Low impact indoor aerobic exercise ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like many, I've been off my bike this past few weeks and though I've done my daily stretches and weights, I don't feel that I've had anything like the aerobic activity that my cycling gives. More snow forecast here midweek too... :evil:

I'm not a runner, don't 'do gyms, haven't got an exercise bike or turbo, and don't want to bodge my knees, but I do want to keep my leg muscles in shape. (Enough of a list? :evil:;)). I've been walking at a fairly brisk pace for about an hour a day while being off the bike, but that doesn't raise the heart rate much in my case. (Jumping around on a friend's Wii at the weekend did though - I didn't manage to get round to trying the Wii jog device, but that looked like a bit of fun too. I mean, jogging in your living room isn't half as demanding as pounding the cold wet streets, is it?).

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Like many, I've been off my bike this past few weeks and though I've done my daily stretches and weights, I don't feel that I've had anything like the aerobic activity that my cycling gives. More snow forecast here midweek too... :evil:

I'm not a runner, don't 'do gyms, haven't got an exercise bike or turbo, and don't want to bodge my knees, but I do want to keep my leg muscles in shape. (Enough of a list? :ohmy:;)). I've been walking at a fairly brisk pace for about an hour a day while being off the bike, but that doesn't raise the heart rate much in my case. (Jumping around on a friend's Wii at the weekend did though - I didn't manage to get round to trying the Wii jog device, but that looked like a bit of fun too. I mean, jogging in your living room isn't half as demanding as pounding the cold wet streets, is it?).

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Like many, I've been off my bike this past few weeks and though I've done my daily stretches and weights, I don't feel that I've had anything like the aerobic activity that my cycling gives. More snow forecast here midweek too... :ohmy:

I'm not a runner, don't 'do gyms, haven't got an exercise bike or turbo, and don't want to bodge my knees, but I do want to keep my leg muscles in shape. (Enough of a list? :biggrin:;)). I've been walking at a fairly brisk pace for about an hour a day while being off the bike, but that doesn't raise the heart rate much in my case. (Jumping around on a friend's Wii at the weekend did though - I didn't manage to get round to trying the Wii jog device, but that looked like a bit of fun too. I mean, jogging in your living room isn't half as demanding as pounding the cold wet streets, is it?).

Any thoughts?

PK99

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:

I'm not a runner, don't 'do gyms, haven't got an exercise bike or turbo, and don't want to bodge my knees, but I do want to keep my leg muscles in shape. (Enough of a list? :evil:;)). I've been walking at a fairly brisk pace for about an hour a day while being off the bike, but that doesn't raise the heart rate much in my case. (Jumping around on a friend's Wii at the weekend did though - I didn't manage to get round to trying the Wii jog device, but that looked like a bit of fun too. I mean, jogging in your living room isn't half as demanding as pounding the cold wet streets, is it?).

Any thoughts?

Step on and off the bottom step on the staircase for half an hour

PK99

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:

I'm not a runner, don't 'do gyms, haven't got an exercise bike or turbo, and don't want to bodge my knees, but I do want to keep my leg muscles in shape. (Enough of a list? :ohmy:;)). I've been walking at a fairly brisk pace for about an hour a day while being off the bike, but that doesn't raise the heart rate much in my case. (Jumping around on a friend's Wii at the weekend did though - I didn't manage to get round to trying the Wii jog device, but that looked like a bit of fun too. I mean, jogging in your living room isn't half as demanding as pounding the cold wet streets, is it?).

Any thoughts?

PK99

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
Like many, I've been off my bike this past few weeks and though I've done my daily stretches and weights, I don't feel that I've had anything like the aerobic activity that my cycling gives. More snow forecast here midweek too... :wacko:

I'm not a runner, don't 'do gyms, haven't got an exercise bike or turbo, and don't want to bodge my knees, but I do want to keep my leg muscles in shape. (Enough of a list? :blush:;)). I've been walking at a fairly brisk pace for about an hour a day while being off the bike, but that doesn't raise the heart rate much in my case. (Jumping around on a friend's Wii at the weekend did though - I didn't manage to get round to trying the Wii jog device, but that looked like a bit of fun too. I mean, jogging in your living room isn't half as demanding as pounding the cold wet streets, is it?).

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
beanzontoast
PK99 said:

The idea of a 'stepper' type activity is one I'd read about elsewhere, but I wonder if stepping is harder on the knees than 30 mins cycling would be? (I don't have a knee problem - but I don't want to give myself one either).

OP
OP
beanzontoast
PK99 said:

The idea of a 'stepper' type activity is one I'd read about elsewhere, but I wonder if stepping is harder on the knees than 30 mins cycling would be? (I don't have a knee problem - but I don't want to give myself one either).

OP
OP
beanzontoast
PK99 said:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
+1 PK99. Should be hard on knees and you can carry a tin of beans or similar in each hand to make it slightly tougher if you like.

another old favourite is skipping. very low impact, very high CV impact if you know what I mean

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
+1 PK99. Should be hard on knees and you can carry a tin of beans or similar in each hand to make it slightly tougher if you like.

another old favourite is skipping. very low impact, very high CV impact if you know what I mean

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

adscrim

Veteran
+1 on the skipping and add some single leg squats. There is an article in this weeks CW about how good squats are for your cycling.

adscrim

Veteran
+1 on the skipping and add some single leg squats. There is an article in this weeks CW about how good squats are for your cycling.

adscrim

Veteran

Top Bottom