the internet so can't post a link.

I used to do the routines in my lounge in front of the telly.

Fiona N

Veteran
beanzontoast said:
I take the point on skipping, but I think it the impact depends on the action itself to some degree and how much force you come down with. I got to be pretty good at it a while back and could skip fast and smoothly, so might give it a go again.

It always amazes me how quickly skipping gets you fit especially as, once you're proficient, your feet hardly leave the floor. I'm not sure I'd call it low impact exactly, but it's definitely not like the impact from running - bashing down onto your heel every stride.
I used to skip for 20 minute sessions when I didn't have time for the X-C run prescribed for college rowers (as a science student, I didn't have the free afternoons of some others in the crew - and we rowed at dawn). I reckon a 20 min non-stop session was easily the equivalent of a moderately leisurely 45 min (5 mile) run - although it targeted a different fitness zone as I was pretty much on my anaerobic threshold for the whole time (thus great training for rowing).

I definitely wouldn't risk skipping indoors unless it was a nice big high sports hall - as Jimbo says, those pesky light fittings, floor lamps, coffee tables, kids and dogs are all just waiting to get tangled in with you :biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I do have dodgy knees, but I've found step excercises Ok.

They're not too bad either, with the ipod tuned in to a dance radio station.
Not quite as tedious as the turbo trainer anyway!

I meant for ages to make a step out of some old wood, but never quite got round to it.
I refused to pay the £25.00 for the "proper" Reebok one too but I finally gave in and bought a Tesco's version for £10.00.

Top Bottom